New Member from the US

esack007

My wife and I have enjoyed LSW for many years and believe we have collected every episode available on DVD to date.

Some time ago before we know of the summerwine.net web site, we began to attempt to locate temporary and permanent episode locates using Google Earth and Street View. Very often there were enough clues in the episodes that we could find the location and save it in both Air and Street Views.

One location that always escaped us was the second Cleggy and Howard row house location. We could figure out that it was close to Jackson Bridge but could never quite find the location trying by trying to compare the episode views toward the hills with the Google views.

Thanks to this site we were rewarded with the location and a view of the row houses and that led to then following up by comparing all of the locations listed with the set we had tried to figure out on our own.

I guess some would say that this is a rather strange hobby but, hey, riding the roads around Holmfirth from the computer keyboard was one way of our enjoying that wonderful part of the world and we will continue to look at the next corner for a new pub or reservoir or hill that we recognize from the series.

Regards Ed and Genie

So where in the US of A are y'all? We be here in Durham NC.

And ... why not grab a flight and a car and go see
Jackson Bridge (and Holmfirth and Marsden) for your
own selves?? It's a great place to tour.

Our U.S. location is Coronado, California.

We have spent time to the north of Yorkshire (Scotland)
and loved the highlands but the hills and towns
in which LSW was filmed seem to have a magic all
their own. We envy those of the forum who either
live in the area or have visited it.

Ed and Genie

Great to have so many new people, look forward to hearing (or should that be reading!) your contributions ...

Welcome to the club! I'm from Springfield, Virginia (near Washington, DC) and I too find that it is almost magical to see the hills in the surrounding environs of Holmfirth. I especially enjoy the long shots that are shot from the highest hill which show unending hills, dales, hedgerows, and fields for miles and miles. I have tried to figure out which direction this is, but due to the fact that the no shadows, it is hard to tell. But looking at my copy of the DK British Travel Guide, it looks like the best hills are to the South. I especially enjoy the times that they film on what I have come to call Heather Hill. It is sort of a scruffy hill covered with heather. It was used (among many scenes of course) during the show that ended with Howard and Marina falling out of treehouse in front of Pearl and all of the other ladies. But in this scene, Howard and Marina are walking their bikes up this Hill (there's a road) carrying a load of wood on their way to some woods to build this treehouse. But actually, I enjoy any and all scenes of the countryside. Waterfalls, viaducts, streams, rivers, and lakes -- it is all magical.

You know the phrase, "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence?" Well, I have always admired the really green grass and always thought that Yorkshire grass always looks like this until I read somewhere that a Colorist was busy waving his magic wand over the grass and voila -- really green grass. Ha, ha.

Our U.S. location is Coronado, California.

We have spent time to the north of Yorkshire (Scotland)
and loved the highlands but the hills and towns
in which LSW was filmed seem to have a magic all
their own. We envy those of the forum who either
live in the area or have visited it.

Ed and Genie

I'm from the other Coast. Mega dittos. There is magic in those hills and I too envy those who live in the area or can just jump in their car and head for Holmfirth.

welcome to you both...i'm lucky to live just over an hours drive from holmfirth and have visited it and lots of other locations...having said that i dont find it strange that you search the area with your keyboard as transport, i still do that regularly...hope you manage to get across the pond to see it all sometime :)

Back