New BBC Comedy

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
Well that is how they describe it on iplayer, so I thought I would check them out

1. Crims.......what a load of rubbish must be over 16 to watch yet must of been written by a 5 year old

2. Count Arthur Strong,well this is series 2 how it even made it past episode 1 I don't know

3. The Wrong Mans again on series 2 and written by the younger sibling of Crims

4.People Just do nothing,well I wish they had done nothing and not bothered to write this

Maybe it's me, I am getting old and remember real comedy,so pleased I am not paying anything to the BBC for the production of this junk

ok, Terry, I watched about 30 seconds of Crim . . you are right. But I like this exchange . . Wait a minute, I can't look after you 7-11.
It's 24/7
That sounds more do-able.

Last edited:
Count Arthur

I was somewhat dismayed that Count Arthur Strong had made it to the big screen after 7 series on radio because they were never going to recreate it on TV . It has frankly robbed the show of all that was made it work , in my opinion , on radio.

Steve Delaney who solely wrote and starred as Count Arthur on the radio lost part of the creative control when it transferred to TV . The BEEB drafted in Graham Linehan who had co written Father Ted with Arthur Matthews , IT crowd and Black Books with Dylan Moran presumably because he is an established writer and it would offer Steve Delaney assistance in what I believe is his first venture into TV.

On radio the character is a well defined deluded old thespian who believes himself to be a top of the bill star when in reality he was at best a third rate bottom of the bill fill in. Great play is made of his malapropisms and how he exploits other people for his own gains but in a very comic way .

On TV the show is a great disappointment, there are very few laughs and more is made of the character played by Rory Kinnear [Roy's son] . On radio Count Arthur is the only main character everyone else plays minor although regular roles and don't hog the dialogue in the way Rory's does in the TV version [I assume this is Graham Linehan's influence].

There are often episodes of the radio show on BBC IPlayer perhaps you may choose to give one a listen quite understand if its not your cup of tea but in radio circles the show has cult status of a level very near to that of I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue. I think it is simply something that works on Radio that does not transfer well to TV

I was going to give The Wrong Men ago because Dawn French is in it but not sure I'm bother now.

BBC none related I know and sorry Terry for hijacking your thread but is anyone else going to watch Extant on Syfy tonight?

I was going to give The Wrong Men ago because Dawn French is in it but not sure I'm bother now.

BBC none related I know and sorry Terry for hijacking your thread but is anyone else going to watch Extant on Syfy tonight?

Pearl, I just watched some of The Wrong Mans . . . it is actually very good. Just 2 minutes so far, lol . . haven't seen dawn French yet, love her.

Well that is how they describe it on iplayer, so I thought I would check them out

1. Crims.......what a load of rubbish must be over 16 to watch yet must of been written by a 5 year old

Just watched 10 minutes of this rubbish, only lasted that long because the doofer was over there, my 4 year old could do better than that ! All the characters would be superheros and they'd be in Ninjago but he'd find better words beginning with F then the one and only chose these "Writers" knew and they'd be some sort of a story line in there somewhere.

I'm not sure if this counts as comedy, but they've started running a show called Grantchester which is about a vicar who solves crimes as he hounds a local DCI with his input, evidence, and sometimes even he even helps to catch the perp.

they've started running a show called Grantchester which is about a vicar who solves crimes as he hounds a local DCI with his input

Yes, we watched Grantchester some time ago and really
enjoyed it. Kinda like the early Father Brown episodes. Hope to
find more of them. I believe it was on US TV at the time
so I did not have to download it. A bit less "light"
then Father Brown, but really very good.

YI believe it was on US TV at the time so I did not have to download it.

It's currently being broadcast on this region's PBS station on Sunday evenings under the Masterpiece Mystery 'umbrella'. I enjoy a well-plotted mystery with interesting characters, so I like it a lot. Somehow, I managed to miss the first volume when it was published in 2012. There was a second one in 2013 and the third last year, all available in NOOK format, so probably in Kindle format as well. I've got some catching up to do!

Marianna

Just to look at The Wrong Mans I know I won't like it. I don't tend to bother with modern programmes, classic sitcoms are enough to keep me entertained.

I see Auntie is repeating Hi De Hi from the start at 16:40 ish every day on BBC2 which is long overdue , hopefully they will carry on in the same vein in the future with other classics . Having been to many of Sir Billy Butlin's and Fred Pontin's camps as a youngster the memories come flooding back when Gladys announces the day's activities over the tannoy beautifully enhanced by Croft and Perry with things like " who can get the most custard down the trousers competition" .

The chalets look so familiar and who else could employ a punch and judy man who hates kids priceless!

For Grantchester, so what is the name of the book that this show is based upon and who is the author? They list this information in the opening credits for about 7 seconds.

I see the BBC have broadcast a series 2 of "Up The Women" I think it aired on BBC 4, I just watched 10 mins of Series 2 episode 1 on iplayer, I found it utter rubbish with stacks of out of time canned laughter,how low can the BBC get in putting not just one series of this out let alone a new series beggars belief, or is it just me

Back