My Recent Trip

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
To Cornwall

A Spot where my wife's Aunt and Uncle used to live, he worked for the china clay works and had a house which went with the job on this spot, due to them passing some years ago and works expansion no trace of it is left

CV2.jpg

This is a reminder of my ride on the Bodmin railway

CV3.jpg

Really nice photographs Terry . I wondered if you had thought of perhaps leaving a little memento to mark the fact that your Aunt and Uncle had once resided in that area as a nod to their lives there .

A bit of info on the train

BR/GWR Churchward 2-8-0 Tank Class 4200 No. 4247 at Woodhams Scrapyard 1966
Date Photo Taken: 18/08/1966

BR/GWR Churchward 2-8-0 Tank Class 4200 No. 4247 at Woodham Brothers scrapyard, Barry, Wales on 18th August 1966. Built at Swindon Works in March 1916, it was withdrawn from 86F Tondu shed in April 1964 and sold for scrap to Woodham Bros of Barry in South Wales.

The class was designed for short-haul coal trips from coal mines to ports in South Wales, working 1000+ ton coal trains through the Welsh valleys. The locomotives were built with large boilers and narrow side tanks; these engines would pass numerous water stops along their routes so the limited tank capacity was not a constraint. Because of the class’s heavy water consumption and limited tank capacity they were nicknamed 'Water Carts'.

So the engine is 101 years old and still running testimony to the Engineers who built it and those volunteers who restored it.

Back