museums

amos hames

Dedicated Member
I have been visiting a lot of museums recently. The are so intresting. What is the best Museum you have visited anywhere in the world. I have been to so many around the world. A list soon.

I love museums. We went to Natural History museum in London a few years back and it was great so was the V&A next door. The buildings alone where worth the visit. We have a several good ones where I live.

I'd love to visit the Smithsonian.

I like them too: Beamish is a favourite, as is National Railway Museum, National Media Museum to mention some quite close. Another one I like is Bradford Industrial Museum although they have lost the working horse section (too expensive) but still a good collection of Jowetts.

For transport aficionados we have a couple of rail museums locally and a bus museum. And of course preserved railways are a form of museum - two locally.

We have always liked the Haynes Motor Museum down
in Somerset. Loads of neat cars.

Used to visit a bicycle museum in Camelford, but I fear
it's long gone.

I remember going to the Andy Warhol Museum in New York city in 2000. It was fascinating to see all his pictures. Also been to Museums in Boston. Sydney. Brisbane.
San Francisco. Prauge. Amsterdam and Paris. So Been around a bit. Some were good and some were not so good.

I remember going to the Andy Warhol Museum in New York city in 2000. It was fascinating to see all his pictures. Also been to Museums in Boston. Sydney. Brisbane.
San Francisco. Prauge. Amsterdam and Paris. So Been around a bit. Some were good and some were not so good.

Name dropper!! :16: :wink: (Like the old song I BEEN EVERYWHERE MAN!)

There's a wonderful airplane museum in Florida not too far from Cape Canaveral. It began as an airplane restoration workshop. The museum part began when people started showing up at the workshop and asking for tours.

On another note, any visits to the the Corcoran Gallery of Art (not connected with the Smithsonian) in Washington DC need to be made quickly as it about to be absorbed by the National Gallery of Art and the George Washington University.

Having being raised in Ohio, we were taught about the Civil War between the States. Having been living in Tennessee for over 20 years, I have been living on the land that actually fought battles of the Civil War. Walking distance from my house is farmland that was used as a campsite for the Confederates before they marched north to fight the Union. In Franklin, TN was a plantation called the Carnton House. It was used as a field hospital to take care of the wounded. They are restoring the house to the period of the 1860's. In some of the rooms they had the doors off of the hinges and used them as operating tables next to the windows. You can see the footprints of the Dr, and nurses stained in blood in the hardwood floors. Actually see where their apron was, and blood staining the floor below. They would amputate legs and arms and had them stacked up to the ceiling in the smoke house where they cooked. Cooking was done in a separate building next to the house. It was very interesting. Mrs. Carnton, kept excellent records and had a booklet with all of the men who died, and were buried on the property, had them marked , name, and State they represented. It was amazing to me because they lived the war. Also, during the Battle of Franklin, the Carter house, there are bullet holes visible ,as they tell the story on how this house was caught in the middle of a fight. When family would come to visit, that is one of the places I would take my family. It is apart of our history and it makes me look differently at what I learned in school, long ago.

There's a wonderful airplane museum in Florida not too far from Cape Canaveral. It began as an airplane restoration workshop. The museum part began when people started showing up at the workshop and asking for tours.

Is that the one in Kissimmee?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kissimmee_Air_Museum
Most impressed when I visited there many years ago.

Recent trips for me have been the Glasgow Transport Museum/Riverside Museum: http://www.clydewaterfront.com/projects/greater-govan--glasgow-harbour/leisure/riverside_museum

And the Summerlee Industrial Museum http://www.visitlanarkshire.com/att...erlee-The-Museum-of-Scottish-Industrial-Life/

Back