List of edited episodes

'Including' subtitles is not a trivial task for videos that were not issued/broadcast with them, because they are not embedded in the video. Since the original broadcast of this one wasn't subtitled, that job has to be done manually. It took me the better part of about three weeks to get the timings right for this video even though I started with a subtitle file that I downloaded after locating it via a Google search. (Okay, it was the first one I'd ever done. Efficiency grows with practice. Now I can do a first draft for half-hour video in about a full work day.)

I can't attach the actual subtitle file to this message because the srt file extension isn't among the valid ones listed in the message posting options, but if you'll PM me and include your personal email address, I'll send the srt file to you as an attachment.

To embed the subtitles in the video, first you'll need to download the video using one of the browser add-ons designed to download from DailyMotion. If you want to open the srt file in its raw state in order to read it you'll need to locate and download a "Free Opener". I've never needed to do that, so it's safe to skip that step. Then you'll need software to merge the subtitle file with the video. I use Aimersoft Video Converter Ultimate, but I suspect that there are some free ones out there.

If the timings in the subtitle file don't synchronize exactly with this version of the video, or if some of the durations are too short to display, you'll need to download the free Subtitle Workshop version 6.0b or later, or similar software, in order to make those adjustments. I've done a quick & dirty resynchronization of the srt file but a glance through it showed me a great many faults that I'll eventually need to correct. With all its faults, the file is usable, and a whole lot better than not understanding the dialog. I won't get to that clean-up any time this year or next, though. Too many irons in the fire.

Marianna
(index4u)

The one i have is from PBS and has closed captioning. Programs like Vidcoder can find them in the MP2 and add them to the MP4. it creates .
I know subtitling is hard to do and i am not very good at it .I was just hoping if he could make it look this good he might know how to put in subtitles.
Joe

The one i have is from PBS and has closed captioning. Programs like Vidcoder can find them in the MP2 and add them to the MP4. it creates.
Joe

Are you saying that you have a video of the pilot recorded off the air from PBS? So your PBS station aired it? I am so envious! Until this morning, my only access to the pilot has been via YouTube. Hence the struggle to caption it. My PBS station hasn't aired the first two seasons, either, so my only access to them is either YouTube or the BBC boxed set, neither of which include subtitles. If PBS aired the pilot and the first two seasons with subtitles, there must be a broadcast version of the episodes that's had them added.

My PBS station has yet to respond to my entreaties to broadcast LOTSW. I think they're ignoring me.

Marianna

Thank you! It looks great. I would have sent this early this morning, Eastern Time, as soon as I saw the video, but I looked at it as I was hurrying out the door for an all-day appointment.

Marianna

I'm thinking of maybe doing some more of the Blamire years, as some like "Forty Foot Ferret" look horrible. Series 5 onwards look great on the DVD's, so I don't need to bother with them. And Series 3 and 4 from my memory looked decent enough color wise.

Could I add my thanks for posting this. I hadn`t watched the pilot for yonks but the quality does indeed look great and it was enjoyable to see it again.

I'm thinking of maybe doing some more of the Blamire years, as some like "Forty Foot Ferret" look horrible. Series 5 onwards look great on the DVD's, so I don't need to bother with them. And Series 3 and 4 from my memory looked decent enough color wise.

That would be great! Just how much work is this, though?

What software do you use? I have some some off-the-air recordings from long, long ago of friends being interviewed on the local access channel. I plan to digitize them and I'd like to improve the color. Because of the combination of early '80s broadcast quality and home video recording quality, they look muddy.

Marianna

Yes please do yours,the color in yours look much better than mine
Thanks Joe

Here's what to expect for 40ft Ferrett. It's not a major difference, but it's slightly noticible. I'm also gonna look at Short Back and Pate & Chips and see if It's worth doing them.

Attachments

• 40ft.jpg
    40ft.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 31
I'm in the process of doing Short Back now, I've tweaked my process and have come up with even better results. Very soon I might even be able to reduce the film dirt and specs on the outdoor scenes!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 29
Thanks so much for this. I downloaded the HD version using a grabber extension on Firefox.
One of the little things I love about this episode (and it may go unnoticed by some) is seeing three people sharing a cigarette (Clegg, the Vicar and Compo). It reminds me of sharing cans of beer in my younger days with friends. Now days, everyone is so concerned about disease/germs and such you never see that type of sharing so much anymore.

Specifically Region 1 DVDs

Is there a complete list anywhere of scenes missing from Region 1 DVDs? I caught the ones that me2 posted here, but wondered if there were more. I assume that the Region 2 DVDs all contain complete episodes, but I could be wrong. I'm guessing that the ones that GoodiesGuy reported missing were from the Region 4 sets. (This is getting way too complicated!:confused:)

Marianna

Back