Later Characters

amos hames

Dedicated Member
What are your thoughts of later characters such as Morton and Miss Davenport and also Nelly.I liked Morton thought he workred well with Barry and Toby :)Your comments please :)

i werent too keen on miss davenport, nelly was ok just a bit posh, a hyacinth mark 3 seeing we had hyacinth and edie before her, morton i thought worked really well and i think had burt not wanted to carry on if the show hadnt finished and with trevor bannisters death he cud have easily moved into the trio, he was defo more of a clegg character than entwistle, but my favourite late character has to be hobbo, i thought he was perfect 4 summer wine and if he was given time russ could have turned hobbo into a more likeable character, even now people on here say there opinion has changed on him after watching them a few times, wel i was one of the few who liked him from the start and thought this what what the show need

I always thought Miss Davenport's disappointment at how un-romantic life is created some funny moments. Noteworthy mention also goes to Eric Sykes's appearance as Doggy Wilkinson.

I have tried and tried to like Hobbo, but its just not working, his character was trying to recreate Foggy with the whole secret agent thing going on but it was way to over the top. I really felt like they were trying to bring the Foggy era back but they tried to hard and it just didn't work for me.

The way they just dumped him in the middle with no time to get used to him or form a liking for him was disappointing.

Sorry I know he has become popular with others on here but I don't see me liking him at all.

I have tried and tried to like Hobbo, but its just not working, his character was trying to recreate Foggy with the whole secret agent thing going on but it was way to over the top. I really felt like they were trying to bring the Foggy era back but they tried to hard and it just didn't work for me.

The way they just dumped him in the middle with no time to get used to him or form a liking for him was disappointing.

Sorry I know he has become popular with others on here but I don't see me liking him at all.

I do so concur. To me, in many ways the Hobbo years were the antipathy of the LOTSW concept. It became a one man band. Comment has already been made about how little Entwistle contributed. The same criticism could be applied to Alvin. Somehow, Roy Clarke and to a lesser extent Alan JW Bell, ran out of ideas for those two. And, of course, it could never be the same with Clegg and Truly reduced to minor roles.

I also liked Miss Davenport. Infact I think it could have been a match made in Heaven for her and Hobo.. They were both strange characters.

I do so concur. To me, in many ways the Hobbo years were the antipathy of the LOTSW concept. It became a one man band. Comment has already been made about how little Entwistle contributed. The same criticism could be applied to Alvin. Somehow, Roy Clarke and to a lesser extent Alan JW Bell, ran out of ideas for those two. And, of course, it could never be the same with Clegg and Truly reduced to minor roles.

The comment about him being a one man band is the feeling I have been going for! Its like they were putting all their eggs in one basket. Its a shame because I think with a little more thought Entwistle and Alvin could have made more of an impact.

To follow up on what Big Unc and Susan have been discussing.....

although I am higher on the Hobbo years than you two, I agree that a lot of the characters were hastily placed. Summer wine endured so many changes in 37 years. In my opinion, they were successful in 30 plus years of changes because the core of the cast stayed in tact and the replacements were good.

I will say I grew to like a lot of the new cast members of the last two years such as Hobbo, Miss Davenport, and increased roles for Cooper and Walsh. Toby became OK but I never liked the Captain.

Summer wine survived the passing of Bill Owen because Sallis and Thornton had such great characters with a strong nucleus. However, the drastically diminished roles of ZClegg and Truly was too much for the nucleus of the show.

Codfanglers, well said. It was OK when the new ones tip toed round the edge for a while then slide themselves into the middle slowly but to just plonk them in was a bit off putting for some.

I agree with then you said the nucleus stayed in tact and it survived the deaths of many of the main characters because the replacements were good.

I was delighted when they brought the police officers more to the front, they were hilarious, but they had been on the outer edge for some time and I think allot of people grow the like them slowly, we had time to like them first.

Maybe, because some people were so used to Compo and Clegg being thr forefront of the action for so long before ill Owen's sad passing and the Powers That Be deciding to give Peter Sallis less screentime due to his health, the addition of characters that we were not given time to get used to due to the axing of the show might be why some people feel the way they do?

Do you guys think that if the show had been allowed to continue, the later characters might have founf d their own places in our hearts?

Though on a personal note, i realy took to Alvin almost straightaway

Maybe, because some people were so used to Compo and Clegg being thr forefront of the action for so long before ill Owen's sad passing and the Powers That Be deciding to give Peter Sallis less screentime due to his health, the addition of characters that we were not given time to get used to due to the axing of the show might be why some people feel the way they do?

Do you guys think that if the show had been allowed to continue, the later characters might have founf d their own places in our hearts?

Yes I think the Hobbo character was starting to settle down and given another couple of series and he would have become more of a viewer favourite.

Yes I think the Hobbo character was starting to settle down and given another couple of series and he would have become more of a viewer favourite.

on the same note - if the series had contined, knowing Miss Davenport's romantic veiw on life, do you think she would have taken Glenda's role in the Coffee Circle? You know, not believing the worst of men while those with more experience had a more cynicle vew?

Maybe, because some people were so used to Compo and Clegg being the forefront of the action for so long before Bill Owen's sad passing and the Powers That Be deciding to give Peter Sallis less screentime due to his health, the addition of characters that we were not given time to get used to due to the axing of the show might be why some people feel the way they do?

quoted because i needed to edit the spelling but couldnt edit my own post?

on the same note - if the series had contined, knowing Miss Davenport's romantic veiw on life, do you think she would have taken Glenda's role in the Coffee Circle? You know, not believing the worst of men while those with more experience had a more cynicle vew?

Interesting point, but correct me if I am wrong, Glenda was in the show to the very end as well. I believe there was room for both of them during coffee time.

Back