Just finished viewing Compo's Passing Trilogy

codfanglers

Dedicated Member
I am roughly in the middle of watching the Summer Wine series for the fourth time and watching it consistently for the third time. There are still a lot of things I catch for the first time and my thoughts and opinions still develop.

Despite always knowing these episodes are really good, the last time these three episodes aired, I skipped them because I usually just want light-hearted, warm comedy when watching Summer Wine. However, this time around I watched carefully in order to get a full feel for the event. Here are some new observations and questions I have come up with.

1. Most significantly- I think Truly's character changed a great deal as of Elegy for Fallen Wellies. In the early Truly seasons, he was a bit of a grouch, and like Foggy and Seymour, he was a bit of a social misfit. However, with Elegy, he is a means of support for Clegg. Also he is shown to be the mastermind for the "See ya Compo" sign that brings comfort to the cast in the end. (that leads me to my 2nd point)

After Compo's departure, Truly seems to have a more cool, calm, collective, and supportive demeanor. However, that might just be Clarke and Bell's character adjustment to a new cast and storylines.

2. What is exactly the storyline behind the crate with 200 white painting overalls? When Truly received the crate, it appears that he is not sure what is in it. Then from there, it appears that he comes up with this idea to have people wear them to form the "See ya Compo" sign. There is the moment where he is by Wesley's truck when a stranger comes from behind and Truly hands him a pair of overalls. Wesley asks, Whose this?" and Truly responds "Never you mind". Then at the end he leads the cast to view the sign from the hill top.
Was there simply parts that don't connect in this story and I am looking too much into it?
Was a crate of overalls originally meant to be a prop in another episode?

3. There were hints from Elegy that Compo knew when he was going to pass. There was his notes and Truly commenting that "He knew what he was doing" when Clegg wished they had seen him one last time.
So was part of the storyline that Compo knew he was going to pass and stayed home one last time to see a last glimpse of Nora?

4. Two great quotes from these shows....
First, Surprise at Throstlesnest added the perfect mix of comedy to the show with Barry and his middle finger in the back of Wesley's truck. One of the great lines is when Clegg, Truly, and Wesley return from getting directions to find the bicyclist chasing Wesley. Clegg states, "He's found a playmate already." With a lot of Clegg's punchlines, it isn't what he says, but how he says it.

Another good punchline is in Just a Small Funeral when Reggie enters the funeral and Glenda asks who she is. Instead of the usual "Drink your Coffee" comment from Edie, she states, "Read your Hymn Book" in the same manner.

5. Lastly, there have been previous comments on this forum about how nice it would be if Foggy made an appearance at this time. I forget the reason but perhaps it was Brian Wilde's health at this time. But I will comment that is would have been great (and appropriate) for Seymour to have been at the funeral.

I am roughly in the middle of watching the Summer Wine series for the fourth time and watching it consistently for the third time. There are still a lot of things I catch for the first time and my thoughts and opinions still develop.

Despite always knowing these episodes are really good, the last time these three episodes aired, I skipped them because I usually just want light-hearted, warm comedy when watching Summer Wine. However, this time around I watched carefully in order to get a full feel for the event. Here are some new observations and questions I have come up with.

1. Most significantly- I think Truly's character changed a great deal as of Elegy for Fallen Wellies. In the early Truly seasons, he was a bit of a grouch, and like Foggy and Seymour, he was a bit of a social misfit. However, with Elegy, he is a means of support for Clegg. Also he is shown to be the mastermind for the "See ya Compo" sign that brings comfort to the cast in the end. (that leads me to my 2nd point)

After Compo's departure, Truly seems to have a more cool, calm, collective, and supportive demeanor. However, that might just be Clarke and Bell's character adjustment to a new cast and storylines.

2. What is exactly the storyline behind the crate with 200 white painting overalls? When Truly received the crate, it appears that he is not sure what is in it. Then from there, it appears that he comes up with this idea to have people wear them to form the "See ya Compo" sign. There is the moment where he is by Wesley's truck when a stranger comes from behind and Truly hands him a pair of overalls. Wesley asks, Whose this?" and Truly responds "Never you mind". Then at the end he leads the cast to view the sign from the hill top.
Was there simply parts that don't connect in this story and I am looking too much into it?
Was a crate of overalls originally meant to be a prop in another episode?

3. There were hints from Elegy that Compo knew when he was going to pass. There was his notes and Truly commenting that "He knew what he was doing" when Clegg wished they had seen him one last time.
So was part of the storyline that Compo knew he was going to pass and stayed home one last time to see a last glimpse of Nora?

4. Two great quotes from these shows....
First, Surprise at Throstlesnest added the perfect mix of comedy to the show with Barry and his middle finger in the back of Wesley's truck. One of the great lines is when Clegg, Truly, and Wesley return from getting directions to find the bicyclist chasing Wesley. Clegg states, "He's found a playmate already." With a lot of Clegg's punchlines, it isn't what he says, but how he says it.

Another good punchline is in Just a Small Funeral when Reggie enters the funeral and Glenda asks who she is. Instead of the usual "Drink your Coffee" comment from Edie, she states, "Read your Hymn Book" in the same manner.

5. Lastly, there have been previous comments on this forum about how nice it would be if Foggy made an appearance at this time. I forget the reason but perhaps it was Brian Wilde's health at this time. But I will comment that is would have been great (and appropriate) for Seymour to have been at the funeral.

Seymour could not be ai the funeral as Micheal Aldridge died in 1994 unless they had used a double.

If memry serves,Truly found the crate at the side of the road and it was delivered to him as nobody else claimed it

I think Brian Wilde was ill at the time and has Amos said poor Michael had already passed away.

I think the crate of overalls was just a means to an end and they were just written in for that purpose,if someone finds something and they hand it in to the police if its not claimed by the owner after 3 months then the person that found it can claim has theirs.

I didn't like watching those three episodes either at first they were to sad but now I can watch them and see the comedy in between the sadness, which does happen in reality has happened to my family yesterday we lost, very suddenly, a brother in law we all gathered at my sister in laws and in between the tears we there was laughter because has family and friends we remember to good times first. I think its what gets us though the bad times ahead. I have always found Roy Clark's writings to be very true to life.

I think Brian Wilde was ill at the time and has Amos said poor Michael had already passed away.

I think the crate of overalls was just a means to an end and they were just written in for that purpose,if someone finds something and they hand it in to the police if its not claimed by the owner after 3 months then the person that found it can claim has theirs.

I didn't like watching those three episodes either at first they were to sad but now I can watch them and see the comedy in between the sadness, which does happen in reality has happened to my family yesterday we lost, very suddenly, a brother in law we all gathered at my sister in laws and in between the tears we there was laughter because has family and friends we remember to good times first. I think its what gets us though the bad times ahead. I have always found Roy Clark's writings to be very true to life.
You struck a chord there Susan :)

From what I remember concerning Compo's illness, he died in a hospital. I recall Truly and Clegg telling stories of Nora visiting him. Is that correct, or is my memory a bit foggy? :-\

Nora was dressed in a show girls outfit and she and Ivy went to give a peek which was ultimately to much for his poor old heart :)

We were at the preview of 'Elegy For Fallen Wellies'. Both Alan Bell and Peter Sallis came out before the showing and asked us to please laugh if we felt like it. They thought that perhaps we might be embarrassed to do this as it was such a sad episode. Roy Clarke had a difficult job here and he passed it with flying colours.

Seymour could not be ai the funeral as Micheal Aldridge died in 1994 unless they had used a double.

Obviously I first posted this topic without researching. Michael Aldridge seemed like he was in such good health just years before when he finished with Summer Wine.

You're right, Susan. When my dad died at the end of October we were all so sad. We still are, but that week, and the time since was spent remembering him with so many brilliant stories, so much fun and great humour, there was a lot of beauty in it all. He had a great 89 years. He was loved and was always the centre of the family. He and Ma were always at the heart of everything any of us did.
I hope you get through your loss. It's a foul time. Hateful, but at least it is sometimes made more bearable by the memories of shared laughter.

You're right, Susan. When my dad died at the end of October we were all so sad. We still are, but that week, and the time since was spent remembering him with so many brilliant stories, so much fun and great humour, there was a lot of beauty in it all. He had a great 89 years. He was loved and was always the centre of the family. He and Ma were always at the heart of everything any of us did.
I hope you get through your loss. It's a foul time. Hateful, but at least it is sometimes made more bearable by the memories of shared laughter.

Memories and good family :)

I have yet to watch the trilogy of episodes a second time around. Granted, some funny moments in those episodes, but I still see them as overshadowed by Compo's passing. I guess I need some time to pass until I can watch them again. I vividly remember the nature scenes in "Just A Small Funeral" where the LOTSW theme played along with a chorus singing the lyrics. I remember seeing the flowing creek and thinking Compo will never again splash through the creek in his wellies with his childlike demeanor that we've all come to know and love. Then, when Ivy was getting ready for Compo's funeral and dug up a picture of Sid, that really hit home for me. The great finality of it all almost reduced me to tears. Life is so fragile and fleeting. I hope and pray there is some greater purpose to it all that makes all the sadness worth enduring.

I have yet to watch the trilogy of episodes a second time around. Granted, some funny moments in those episodes, but I still see them as overshadowed by Compo's passing. I guess I need some time to pass until I can watch them again. I vividly remember the nature scenes in "Just A Small Funeral" where the LOTSW theme played along with a chorus singing the lyrics. I remember seeing the flowing creek and thinking Compo will never again splash through the creek in his wellies with his childlike demeanor that we've all come to know and love. Then, when Ivy was getting ready for Compo's funeral and dug up a picture of Sid, that really hit home for me. The great finality of it all almost reduced me to tears. Life is so fragile and fleeting. I hope and pray there is some greater purpose to it all that makes all the sadness worth enduring.

My advice to you may be to start with Surprise at Throstlesness, I recall it being the lightest of the three regarding the sadness. It has just the right amount of comedy.

What aways gets my attention when viewing these episodes is in the opening credits where only Peter Sallis and Frank Thornton's names appear.

I love these three episodes, they were beautifully written and very well acted.
Clegg seems genuinely upset, when they say goodbye compo with the painters in overalls, and in the house after being up all night. I can watch these over and over again.

Clarke sneaks bits into shows when you least expect it.
In one episode, no idea which one, they are all sitting in the cafe. Compo talks about Marilyn Monroe dying alone thinking no one cared, I think he was referring to Nora being on her own. In amongst the silliness, magic happens

I love these three episodes, they were beautifully written and very well acted.
Clegg seems genuinely upset, when they say goodbye compo with the painters in overalls, and in the house after being up all night. I can watch these over and over again.

Clarke sneaks bits into shows when you least expect it.
In one episode, no idea which one, they are all sitting in the cafe. Compo talks about Marilyn Monroe dying alone thinking no one cared, I think he was referring to Nora being on her own. In amongst the silliness, magic happens

[/quote
The episode where Compo mentioned Marilyn's death was The Woolenmills Of Your Mind

I also like Clegg's reply when he says "I expect there were quite a few things happened to Marilyn Monroe that aren't going to happen to Nora".
I think it was also in the same episode, when the three of them are walking up a street, that Clegg says about his wife "And then she died, which i always thought was a criticism", always gets me does that one, quite sad.

G ; )

Back