It Seem's Very Quiet On Here Lately!

Been waiting to get rid of my daughter and the cat ,they've both gone but still got half of her stuff . (sigh) :eek: :eek:

I've been trying to get my computer to work. When mywireless was set up, I somehow knocked out my internet. My cords are crossed or something .... :eek:

Oh dear all busy then. I've been doing as close to nothing has I can get. ;D
Good luck Dick, I still have stuff from all of mine.
Have fun Amos, are you watching the same cartoon over and over again?
Oh dear Beth hope you get it sorted soon.

Too much housework!

I also have a number of interests and I have been spending time on these of late.

I am also trying to get my mind around posting pictures on here and other sites - photobucket or something similar. One of those I tried told me the best approach was via Facebook - which I do not have - so struggled.

Also my PC is playing up, freezing and suddenly he screen resolution goes to a very large pixilated style with only part of the screen visible. So a lot of thought into all this

Given that I have two machines both running XP and quite slow I am wondering about a new tower for ~ £250 as I have a screen and a keyboard (as no longer need two machines as my wife can no longer use a PC at all nor mobile). However there is an Apple iMAC which has a fault in the house (was my sons but he does not use it or need it now) and given their value I was wondering whether this could be the replacement machine as I have all the office software I need.

Perhaps any one out there has suggestions? I guess I shall need to spend some cash. And convert to Windows 7 or 8 - but I do not want touch screen as I find any marks on the screen hard work as they are in sharper focus than what I want to read!

This PC has one account which I use regularly and has my main e mail account set up on it, there are other accounts which I use for specific functions and associated e mails accounts and these all work well, but my main one is the one where the problem lies. The task manager does not function correctly, only one of the five pages shows and often the hard drive gets a high pitch and we run at 100% CPU usage and that's it. Stuck. I can set up another account and it all works well for about six months then collapses again - I have done this four times but each time I end up losing e mails and have to reset everything. The PC was dated when I got it, it is not a tower but a flat box on which the screen sits!

I need a magic PC doctor - and this one has had several visits over time, been in for repair several times but has never been what I would call really useful!

So that is why it is quiet here in now sunny Yorkshire! ;D ;D ;D

Hope your well in your self Barmpot. Good look with the PC, I have know idea how they work but will give a bit of experience I've had, if you get the chose I'd go for Windows 7 has Windows 8 is driving me stupid. >:( :D :D

I was just thinking the same thing Susan, I have been getting back into my comping hobby. I still have a look on here every day though, and it has been very quiet.

Hope your well in your self Barmpot. Good look with the PC, I have know idea how they work but will give a bit of experience I've had, if you get the chose I'd go for Windows 7 has Windows 8 is driving me stupid. >:( :D :D

Talking to a PC expert recently - he suggested Microsoft Windows alternates between good (odd numbered) and Bad (even numbered) versions: XP good, Vista poor, 7 good, 8 poor.

Support for XP will not last much longer. Problem is I am told that every new PC is coming out with Windows 8 installed.

Talking to a PC expert recently - he suggested Microsoft Windows alternates between good (odd numbered) and Bad (even numbered) versions: XP good, Vista poor, 7 good, 8 poor.

Support for XP will not last much longer. Problem is I am told that every new PC is coming out with Windows 8 installed.

When we bought our laptop recently, the gentleman at office depot told us that we would not like 8, however ours was beyond repair and we had to buy one. He also told us that Windows was coming out with an 8.1 downloadable version that would have a way to get rid of the tile format and stick with the classic desktop permanently. He said for us to download it when it came out and then we should be back to the classic look. We haven't done that yet, simply because we just click on the desktop tile and it is close to "normal" Windows.
I'm not very computer savvy, so I'm nervous about downloading 8.1 and then not being able to figure out how to set it up on desktop permanently.
Someday, I'll try it.
Oh, and by the way, I've just been super busy at work lately which bleeds over into my personal time. That is my reason for being so absent.

I run a number of older machines here at home. Probably about 10-ish
by now. Most are used DELL desktops purchased from shopgoodwill.com
auction site, all loaded with DELL's Windows XP Pro SP3 for free. All are
loaded with all sorts of software.

I really like the free DELL XP install disk, and have made copies just in case.
But about once a year I format the C drive (all my data is on D and above).
And reload whatever apps I am using at the time (fewer every year). Is good
to do a yearly clear-out I think.

chuck

Yes I have heard that - if I stick with the PC approach then I might try a second hand machine with Windows 7.

This starts my busy season....retail at Christmas is never fun. I am trying to make it better this year and be positive though, and enjoy the fun of Christmas. We found out we are opening on Thanksgiving day this year and that means one less day off now. A shame because it is a big Family holiday here, and now many people will not get to travel to see their family.

Back