If......

George

Super Moderator
If there is ever a U.S. version of the show I think John Goodman would make a good Sid

Not sure of her name but she's small and darkhaired (appeared in CHEERS) for Pearl. Typically waspish :eek:

I dont mean this nastily george and im not trying to offend you but if a american re-make of the show was made i feel it would be a disaster, the americans copying our comedy doesnt work i dont think, also can you imagine roy clarke letting someone else write last of the summer wine, a non-starter in my books im afraid

I dont mean this nastily george and im not trying to offend you but if a american re-make of the show was made i feel it would be a disaster, the americans copying our comedy doesnt work i dont think, also can you imagine roy clarke letting someone else write last of the summer wine, a non-starter in my books im afraid

Very much agree there. It is difficult, if not impossible, to think of any UK show which has been successfully translated across the pond.

Very much agree there. It is difficult, if not impossible, to think of any UK show which has been successfully translated across the pond.

Dear John was quite good, but on the whole I agree with you.

Appreciate your sentiments UNC but if such a programme ever bore fruit do you think Shelley Long would make a good Marina?? ;)

I totally agree,and I probably wouldn't watch it but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen.
Anyway I was bored :)

I totally agree,and I probably wouldn't watch it but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen.
Anyway I was bored :)

thats ok george, its just one of those questions you wanted to know what other winos thought of it, nothing wrong with that, i didnt want you to think i was being a pain and thats why i started it like i did

I agree with everything everyone has said, but don't get to used to that its been a bad week and I must be vulnerably to suggestions. ;)

Love the idea George, but I must agree that we would just mess it up :) . Some of my coworkers and I talk about doing a Youtube version of Top Gear because we feel like we could do it than Hollywood.
They are trying Top Gear here, but I'm really surprised it is still on. I really think there is a huge disconnect between Hollywood and the American people. I wish when they remake shows here in the US, they would bring in die hard fans and let them have input.
There was a show on SPEED called "The Car Show". It is cancelled now, but I didn't mind it. I thought it was pretty good. Cancelled. O'well.
Thats my 2 cents, ???

Well, there is The Office. I believe the American version of the Office was quite good up unto the point where Jim and Pam got married. Then it took on the American characteristic of sitcoms and kept going and going way after its prime. Then again, Ricky Gervais is the producer. Having a Brit Producer might help make the Office an exception.

John Goodman would make a great Sid.

Jerry Stiller would make a good Compo (I have to add "in my Opinion" )

I disagree with the others, George, I think it is a good topic.

Well, there is The Office. I believe the American version of the Office was quite good up unto the point where Jim and Pam got married. Then it took on the American characteristic of sitcoms and kept going and going way after its prime. Then again, Ricky Gervais is the producer. Having a Brit Producer might help make the Office an exception.

John Goodman would make a great Sid.

Jerry Stiller would make a good Compo (I have to add "in my Opinion" )

I disagree with the others, George, I think it is a good topic.

When I made my comment I was referring to UK Comedy that is worth copying. To my mind "The Office" is the typical, modern, snide, destructive drivel that the totally uncreative modern BBC is trying to pass off as comedy.

I never watched "Dear John", either UK or US. Looking at a synopsis I can see that it is of the genre which possibly both UK and US can manage. US using Judd Hirsch would have been a good move.

I could have equally made the comment about the reverse direction. I just cannot envisage a good UK version of "Cheers". About the nearest to it might be the sketches on the "Two Ronnies" Shows. And I would wine at a UK attempt at "The Cosby Show".

Back