If You Take a Good Bite, Yorkshire Tastes Terrible"

codfanglers

Dedicated Member
If You Take a Good Bite, Yorkshire Tastes Terrible"

A lot of you were recommending “If you take a Good Bite, Yorkshire tastes Terrible” due to the American references. I got to see it last night. Although the American references don’t seem significant. Clegg was reading the letter about his friend’s (John Henry I think) wife marrying a Mr. Beckenschneider, who loves his Smith and Wesson, a type of hand gun. I didn’t really read that as a shot at Americans being into guns, just a play on an eccentric character, Mr. Beckenscheider.

Once again, we had previous discussions in this forum about Clarke’s interesting character names, and when he picks the name of an American, it is something wild like Beckenschneider! That part was funny. Speaking of names, I believe this is the first time he used” Hinchcliffe”, as I recall Gavin Hinchcliffe during the Truly years.

They were talking about Germans, since Beckenscheider is a German name. I am not sure if the person was meant to actually be German, or an American of German descent. But was funny line was… (pardon me if I paraphrase)

Nora: “I could never marry a German”
Wally: “You never gave it a try”

Later at Edie’s house there was the conversation led by Clegg about coffe and tea. It was an amusing observation, but not really a significant commentary about Americans. However, maybe I am slow and missing out on something in the episode.

I saw this episode before, about a year ago. I just didn’t remember the title or the details. It is a good episode, but not my favorite. It is what I call “one of Summer Wine’s “Aimlessly wandering around” episodes. This is where the guys wonder back and forth, not accomplishing much (like Short Back and Palais Glide, Dried Dates and Codfanglers). As I watch Summer Wine more closely nowadays I notice Roy Clarke balances the show with different types of episodes. For example, there is the aimlessly wandering episodes, then there is failed schemes and failed invention episodes (Odd Dog Men, Loxely Lozenge, etc.) traveling episodes (Pate and Chips, Cheering Up Gordon, etc.) and event-driven episodes (Going to Gordon’s Wedding, 2nd Stagg Night of Doggy Wilkinson, etc.)
Sorry for rambling but I realize now that delicate balance is a good thing. I noticed the following episode is titled, The Experiment, so that tells me something already.

Speaking of “The Experiment”, I recorded it earlier today as I was cooking. I only saw a peak of it so far. I love watching the evolution of Summer Wine from beginning to end and “The Experiment” introduces a part of the show’s latter years that is dear to my heart; ladies’ tea/coffee time. I was so delighted to see that!

PS

Another recent topic going on now is "Easrnshaw Strikes Again". I haven't seen that one for a while since I missed it in its last rotation, but I recall that is definitely an "Aimlessly Wandering" episode!

Re: If You Take a Good Bite, Yorkshire Tastes Terrible"

Your comment aimlessly wandering, hit a note with me. I don't know if you have ever read any of the 'Just William' books. They are about an eleven year old boy who 'wanders aimlessly' round the English countryside causing mayhem and havoc with his gang of friends who call themselves outlaws. I am sure Roy Clarke must have read them. They are not bad lads, just a bit irresponsible, just like Compo and Co. I can still read William now, children's books are sometimes wasted on children!

I think Bill Owen saw the likeness, he mentioned them more than once in interviews.

Your comment aimlessly wandering, hit a note with me. I don't know if you have ever read any of the 'Just William' books. They are about an eleven year old boy who 'wanders aimlessly' round the English countryside causing mayhem and havoc with his gang of friends who call themselves outlaws. I am sure Roy Clarke must have read them. They are not bad lads, just a bit irresponsible, just like Compo and Co. I can still read William now, children's books are sometimes wasted on children!

I think Bill Owen saw the likeness, he mentioned them more than once in interviews.

I am attracted to the whole storyline behind Summer Wine. To me it is a show about a but of elderly guys running around as kids, just like you mentioned. It is not necessarily realistic, but it could be. Since I started watching, Summer Wine has become my model of an ideal retirement. The Just Williams books could be could but the idea of old guys doing these these is so much more comical.

I see your point about the differant types of episodes, I hadn't really thought about that before, but now I have I believe your right.

I think everyday life is like that though, there are days we work, days we have off and work in the house or garden, shopping, visiting family and friends then there are the days we get up and we have nothing planned and wonder about doing nothing all day. ( I try to keep those days to myself, if my daughters find me doing nothing I usually end up looking after the grandkids, I don't mind I do it everyday while their at work but I like a day off now and then :) )

So I think its pretty true to life, well it is to my life anyway. ;D.

I think Bill-Henrys wife married an American of German dissent, I think because America is such a huge place and was started off with many nationalities that the surnames are quite often that of German-Italian-Mexian-Asian dissidents more so than here in the UK and I think we pick up on it more here.

It is a very good episode I like it alot, mainly because Wally has soon very good lines in it, and I totally agree with you about the ladies, and quite accurate I remember my own mam going to tea with friends and the conversation was very similar ;D

Everybody needs to do some "Wandering". It is healthy for you. You need time to be with yourself. But to have someone with you that agrees with the sort of wandering you do like the men of LOTSW do you are lucky. I didn't realize until now that I also do wandering which I enjoy. But didn't realize it was wandering as it is not on the Hills. Every morning I go walking along the promenade by the sea next to me in my city. It is a mile long. That is also wandering. I do it alone though sometimes meet a friend along he way.

When my kids were little I used put all 3 in a huge pram I had and walk the 7 miles to my parents house, I would walk along the canal and round the back of the park the kids would fall asleep and I'd be off in a world of my own for and hour there and back I used to really enjoy it. :)

My dad took me and my brothers long walks around the village where we used to live into the fields and woods nearby. On the way he pointed out what hedge fruits were safe and those that were not ,he also taught us how to recognise different birds and animals.I did much the same with my 4 kids and they in turn have passed it on to theirs.I'd love to be able to still do it but health issues and "developement" have killed the issue. Our wanderings are now done after a car drive(weather permitting!) but at no time can they be classed as aimless , there is always something to see or learn. :D

My dad took me and my brothers long walks around the village where we used to live into the fields and woods nearby. On the way he pointed out what hedge fruits were safe and those that were not ,he also taught us how to recognise different birds and animals.I did much the same with my 4 kids and they in turn have passed it on to theirs.I'd love to be able to still do it but health issues and "developement" have killed the issue. Our wanderings are now done after a car drive(weather permitting!) but at no time can they be classed as aimless , there is always something to see or learn. :D

We used to get dragged down for walks to the canal we walked for hours every Sunday afternoon, we hated it but I look back and wish I had paid more attention I loved to do it again now :)

I think Bill-Henrys wife married an American of German dissent, I think because America is such a huge place and was started off with many nationalities that the surnames are quite often that of German-Italian-Mexian-Asian dissidents more so than here in the UK and I think we pick up on it more here.

I guess the one amusing thing I came away with this episode is that Roy Clarke had a moment to come up with one of his eccentric names, only this time for an American. Well done with Beckenschneider!!!!

I see your point about the differant types of episodes, I hadn't really thought about that before, but now I have I believe your right.

I think everyday life is like that though, there are days we work, days we have off and work in the house or garden, shopping, visiting family and friends then there are the days we get up and we have nothing planned and wonder about doing nothing all day. ( I try to keep those days to myself, if my daughters find me doing nothing I usually end up looking after the grandkids, I don't mind I do it everyday while their at work but I like a day off now and then :) )

So I think its pretty true to life, well it is to my life anyway. ;D.

It is a very good episode I like it alot, mainly because Wally has soon very good lines in it, and I totally agree with you about the ladies, and quite accurate I remember my own mam going to tea with friends and the conversation was very similar ;D

OK, I can ususally tolerate poor spelling BUT I have a quibble with the word, "dissidents." A dissident is a person who actively challenges an established doctrine, policy, or institution. I think that the word you were searching for is descendant. I don't think that there were any dissidents in this episode.

Back