I Just hope it floats

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
We have the river Trent on our doorstep which is very high at the moment, also the Fossdyke canal which is even closer and today reached its highest level for many years, on top of this the local water company pumps failed, now using emergency pumps which are struggling, so I am hoping our wooden home will float, I will wave as I go past

Living near Shrewsbury, floods are an annual event. I've heard today here the floods are going to start to recede, so I do hope you stay dry Terry. Fingers crossed as joking aside it must be an anxious time.

Terry hope it doesn't reach you, round here near me homes have flooded, streets that I've never seen flood before are now very flooded. My son in law had to travel miles out of the way to get home the other night. I saw one man, not far from me with large luxury house knee deep in water and had to start a go fund me page because he didn't have insurance! Apparently 26% of the population don't have house insurance, I know it can be expensive but the peace of mind it gives you is priceless. I know it can't replace memories and treasured possessions but at least you'd have basic shelter.
I hope everyone is staying safe.

Thanks everyone, the canal level has dropped a little this morning, the problem with the Trent is we are not far from where it empties into the sea, so there is still a lot of water to come down the trent from the midlands and beyond, which can take a few days of dry weather across that area before our levels start to drop.
Re insurance there are only 2 companies that offer flood cover for our homes, we have it though it adds about £250 a year to the policy

Sorry Terry but sending a ton of water your way, I'd lend you my boat but you never know when John is going need a clout!

An American asked me why we didn't all have boats living on an island!

Jim Bowen only scratched the surface with the number of speedboats he gave away as the top prize on Bullseye . We all laughed when the person who won it said they were from Worcestershire miles from the Sea whose laughing now :)

Picture below was taken today by drone, it is Dunham Toll Bridge on the A57 not far from me, it crosses the river Trent and has several thousands of vehicles a day normall cross, a link between the A1 and Lincoln, it is in between two other crossings 30 miles apart, so it is a vital link even though for a car it's 50p each way to cross
DB.png

We can find you a corner if needed but you'll to bring your own milk we don't drink it.

This morning the river Trent exceeded the highest recorded level since the recording station at Torksey was installed in 2000, our canal level is still dropping nicely

Picture below was taken today by drone, it is Dunham Toll Bridge on the A57 not far from me, it crosses the river Trent and has several thousands of vehicles a day normall cross, a link between the A1 and Lincoln, it is in between two other crossings 30 miles apart, so it is a vital link even though for a car it's 50p each way to cross
View attachment 6866
Hope they're discounting the 50p crossing fee presently!

I see our local pub made it on the news, this is about 1/4 mile from us, I like the way Neil said there is some really old old people living nearby

I liked it when Neil said about the holiday cottage being wiped out. It instantly made me think to myself 'Well Foggy won't be holidaying there anymore'. I do feel sorry for all the people affected by the flooding but the comment just made me think of the All Mod Conned episode.

Back