Howerd and pearl

Think that Marina looked more tarty in her earlier appearences as for Howard he was really downtrodden Pearls remarks to him were realy nasty.

I was wondering as its Christmas, was there ever a moment of affection between Pearl and Howard ??

I was wondering as its Christmas, was there ever a moment of affection between Pearl and Howard ??

in her own way I suppose "A Leg Up for Christmas" she showed some affection, also in the last episode as well, but with Howards track record with Marina I can understand why Pearl wouldn't trust him

Think that Marina looked more tarty in her earlier appearences as for Howard he was really downtrodden Pearls remarks to him were realy nasty.

She isn't wearing a wig in the first few appearances and also is much more "modern" in her dress and hairstyle.

Since Marina (and Howard and Pearl) were creations of Bill Owen, I've always wondered how much of what we see in the show resembles what was staged by Bill Owen versus what Roy Clarke and Alan Bell gave us.

She isn't wearing a wig in the first few appearances and also is much more "modern" in her dress and hairstyle.

Since Marina (and Howard and Pearl) were creations of Bill Owen, I've always wondered how much of what we see in the show resembles what was staged by Bill Owen versus what Roy Clarke and Alan Bell gave us.

I didn't know Bill Owen 'created' those characters.

How exactly did that happen?

Also, I know Roy Clarke wasn't always satisfied in Marina's outfits, though I'm not exactly sure in which period of the show this would have been.

Me too ! I didn't know that they were Bill Owens creation, I'd like to know the story behind it as well please. :)

For some reason I thought I'd read Bill Owen had written the play, but in looking back at my sources I see that Clarke created the original stage treatment it was based on after all. :-[

At any rate, it ran for a few summer seasons in the mid-80s with Bill Owen, Peter Sallis, and Jane Freeman participating (though I think Owen was the only one who appeared in all stagings) and that is where Pearl, Howard, Marina, and Crusher came from. The actors playing it the final season were the ones they took to the TV series after Clarke and Bell came to see the play and were impressed by their performances.

I believe we are referring to the live stage adoption of LOSW known as the "summer season" produced in Bournemouth in 1984. Bill and Peter played the role of Clegg and Compo and Brain chose not because of personalities clash with Bill. The play focused on the new neighbor to Clegg, Howard and Pearl. It also had Marina playing the tart. Marina, played by Jean Fergusson, was a local actress. Incidentally, when I looked up her birthdate(1944) that makes her younger then the on going age of the main trio and others. Pearl (Juliette Kaplan) was born 1939. And Howard (Robert Fyfe) bb 1925. Most of the others have birth dates in the 20 s, except Bill (1914) From that stage production was born the Howard/Pearl/Marina trio. Incidentally, Marina appeared in 274 times in LOSW, making her one of most appearing in the whole Series!

Back