How things change over the years

Never understood that the toffees are a nice sweet, perhaps people live in fear they would pull their fillings out, especially these days where you cannot find a dentist for love nor money.

Out of curiosity, does it list the weight of the contents on both your containers? I'm thinking maybe half and probably twice the price as well. :frown2:

The old tin was about 4lb in weight ( 2Kilo) the new ones are around 1.3lb or 600 gram, a new 2kilo tin is around £27, 600 grams currently selling for £7.80, over the holisdays the supermarkets had better deals and they could be far less expensive.

The old tin was about 4lb in weight ( 2Kilo) the new ones are around 1.3lb or 600 gram, a new 2kilo tin is around £27, 600 grams currently selling for £7.80, over the holisdays the supermarkets had better deals and they could be far less expensive.
Does that mean Mrs Maltrab had to have those as her joint Christmas & Birthday present then?

A picture of old size and current size, also notice how the current plastic container lid is recessed inside the top, so it is really smaller than you think
View attachment 6865
We used to have those big tins every Christmas, in the early 1980s.

They really were filled to top with chocolates, none of this half-filled nonsense we see everywhere now.

I seem to recall those tins were incredibly expensive back in the early 1980s - something like £5 then - which is about £30 now!

But they made Christmas then. And there many different, nicer flavours back then.

I'm not particularly bothered about them now. They're not the same.

And the tins were always put to good use, when you did finally finish them.

Oh really l thought they tasted different
You comment reminds me of an incident in my early working life. I used to work for RBS bank and myself and a colleague were on the counter and someone came in wanting to pay into a Barclays account. My colleague politely told the customer that we were RBS and he had to go to a Barclays branch, to which he snapped "no it's not RBS this is Barclays!" to which my colleague with brilliant comic timing replied to him "That might explain why I didn't recognise any of the staff this morning" :p

Our local charity shop had three old sweet tins from the late’70/80’s for sale recently and I wish I had bought them. They were huge.

Back