Holmfirth Yoghurts

chris

Dedicated Member
Today I picked up a Longley,s yoghurt and its very nice I can recommend them to all and your helping a firm in Holmfith our favourite town .

Yoghurt

to quote from my 1946 dictionary addenda (knew I should not discard any book!)

yaourt yog(h)urt
n. Sour fermented liquor made in the Levant from milk. [Turk. yoghurt]

This is the Pocket Oxford 4th edition, which means that yoghurt was relatively a new concept then and was seen as a middle eastern substance. Definitely not Mongolia.

A Turkish word ...

My mother would never have used it, foreign muck is probably the phrase most likely.

Yoghurt

to quote from my 1946 dictionary addenda (knew I should not discard any book!)

yaourt yog(h)urt
n. Sour fermented liquor made in the Levant from milk. [Turk. yoghurt]

This is the Pocket Oxford 4th edition, which means that yoghurt was relatively a new concept then and was seen as a middle eastern substance. Definitely not Mongolia.

A Turkish word ...

My mother would never have used it, foreign muck is probably the phrase most likely.

Levant refers to Turkey among other places. It's possible that yogurt was first made by putting milk in a some sort of animal skin and then letting it agitate as you rode your horse. But of course, nowadays it is made in a more sanitary setting these days. Yogurt can be loaded up with all kinds of additives and preservatives or you can get the type of yogurt that is the way yogurt used to be. Or you can make homemade yogurt.

Levant refers to Turkey among other places. It's possible that yogurt was first made by putting milk in a some sort of animal skin and then letting it agitate as you rode your horse. But of course, nowadays it is made in a more sanitary setting these days. Yogurt can be loaded up with all kinds of additives and preservatives or you can get the type of yogurt that is the way yogurt used to be. Or you can make homemade yogurt.

Or you can ignore!!!:-[:-[:-[:-[;);););)

Back