Holmfirth was just the perfect location

Amos Hames 2

Dedicated Member
Couldn't imagine the series being filmed anywhere else. I seem to think Doncaster was mooted but the hills round Holmfirth were the main thing in the programme really apart from the laughs. I always thought if it had been made down south it would be on the Kentish downs or the Surrey hills

Couldn't imagine the series being filmed anywhere else. I seem to think Doncaster was mooted but the hills round Holmfirth were the main thing in the programme really apart from the laughs. I always thought if it had been made down south it would be on the Kentish downs or the Surrey hills
But, it was in Yorkshire. IMO More things in Yorkshire are a success, Emmerdale, Where the Heart Is, Heartbeat etc. If it had been filmed in Kent, Surrey, Hampshire or Cornwall It wouldn't have been so well liked, or continued for so many years.

I agree Amos, beautiful countryside and I like the feel of Holmfirth. Whoever picked it, did a bang up job..

It was Rotherham, not Doncaster. That was ruled out for being too industrial IIRC.