Hollywood 'Greats'

George

Super Moderator
I notice yesterday would have been John Wayne's birthday.It made me wonder if we'll remember today's 'film stars' as much as the Golden Oldies.

In these days of following every detail in the lives of so-called celebrities I miss the days when film stars etc had a mystique about them and were an unknown quantity when not on screen.

I'm with you all the way there George ,todays "stars " may as well be on webcam for how much is in the news etc about them >:(

I notice yesterday would have been John Wayne's birthday.It made me wonder if we'll remember today's 'film stars' as much as the Golden Oldies.

In these days of following every detail in the lives of so-called celebrities I miss the days when film stars etc had a mystique about them and were an unknown quantity when not on screen.

Todays so called greats ar not in the same level as the likes of John Wayne or Gregory Peck or others from the golden age they are all too pampered these days i pefer older films to newer films,not in all cases i like the Lord of the rings trilogy and pirates of the Carribien and the original Star Wars trilogy but two of my faves are how green was my valley and west side story.Stars today do rely on the media to boost their films somthing stars from the past didn't have in such a high scale such as the internet and i pads.

I think that the Golden Oldies were in all of the papers at the time. They craved the attention as much as the stars of today. Its just the 24 hour news, internet and other media outlets that show the new stars off. If those technologies were around at the time, they would have given the exposure to the golden generation of Hollywood.
I remember my grandparents telling me all the stories about those actors etc, so they must have been in the papers.
I believe the media etc, gives people the wrong impression on the 'stars' of today because you've got the likes of TMZ following them around every corner, camping outside of their houses and talking to neighbours etc just to get a story. I know some of them love the attention but so did the older stars otherwise they wouldn't have done that job.

So in summary i do think the new stars will be remembered in the future, mainly because of the media and maybe not because of talent.

Todays so called greats ar not in the same level as the likes of John Wayne or Gregory Peck or others from the golden age they are all too pampered these days i pefer older films to newer films,not in all cases i like the Lord of the rings trilogy and pirates of the Carribien and the original Star Wars trilogy but two of my faves are how green was my valley and west side story.Stars today do rely on the media to boost their films somthing stars from the past didn't have in such a high scale such as the internet and i pads.

absolutely spot on with these comments Amos.

I was flicking though the TV the other, looking for Thomas the Tank Engine, when I came across an old black and white with Jack Palance in! I thought Yee gods Jack Palance my mam loved him and his films, we know nothing about him at all now we know what they eat, what they drink what face cream they use and who they have slept with. I would like to see a return to the days when we didn't know who they slept with or cheated on/with but I don't see that happening.

Back