Hi from Yorkshire.

Pete.

Dedicated Member
Hi,
I'v been reading this forum for quite some time,but never posted on it,like everyone here I love LOTSW,I watch at least a couple of episodes a day,my favourite period being the mid nineties with Foggy back for the second time,but I love them all,its such gentle comedy that you can watch assured that there will be no bad language or vulgarity,I'm 54 years old and the show had been part of my life,and still is,I was 13 when the show first started,and 50 when it sadly finished.
I'm fortunate enough to live only 30 minutes from Holmfirth,and am able to go quite often,when I went last week a couple from the USA were parking their car at the same time,and asked where all the locations were,they are too spread out to show them all of them,but we had a chat and I took them to the café and showed them where they could find the other locations,told them about the museum and the wonderful video they show that you cannot buy (If you heard how Robert Fyfe,my favourite character speaks in real life,you would appreciate what a fantastic actor he is) and they later went on the tour bus,
Tomorrow I'm going up to Marsden,past the house that was Aunties shop,to walk to the lovely little packhorse bridge,I love to watch the series for all the locations and scenery I often walk around,
I went to Scarborough recently,and saw Ken Kitson in his shop,Alladins cave,and it made me long for a new series,or Cooper and Walsh,to be made,I wonder how many of the cast would be able to return if they commissioned a new series,I'd have Hobbo back,and Glenda and Barry,but many may not be able to,due to their age etc,
When I figure it out I will add an avatar and post some of my photos,in the meantime,thankyou for all your warm,friendly and interesting posts from around the world.
Pete.

Welcome Pete. Thank you for posting, I hope you post a lot more, its always great to hear a new voice and have a different view on the show. :D

Thankyou Pearl,John,Brenda
smilie.png

Thanks Beth,I couldn't believe they'd travelled all the way from the USA to come and see Holmfirth,they didn't know where any of the locations were so I walked with them to the tourist information where they bought a map,and walked with them to Ivy's café,I helped them as much as I could but the locations are spread around the local villages,I showed them Nora's and Compo's houses,and where Bill Owen is buried,bumped into them a couple of times during the day and said hi. x

Hi Pete,nice to see you chatting here,as you can see we are a friendly bunch and happy to chat about most things,we will be putting you on point duty in Holmfirth as you did such a good job

Welcome Pete !! USA Florida here, I love your line about " a gentle comedy" I think that puts it right on. You're in good hands here, very nice folks! Your so lucky to be only 30 mines from Holmfirth!!!!!!! I'm jealous :)

Hello there Pete, you must be one of the closest to Holmfirth on this site. I am about 40 minutes away in the opposite direction but still in the South Pennines - just.

Look forward to your contributions.

Hi WesleyRocks,Florida Wow !! Its the gentleness and the feeling that you're among friends that make it so lovely,when I'v had a tough day at work Summerwine chills me out like no other programme,I am lucky living so near,this morning I got up and on the spur of the moment decided to go to Jackson Bridge to look at Howards house,I set off at 9.30 and was parked up and at his house at 10.10,I'll put the photos up in a minute,tomorrow Im going to see a play at an Abbey built in 1069,I'll put a photo of that up too,thanks for the post,
Hi barmpot,thanks for the post,we take for granted living so near don't we,we're right on the doorstep of the Peak District and the South Pennines,according to my satnav,from my drive to Holmfirth is 24 miles,but the road network is terrific,I am straight onto the Dearne Valley Parkway at Wath,continues over Stocksbridge bypass,and that leads you to Jackson Bridge,dual carriageway 60mph all the way,I can make the journey if traffics light,without stopping the car.

Welcome, we're 35 miles from Holmfirth but coming from Cheshire we have to endure the stop start traffic through Mottram up to the lights by Lowrys statue, it's only a short stretch of road but the traffic is a nightmare unless we get there very early [we usually do]. Sometimes we stay at the Holme Valley campsite up the rd in Thongsbridge [used in some filming] and catch a band at the Picturedrome-great venue.

New to summer wine and forum

:17:
Hi,
I'v been reading this forum for quite some time,but never posted on it,like everyone here I love LOTSW,I watch at least a couple of episodes a day,my favourite period being the mid nineties with Foggy back for the second time,but I love them all,its such gentle comedy that you can watch assured that there will be no bad language or vulgarity,I'm 54 years old and the show had been part of my life,and still is,I was 13 when the show first started,and 50 when it sadly finished.
I'm fortunate enough to live only 30 minutes from Holmfirth,and am able to go quite often,when I went last week a couple from the USA were parking their car at the same time,and asked where all the locations were,they are too spread out to show them all of them,but we had a chat and I took them to the café and showed them where they could find the other locations,told them about the museum and the wonderful video they show that you cannot buy (If you heard how Robert Fyfe,my favourite character speaks in real life,you would appreciate what a fantastic actor he is) and they later went on the tour bus,
Tomorrow I'm going up to Marsden,past the house that was Aunties shop,to walk to the lovely little packhorse bridge,I love to watch the series for all the locations and scenery I often walk around,
I went to Scarborough recently,and saw Ken Kitson in his shop,Alladins cave,and it made me long for a new series,or Cooper and Walsh,to be made,I wonder how many of the cast would be able to return if they commissioned a new series,I'd have Hobbo back,and Glenda and Barry,but many may not be able to,due to their age etc,
When I figure it out I will add an avatar and post some of my photos,in the meantime,thankyou for all your warm,friendly and interesting posts from around the world.
Pete.

Marvelous, Pete. How kind of you to explain things to them. And I know what you mean about Fyfe. Is he from Scotland? I watched an interview he did some time back. Wonderful job he does.

Back