Help

Amos Hames 2

Dedicated Member
My Mum has a mouse in her house and is hysterical scared. Does anybody know a effective way of getting rid of them. She's so scared she doesn't want to live there anymore. Please help if you can

We get mice in our house all the time living out in the country, as Roger says mousetraps which we use. But by the sounds of things she maybe too squeamish to dispose of them when caught. The council will come round, or if she has a home emergency cover on her plan that usually covers a call out.

Remember a mouse can get through an opening as small as the diameter of a pencil so unless she can stop them entering in the first place it's going to be challenging. A long term solution maybe to get a cat, we have 2 and they now only go in the loft as it's the only place they can't smell cats.

Like everyone has said get a couple of traps. The ones above that Barrychuckle have allow you to dispose of the rodent without having to touch it. They’re very good.
There must be something in the air as we had one under our bedroom floor a few weeks ago. Only one and lord knows how it got there. I had to cut the floorboards to get the trap set up, it was a right faff!
Biscoff and peanut butter was my bait of choice and it worked after about 8 hours. Our old Jack Russells were good ratters but our latest addition wasn’t remotely interested although she loves to sniff them out when we’re in the fields etc.

Like everyone has said get a couple of traps. The ones above that Barrychuckle have allow you to dispose of the rodent without having to touch it. They’re very good.
There must be something in the air as we had one under our bedroom floor a few weeks ago. Only one and lord knows how it got there. I had to cut the floorboards to get the trap set up, it was a right faff!
Biscoff and peanut butter was my bait of choice and it worked after about 8 hours. Our old Jack Russells were good ratters but our latest addition wasn’t remotely interested although she loves to sniff them out when we’re in the fields etc.
I'm guessing you had a mouse rather than a rat? The latter are a much bigger problem!

I think the very best traps are the electric ones, they are more humane as they kill said rodent instantly and you just tip them out into the bin. Only problem is as I have so many mice in the loft they've chewed through all the plastic on my electric ones....
Both the council and the pest control company have told me it's near impossible to stop them getting into a 100 year old house so I just have to live with them (well at least until I trap the buggers ):p :p

My Mum has a mouse in her house and is hysterical scared. Does anybody know a effective way of getting rid of them. She's so scared she doesn't want to live there anymore. Please help if you can
Get a Rat Terrier which is a breed of dog that specializes in catching rats and mice.

Put out a shallow dish of some sweet and highly carbonated soda over several days something like Coke / Coca-Cola for them to lap up. Put out several dishes around the place. The mice will lap it up like crazy because they think it is a treat. Unfortunately for them they cannot burp and the pressure kills them. The other downside is they may smell a little for a few days if they die in a heating vent or somewhere out of reach.

I remember reading about this method long ago in Popular Mechanics or such magazine. Tried it a time or two long ago and it worked.

Too funny, ferret! Manuel and his pet rat, Basil. :29:

Last edited:
I used those humane traps we live near a park and I took the mouse I'd caught and released it. A few seconds later I heard a scream from a lady who was on a stroll with her husband who was laughing out loud . I hadn't seen them on the path behind the shrubs where I released it and it had scuttled out clearly off looking for a better location . I of course had to apologise and explain, they were very understanding the lady wasn't too distressed and the husband was desperately trying to hold in his laughter for her benefit.

That's a bit on the funny side captain, she screamed seeing a critter out in nature.

I hope you were more than a few miles from your place. Just did a quick googly search on how far they will travel to return. Unless they find a better spot to set up camp... or something larger comes across them.

Back