Help - Negative Smilies

Big Unc

Dedicated Member
Am lost and going around in circles. Cannot post smilies not no how and am going around in circles trying to recall how to allow.

Hi Unc
Could you try to see if they work in another theme and let me know,Terry

I already tried that and have now run through five themes - no smilies on any for me.

Weird - but I practise hard.

:D:21::eek:8):) :whisper:
I can insert smilies to my heart's content in the Default Style theme. Can't imagine what they have against you, Big Unc. ???:confused:

Marianna

Last edited:
I can use smilies on the default theme. However they in turn seem to dwindle in size until they are little more than pinhead size. My eyes are not so good and I sometimes find them hard to differentiate :30: At present the only way I can pick the one with the whip is by virtue of the whip. The mad one where the head explodes is little more than pinhead size. :'(

No joy with Default Theme for me.

Find I can get smilies if I insert manually, i.e. type in the code.

:02: :unhappy: :mad: :02: :unhappy: :mad:

Gone to Google Chrome (from Internet Explorer):

:unhappy: :14: :mad: :'(

Never keen on things which are Browser dependent!!!!

Now find that I can copy and paste smilies even on Internet Explorer but the automatic function (simple left click) will not work. I am fairly au fait with PCs but cannot understand differences like this between Browsers. And I did not have this problem before recent update.

:pc: :02: :unhappy::confused:

Copied and pasted.

Not to mention that Internet Deplorable is so (and the most) non-compliant!

That is the type of remark which absolutely throws me. Non-compliant with what?

It is maybe necessary for me to explain that I spent all my professional life in an environment where software was subject to the most rigorous configuration regime. Before anything was introduced it had to be scrutinised to demonstrate it would work with the system in all conditions. Now to my simple mind 'compliance' requires that any website works with any Browser and particularly Internet Explorer which was, if not the first, amongst the first and which I suspect a large percentage of the PC world uses.

There does seem to be an element of chicken and egg here. ??? ??? ??? (Typed in)

That is the type of remark which absolutely throws me. Non-compliant with what?
W3C mainly
Now to my simple mind 'compliance' requires that any website works with any Browser and particularly Internet Explorer which was, if not the first, amongst the first and which I suspect a large percentage of the PC world uses.
I have spent a good part of my life designing HTML and or PHP websites for a vast variety of customers covering many styles and purposes. To put it in it's simplest form, code that I designed HAS to be tested against all regular browsers. They all differ, some are more W3C compliant than others, but the norm was that if my code works in Firefox, it would definitely work in Opera, Safari, Netscape and Chrome. The chances were well and truly stacked against it working in IE6/7/8/9 If any modification was needed it was always to make it work in the most insecure (very well documented) and most non-compliant (why on earth does a browser need a SEPERATE "Compatability Mode" button) browser out there!

My iPhone uses Safari and I can get smilies and stuff like that but I absolutely HATE internet explorer! I really prefer to use chrome.

:respect:

Well, that stirred things up nicely - extensive response some of / half of / most of / all of which I do not understand. Delete all non-applicable.

Some mention of W3C - never heard of. Presumably some specification. Formulated by whom? Was Microsoft involved/consulted?

I must admit I have encountered this criticism of Internet Explorer before. Put it down partially to an innate tendency on the part of some to attack Microsoft - always go for the big boy, the successful one. And I must admit to being lazy. I have everything set up on Internet Explorer and cannot be bothered setting up on another browser. At one time I believe there was problem getting Norton Identity Safe or some such to work with Google Chrome. And I am lost without my Norton filling in my passwords. And I have no doubt someone will promptly attack Norton because again, it is one of the big boys. And, in consistency with earlier assertions of mine, I do believe the onus is on Norton to get its product to work with Google browser and not vice-versa.

Any way, forbye all that - success, someone mentioned something about IE compatibility mode so I tried that with this website and it worked and I can now get smilies. Well, I think that is what did it unless one of our clever technical chappies did something.

:37::37::37::37::dance::dance::dance::dance::respect::respect::respect::respect:

Here are just a few examples why folk don't trust Internet Explorer

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...er-bug-say-hackers-ALREADY-exploiting-it.html

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ssues-internet-explorer-security-fix/8562737/

In this case Microsoft advised users to use another browser until they can find a fix

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2014/05/microsoft-issues-fix-for-ie-zero-day-includes-xp-users/

And this is just this year,now you would think a company of this ilk (you all know what a ilk is) would get it right by now,but they keep making the same mistakes and they have had security flaws from day one,at the end of the day it's your machine which could be hit due to the holes in I.E. and the nasties that it will allow to get to your machine and bypass your virus checker will be almost impossible to remove,in fact a lot of the time you won't even know it's there working away in the background,to start with your machine will be running slow,then your friends say they have had some very odd mail from you,your internet gets blocked as your machine has been acting as a mail server sending millions of spam mails everyday,or even worse your bank account is empty

Some mention of W3C - never heard of. Presumably some specification. Formulated by whom? Was Microsoft involved/consulted?
W3C - The standards which developers aim to achieve and adhere to.
http://www.w3.org/standards/
As a point of interest, the smilie display within vBulletin (the forum software we are using) uses a fairly complicated algorithm. It has to try and display the smilies, which are all shapes and sizes, in a variably sized box (depending on the style/theme in use) in a way that the browser understands. All browsers but one interpret this algorithm the way it was designed (fully w3c compliant). I won't mention which one screws the whole system up!

W3C - The standards which developers aim to achieve and adhere to.
http://www.w3.org/standards/
As a point of interest, the smilie display within vBulletin (the forum software we are using) uses a fairly complicated algorithm. It has to try and display the smilies, which are all shapes and sizes, in a variably sized box (depending on the style/theme in use) in a way that the browser understands. All browsers but one interpret this algorithm the way it was designed (fully w3c compliant). I won't mention which one screws the whole system up!

AAAAAAHH, All is coming clear :35: :35: :32:

AAAAAAHH, All is coming clear :35: :35: :32:

Which translation site are you using? I've been sat here for two days just trying to pinpoint the language. I've got it nailed down too either South Eastern dialect of the Mongolian herdsmen ORRRR an ancient long since extinct Brazilian Rainforest language from a tribe of cannibals. :13:

Back