Hello

Philosopher Clegg

Dedicated Member
Hello to everyone.

I was at school in the 70's when the series began and have been watching ever since. My favorite era would be the glory years, I suppose you could call them the Compo years. Clegg would be my favorite character, hence the member name!

I have to confess that I was not that big a fan of the final trio, although I do like Brian Murphy (from the days of George and Mildred) as Alvin and felt that he fitted well into the trio tradition. Hobo on the other hand was for me was one of the worst leading characters and I've watched the final two series a couple of times to give the character a chance. Just don't think it worked, if anyone can convince me otherwise I will gladly debate it!

One of the great attractions for me of the series, at least the first 15-20 years as I came to see it, was that it was often a mistake that LOTSW was seen as being about old people. As time went by and the characters aged they became old, but essentially the series started off as a reflection of 1970's Britain, middle aged men without jobs being thrown on the scrapheap of life and how they dealt with it. It's amazing that a series about the unemployed and perhaps unemployable was for many years one of the most popular comedies around. I liked the grittiness of the earlier years, while later it did become softer, more in keeping with the mainstream.

Now that it has ended the good thing is we have almost 300 episodes to watch, although you won't catch me too often watching the Hobo years!

Hello to everyone.

I was at school in the 70's when the series began and have been watching ever since. My favorite era would be the glory years, I suppose you could call them the Compo years. Clegg would be my favorite character, hence the member name!

I have to confess that I was not that big a fan of the final trio, although I do like Brian Murphy (from the days of George and Mildred) as Alvin and felt that he fitted well into the trio tradition. Hobo on the other hand was for me was one of the worst leading characters and I've watched the final two series a couple of times to give the character a chance. Just don't think it worked, if anyone can convince me otherwise I will gladly debate it!

One of the great attractions for me of the series, at least the first 15-20 years as I came to see it, was that it was often a mistake that LOTSW was seen as being about old people. As time went by and the characters aged they became old, but essentially the series started off as a reflection of 1970's Britain, middle aged men without jobs being thrown on the scrapheap of life and how they dealt with it. It's amazing that a series about the unemployed and perhaps unemployable was for many years one of the most popular comedies around. I liked the grittiness of the earlier years, while later it did become softer, more in keeping with the mainstream.

Now that it has ended the good thing is we have almost 300 episodes to watch, although you won't catch me too often watching the Hobo years!

Welcome Aboard,look forward to your input on this forum full of happy folk and more than a few crackpots

Hi there and welcome. There are some kindred spirits on the forum here who would readily share your views on Hobbo ;)

Thanks for the welcome.

Hi there and welcome. There are some kindred spirits on the forum here who would readily share your views on Hobbo ;)

I think it was a shame that Hobbo didn't really work when it was important to get it right with a new major character considering the series had been facing the axe for a few years previous. Hobbo was basically Foggy reborn, accept that the latter's back story, a low level career military man who was a fantasist and tried to live out those fantasies by bossing Compo and Clegg about was at least believable. Hobbo might have been more believable if he had been a low level career civil servant at a major Government Department that was never named now retired, a mystery man returning to Holmfirth, not a milkman! The uncomfortable thing about his character was whether he was actually sane or not! I don't wish to be too unkind as Russ Abbot can act quite well, but his appearances reminded me of one of his madhouse characters from the 80's, the facial mannerisms, voice, etc. Roy Clarke doesn't often get a character wrong, but he looked like he was running out of ideas with Hobbo. I remember watching an episode from the final series with my mother and even she said he's just trying to be Foggy.

Hello. Very good insight on the show. I think that is part of why we all love it so eh? Life should be enjoyed no matter what outcomes cumstances. I feel better already and ready to face that old cruel world tomorrow! 8) ;)

Back