Guest stars

Mike

A little game we used to play on the way home from filming was which actors we would like to see appear in the programme, and more specifically in what role. I'll start the ball rolling with a couple of mine and add some more later. I always thought I'd like to see John Mills playing the elder brother of the Utterthwaite family. Also I thought Anne Reid and Thelma Barlow would be perfect as Billy's wife and her sister.

Last edited:
Max Wall as Compo's long lost brother [if he had one] . Mentioned before and typecast but Windsor Davies as Foggy's Sergeant from his army days. Leslie Philips as a lothario who rivals Howard for Marina's fair hand [but in a longer stint than Brian Rawlinson as the traffic warden] . There has to be some sort of part for Brian Blessed for the noise alone.

I always thought Leslie Philips too, maybe with links to the golf course. A friend said that Peggy Mount should have played Marina's unseen mother. He did appear in the series but I always thought that Peter Baldwin bore more than a passing resembelence to Michael Aldridge.
I did also think that in 'Welcome to Earth' when everybody rushes out of the pub there should be one solitary figure left seated with his drink, he turns and Jon Pertwee winks at the camera.

I always thought that Arthur Lowe with a slightly modified version of Capt Mainwaring would have been great playing Foggys brother. They would have caused even more havoc in Holmfirth.

I'm sure as a local girl Mollie Sugden could have fitted in with the ladies, andvJohn Inman would have added a bit of colour. And talking of local!s, how about Sir Patrick Stewart playing a failed thespian trying to put on a dramatic piece in the local church hall.

I think if Jean Alexander was not playing Auntie she would have been great as Marina's mother

Back