Goodbye British Telecom

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
Made the decision today to wave goodbye to BT,fed up with the slow speeds,prices hikes and customer service (Which in itself is a contradiction)

So after jumping through the usual hoops to speak to a human,it seems as I managed to press the endless buttons and hit the disconnection team, I actually spoke to someone in the UK who was shocked that I wanted to terminate my account with them

I explained several of my reasons for leaving,which included the fact that long term customers were subsidising new contract give-aways, like £100 vouchers if you join BT, or free BT sport, nothing of which he could do anything about, but to add insults to customers,if you decide to leave and you are past your minimum contract period and paid all your bills etc,they still charge you £30 to disconnect you.

I didn't know how lucky I was! When I had my Verizon (US telephone service provider) land line disconnected, it didn't cost me anything. The first customer service person with whom I spoke took care of it and she wasn't even surprised at the request. That was several years ago, and I have yet to regret the decision.

Marianna

Glad to see I am off before more inflation busting price increases and all the other providers are jumping on the bandwagon even though their wholesale price is dropping, the call charges if you don't take a call package are 26p for the first minute with BT, over 5 old shillings for the first minute,remember the old days you could call Australia for less than that,yet now it will cost you that to call your neighbour,happy days

Glad to see I am off before more inflation busting price increases and all the other providers are jumping on the bandwagon even though their wholesale price is dropping, the call charges if you don't take a call package are 26p for the first minute with BT, over 5 old shillings for the first minute,remember the old days you could call Australia for less than that,yet now it will cost you that to call your neighbour,happy days

I saw the price hike on the BBC this morning, best thing I ever did was get rid of the landline, saves me a fortune.

I saw the price hike on the BBC this morning, best thing I ever did was get rid of the landline, saves me a fortune.

Must look into all of this - what a bore. I use Plusnet (now a BT subsidiary) for landline plus broadband but then I hardly use a mobile phone except for the occasional text.
But can one have a Broadband connection without having a landline?

As a totally separate entity I have Sky TV which links into my Broadband with its Catch Up TV (which can be useful). I must admit I am tempted to get BT Sport one way or another.

:14: :14: :14:

We have TalkTalk internet and while you need a landline installed you don't have to plug a phone into the socket! Most forms you fill in now require a phone number as mandatory to I hand that one out knowing full well that if it rings I can't hear it ;) You give your number to one firm and the next thing you know they have sold it on to every sales company on the planet.
This may surprise you to know but I can be quite nasty to salespeople ringing in the middle of the night so basically I'm doing them a favour.

We have TalkTalk internet and while you need a landline installed you don't have to plug a phone into the socket! Most forms you fill in now require a phone number as mandatory to I hand that one out knowing full well that if it rings I can't hear it ;) You give your number to one firm and the next thing you know they have sold it on to every sales company on the planet.
This may surprise you to know but I can be quite nasty to salespeople ringing in the middle of the night so basically I'm doing them a favour.

But I suspect you will still be paying a landline rental.

And I find it hard to believe you would be nasty at any time. But then again, I could be lying.

:me: :me: :me: :me: :me:​

::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Yes but the way I see it I'm paying for the line for the internet and not the phone. It works for me and I'm not answering the blithering phone every five minutes like I used to so I'm happy! Well ishh :D

All of this talk about land lines, internet connections, mobile phones, and so on and so forth is making my head spin. A necessary evil.

I would gladly get rid of landline but for one minor problem. No mobile signal on ground floor!

Possibly an internet based number might work as wifi signal reaches ground floor - just.

Or as Michael Flanders said "you could always try cabling me -MICKFLAN LONDON" only I would be BARMPOT KEIGHLEY.

Snag there is if spoken half the world will spell it Keith Lee and if written half the world will pronounce it Keeley.

Back