From The Administrator

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Members

I thought it may be nice to have a section where members can introduce themselves and give other members a flavour of who,where and what us fans are, do not add anything to personal like your home address or phone number, but you can write as much or little as you like, I will start the ball rolling.

My first name is Terry and I live with my wife in West Yorkshire, out on the moors and not far from Haworth,we have lived here for 12 years after moving from the hustle & bustle of the south

I am a retired Telecom engineer and prior to that I worked in the Fire Service in Hertfordshire,we are both great fans of losw and I started watching it in the 70's as my father always had it on

I created this website and forum as a hobby about 18 month's ago, at the time the current losw websites had vanished or were not being updated,which was a shame as there are many of us fans out there that just want to chat with other fans, due to the show I have made many friends over the years

For several years I have been lucky enough to watch them filming, and I am always amazed how hard the cast and crew work to bring us this great show, often in bad weather,though it never really shows when we watch it, and the fact the cast many in their senior years work a 12-14 hour day.

Hobbies,other than the obvious,I enjoy photography,travel, IT & Computing plus the grandchildren

Great idea Terry
I am a geordie from South Shields I'm married and have 4 kids and 4 grandchildren and have been a summer wine fan since watching the very first episode when I was 17...I'll be 54 this year.
Because of emphycema I rarely go out and most of my time is spent watching summer wine.I collect autographs of anyone who has appeared in lotsw and my most treasured possession is a signed script of 'A Tale of two Sweaters' signed by Alan JW Bell.
I was a pretty good footballer (Soccer player) as a young man and had trials for a couple of lower league clubs but was informed I was too small.
Although I'm a very shy person I love to make people laugh.If you're laughing you're not crying...unless of course you're crying with laughter......
Anyway that's me folks. :)

My name is Chuck, and I live with my wife of 40 someodd
years in Durham NC USA, although we both grew up in
Massachusetts. I am 67, and a retired technical writer
for IBM. Also did post-retirement gigs at Cisco Systems
and others.

Currently keeping several "found" computers running,
mostly to download UK programs.

We travel to Yorkshire every Spring and often stay in
Holmfirth. In fact, we were watching TV in a B&B one night
in the mid 90's and saw THE LAST of the Summer Wine.
Or at least that's how we heard it. Thought we'd catch
the last ever program. Fell in love with it. Now, between
trading discs and downloading we have all the shows
thus far.

We also enjoy The News Quiz, Have I Got News For You,
As Time Goes By, everything by Herriot, and all the
novels of Nevil Shute.

Still trying to figger out how to sell up and move over!

My name is **** (who would have thought 8) ) and I´m from Germany. I´m a biologist in search of a proper job (very hard in Germany). I´m 30 and have become a fan only 1,5 years ago when I learned about the existence of somebody called Peter Sallis whose voice I had just heard for the first time in "The Wind in the Willows" on Youtube. I fell in love with that voice so much that I dug up all my very rusty school English and watched everything I could find, and then I found LOTSW. At first I could hardly understand a word, but it came step by step and now I´m alright more or less.
I have been to England for the first time last spring to come and see Peter live in a theatre, and that was the beginning of a friendship I wouldn´t want to miss for the world.
They say I´m eccentric, and I guess I am, for a German ;). But who cares for normal, normal is boring. My hobbies, apart from LOTSW and other Peter-related things, are terraristics/ herpetology (no, not about herpes, it´s about amphibians and reptiles) for the past 15 years, taking photos, reading, drawing and marvelling at the beauty of nature if you can put it like that. My English is a bit bumpy, but like George I´m shy and like to make people laugh, even if it´s only about my funny way of putting things ;D.

My name is Stuart. I was born in Leeds but now live in Bradford - and have done for the last 20 years. I worked as a painter and decorator up to 12 years ago but contracted osteo arthritis in my ankle through an old fracture from playing football and have to give up so I took it upon myself to take an IT course and got a job in admin. I was made redundant and am now awaiting to start a new job with a local Supermarket.

I am 51, widowed, and have a pet female Siamese cross called Purdey. I became a SW fan from the off, although I fell in love with the area when I was very young, my mum had friends who owned a farm in Upper Cumberworth just a mile or so up the hill from the White Horse and I spent some time there in the school holidays.

I visit Holmfirth as often as I can and have seen filming on more than one ocassion, I have been lucky enough to meet Sarah Thomas and Stephen Lewis - both very nice people I may add. :)

Well I live in the Pennines, not that far from Terry. - some 20 miles north of SW territory. Originally I come from the south of England but have been in Yorkshire for a long time.

Have watched it since 1973 and have got quite a collection of books about SW as well as tapes and DVDs, and visit Holmfirth from time to time. However I have never seen the filming.

I am a retired lecturer, although still studying for another qualification!

I also make models and dioramas - very occasionally for other people - as well as keeping busy.

My name is Rod - the "barmpot" comes from the fact that I guess there is a degree of eccentricity about me and the term seems apt. It is a word used from time to time in SW so I used it as an alias.

Favourite character is Cleggy - those wry almost throw away comments are a feature I like a great deal.

Hello everyone. My name is Doug, I'm 52 and live in the United States in Arkansas. I started watching LOTSW years ago when our local public broadcasting service started showing it (and still do) every weeknight at 10pm. In my opinion, LOTSW is the BEST show ever made period. That's the best show ever from either side of the pond.

I've been to England and just love the country and the good people from north to south. That driving on the left was a fun change.. ;D ....I also enjoy watching several other "Britcoms" but nothing compares to Summer Wine...

I'm George from Bangor, North Wales.
I was originaly born in Rossendale, Lancashire but moved to Anglesey in 1988.
I'm 56, live alone and have three grown-up kids and five grandchildren...and a 9 year old Staffordshire bull terrier called Jackson, plus a 2008 Triumph Thruxton 900 motorcycle.

I started work in 1970 in the ladies fashion shoe industry in Lancs and left in 1986 to start my own motorcycle business, as i have been a biker for over 40 years.
I had to close the bike business down due to heart problems (i've had three heart ops, the first was in 1958 at 4 years old and the last in 1998.

In 2001, i launched an audio/visual production studio in Bangor and in 2004, i launched a music publishing company and two record labels, one that caters exclusively for Welsh language releases.

I started watching summer wine in the mid-eighties and was hooked from there-on.
I recorded many episodes to VHS tape, as i'm sure many other members also did, although most of them are not in brilliant condition anymore due to continuous playing for many years, so i was delighted when the Beeb started releasing the DVD sets, i just wish they would continue and let us have the whole lot.

I visited Holmfirth a few times in the eighties when i still lived in Rossendale.
Myself and the missus (at the time) and the first two kids, used to have a Sunday trip out, along with my mother occasionaly.

I'm still a member of Summerwine online, since 2004 i think.
I haven't checked to see if anything is still happening on the site for a year or so, i doubt it as they had lost some staff and investors to keep the site active.
So, i expect that now that this is the final year of Summer Wine (sob!), i'm hoping that Summerwine.net will continue and we can still keep in contact with each other.
Well done Terry, da iawn.

George ; )

Hello to all you Summer Wine fans.

I've been following this site for a while now but never got around to joining but i've found it great to catch up on my favourite TV show.

I'm David, 27 from Merthyr Tydfil in South Wales. I currently live in Yarmouth, Isle of Wight, working as an Assistant Restaurant Manager.

I started watching Last of the Summer Wine when I was 7 as my parents always had it on the TV. I fell in love with it as I was brought up in a very scenic part of Merthyr Tydfil and could relate to the show's scenery.

As a became older I started buying the videos, books and anything related to the show, but when I was 16 I persuaded my dad that we should go to Holmfirth and we did. It turned out they were filming in the area and I was overjoyed to see Last of the Summer Wine 'live' so to speak.

I have made regular trips to Holmfirth since and have met a few of the cast, crew, and on a rare occasion Roy Clarke! It was fantastic but the person I wanted to meet the most was Jane Freeman, as she grew up in the same town as me and went to the same school as my mother. So you can imagine how I felt having a photo and chat with her.

I attended the dinners in Holmfirth Civic Centre, the dinner at Pinewood studios to mark the 30th anniversary and also the Bill Owen and Last of the Summer Wine day at the BBC and Grosvenor House Hotel.

People dont believe me when I tell them my favourite show is LOSW, they say its for older people but I tell them its for everyone. No-one can be offended watching the show and everything about it is truly amazing. The writing, the actors, the producers and the superb Yorkshire countryside!

Sad to see it finishing and it deserves a lot more recognition than it gets!

Thank you for setting up this site Terry, and long may it continue!

Hi all,
My Name is Michael and i am one of scotlands many LOTSW fans, Its only in the last few years ive grown to love LOTSW, I was given dvds to watch while i was getting over an illness and slowly but surely i was hooked.

Now i cant get enough of them, I have all the DVDS and watch religiously every day on UK GOLD ,Yesterday was "only a small funeral" and as usual i cried my eyes out, Its amazing how you become attached to these characters over time and Compo ,Foggy and Clegg have become legendary.
Up here in my village there are 3 old men who walk the hills with their dogs every day and they are lovingly referred to as "the last of the summer wine" so the legacy of our heroes will live on.

Its so sad that the show is ending But all good things come to an end as they say and with only Peter Sallis and Jane Freeman left from the original cast i suppose it is time to bow out gracefully, I am sure i will shed a tear when Clegg says the last words on the last show.

So nice to meet you all,
Michael.

Well, figured it was time to do this. Though, I figure I would be just like Clegg and do a short and brief introduction.. then cower away from the podium.

My real name is Claye, my nickname on here comes from another show that I watched end here in the US called Mystery Science Theater 3000. It's a show where this guy and his robot friends (two puppets) watch really bad/cheesy movies with bad scripts, bad effects and bad plots.

Anyways, I'm 36 years old and graduated from College with a degree in Fine Arts. Unfortunately haven't really had a chance to use it for a profession. The economy being the way it is, I really can't find anything.

As for my introduction to Last of the Summer Wine. In 2007 my whole family took a trip to Florida to go to Walt Disney World and the other parks around there. I was in the hotel room one evening and changed it to the PBS station there (Public Broadcasting Station - which is where most of us have gotten our flavor and fanship for British shows and Britcoms) and I saw that Doctor Who was on. It was an Eccleston episode, but it was a sight to see since the last time Doctor Who had been on our PBS station at home was 20 years ago.

We came back from our trip to Florida, and even though I had seen most of the episodes they were showing of the new Doctor Who. I'd still tune in for the opening or depending on the episode. In turning it to channel to wait for Doctor Who, I noticed this other show that was on right before it. A lot of green foliage, a lot of hills, buildings seemed old fashioned in how they were built and noticing the dry rock walls too. This show seemed to be stuck in its own little time bubble. The ending tune also started to be catchy.

Week after week I'd hear it, then I decided to check out the first few minutes of this show. These three men, who looked like they were past their prime were having a foot race! I was especially in awe at the one in the green woolen hat participating in this, even though the race only lasted 5 seconds with all three gasping in exhaustion. I thought to myself, what a premise!

Later on in the weeks, I'd catch a segment of them trying to chase a giant carrot.. This kept pulling away at my interest. I remember watching the ending to "Who Made a Bit of a Splash in Wales Then". Finally starting to watch a whole episode when "The Flag and It's Snags" aired. I'm not sure if this was before or after they showed "Heavily Reinforced Bottom" out of rotation. I think it might've been after, because I really enjoyed "Heavily Reinforced Bottom" and I think that's what hooked me. I continued to watch the normal rotation episodes till it got to "Here We Go Into the Wild Blue Yonder" and "Here We Go Again into the Wild Blue Yonder". After those two, I was REALLY hooked to the show.

I don't know how I missed "Full Steam Behind", that's another favorite of mine and thanks to the DVDs I bought soon after I finally watched the episode that drew me in that very first time.. "Isometrics and After".

I liked the premise of the show and I "got" the meaning or the theme of the show. I started doing artwork of it in 2008. Then the announcement of Kathy Staff passing away, I was motivated to do that Speed Drawing video.. and the others soon followed.

Last year in July I started doing these comics. I had seen only a portion of the book of comics that someone did of the show back in the 80s, and I'm in no way trying to copy his ideas (which is probably good that I don't have the book or have seen anymore of the comics in that book) but I dunno.. A Summer Wine comic seemed to strike me as a neat idea. Especially since 2008 was in between Series 30 and Series 31.. a whole year in between.

From what I can tell, you fans seem to enjoy it and thanks to Terry I got an article about them in the Huddersfield Examiner.

Today, these comics continue though the show has ended and I hope to continue them for a long time.

Okay, so I didn't do a Clegg here. Instead, I rambled on like Foggy during one of his war stories. lol

We are from Oklahoma in the US. and and about 2 miles from the Arkansas line and have enjoyed Last of The Summer wine for about 10 or 12 years now maybe longer as well as other great British shows like As Time Goes BY, ALLO ALLO, Faulty Tower's and several more since i have hooked up satellite up in the bedroom and don't intend to . We watch Last of The Summer wine twice every night at least 4 night's a week because we get 2 different PBS station's. We get to see all the older show and don't mind a bit watching reruns as long as Compo and Clergy are in the along with Nora , Ivy, Wesley,Howard,Pearl, and of course Marina and all the gang.
I hope to come for a visit someday to walk around as much as i am able with my back problem's and visit with the people i have met on the internet from there. Love the beautiful country and i am not saying where i live isn't beautiful but as the saying goes the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence or pond in my case. If you want to come to the State's for a visit we have an extra bedroom and will be happy to put you up for a spell. Thanks for allowing me to be a member of your site and hope we get to see the newer episode's someday.
Thanks for keeping me updated on what has happened with the show and thanks to you i have received an email from Tom and Juliette which i will cherish for ever. Now if i could just contact more from the show Like Clergy and others it would be great. Sorry for making this so long but have a lot to say and really enjoy the shows from across the pond.

Thanks Mike

I'm james from sunderland in the north east of england, i'm 26 years old. I started watching LOTSW quite some years ago, i really love the show always have and always will. i'm married with two children aged 5 and 3, however both girls so in the future i will need to play a Nora type figure with my mop or brush at the door to keep little ragamuffins away from my girls, ha ha. LOTSW reminds me of Sunday nights going to my grandparents house and sitting down with the old coal fire burning, having a mug of coco, watching the shows and just listening to my grandfather laughing. Happy days sadly now gone, he's still alive but the show isn't. i'm a painter and decorator by the way.

I'm james from sunderland in the north east of england, i'm 26 years old. I started watching LOTSW quite some years ago, i really love the show always have and always will. i'm married with two children aged 5 and 3, however both girls so in the future i will need to play a Nora type figure with my mop or brush at the door to keep little ragamuffins away from my girls, ha ha. LOTSW reminds me of Sunday nights going to my grandparents house and sitting down with the old coal fire burning, having a mug of coco, watching the shows and just listening to my grandfather laughing. Happy days sadly now gone, he's still alive but the show isn't. i'm a painter and decorator by the way.
Welcome to the forum neighbour (I'm from South Shields)

Hello ,My names Robin and I have just moved out in to the sticks in West Sussex a little Village called Amberley, I am an actor and have been since my early 20`s ,I am 40 now, I have done a few brief parts on TV but mostly work in Rep theatre or do short films for Film Schools etc, still waiting for a break! I have also been writing a sitcom on and off for 7 years , I am having a break from it for now but take my notebook everywhere I go and write down any ideas I have whilst out and about, I will go back to it and do hope to one day finish it and make a 30 minute pilot.

When I am not acting and auditions are thin on the ground I did do a bit of driving but recently I have been signed off sick from that job as I have high blood pressure and the stress of driving was making it worse so on Doc`s advice, I am taking it easy ,although nothing will stop me from looking for acting work!

I even wrote to Mr Bell asking for an audition for LOTSW and he sent me a lovely letter back, and I may have got lucky and had an audition but will never know now because the pesky BBC have taken the show off the air.

I have loved Summer wine since I was a young kid about 6 , I used to always insist on having my bath before it came on ,so that I could watch it, I loved the Theme tune(still do) and loved Compo, Cleggy and Foggy but Compo has always been my favourite, his performances were nothing less than genius and he should have won all kinds of awards , he was simply brilliant .

I have all the DVD`s available and all books and audio tapes, it`s one of the finest programmes ever made, I just love everything about it, So sad that most of the actors have died ,people like Joe Gladwin (his performance in the Mysterious feet of Nora batty is one of my all time favourites) Thora Hird ,Danny O`dea, Kathy Staff , John Comer and Gordon Wharmby will never be forgotten all such important parts of the success of this superb show.

My favourite episodes are the three covering Compo`s death , I cried buckets in them, Peter Sallis was so magnificent and you could see he wasn`t acting ,it was all from the heart, heartbreaking, but somehow the legend Mr Clarke made it funny too..I also love The Mysterious Feet of Nora Batty ,The Loxley Lozenge, Stop That Bath,The Only surviving Maurice Chevalier Impressionist but I love them all.

My only gripe is that I found the show went downhill the minute Tom Owen was cast ,he was never going to come anywhere near his Dad as a performer and his performances in my opinion are embarrassing, I also saw him being interviewed not so long ago and he was basically saying the reason Summer wine stayed on after his Dad`s death was down to him doing something right, a pretty deluded fella, sorry if I am speaking out of turn but for me he was extraordinary lucky to be given a part and he certainly did not take the opportunity ,all the later episodes were better in my opinion when he was given less airtime. Again a lot of people may disagree but that`s my feelings. Sure he`s a lovely bloke though.

Anyway I have waffled on far too long, Hello to you all.

Back