Foggy's first run or second - which was best?

lotswfan72

Dedicated Member
Foggy the character had 2 bites of the cherry so to speak so which was the best run. He appeared first from 76-85 then 90-97!

there both good runs i think, although seeing i grew up in his second era i will have to go for that, the second era for me

His first run was better by far. Plenty of classics in that period.

His second run had a couple of good years at the start, but the mid 90s was for my money the worst period of LotSW, the show became formulaic (open with Compo irritating Nora, Foggy boring a stranger with war stories, Howard interrupting Clegg with some plan to see Marina), and just not as funny. Thankfully the arrival of Frank Thornton injected a new life into the show.

Plus I'm not sure I like the character as much in the second run, the Walter Mitty fantasies just don't do it for me. In his first run he was very much the leader of men, coming up with schemes to get involved in, but in the second run, i just find him a lot more of a pathetic, rather sad character.

His first run was better by far. Plenty of classics in that period.

His second run had a couple of good years at the start, but the mid 90s was for my money the worst period of LotSW, the show became formulaic (open with Compo irritating Nora, Foggy boring a stranger with war stories, Howard interrupting Clegg with some plan to see Marina), and just not as funny. Thankfully the arrival of Frank Thornton injected a new life into the show.

Plus I'm not sure I like the character as much in the second run, the Walter Mitty fantasies just don't do it for me. In his first run he was very much the leader of men, coming up with schemes to get involved in, but in the second run, i just find him a lot more of a pathetic, rather sad character.

I agree overall with DJinUK, although my thoughts aren't quite as negative. The first era of Foggy was the best, particularly with great moments in Series 6 and 8. His second run started out with a bang; Return of the Warrior, Sun-ray Major, Charity Balls, Captain Zero, etc. Come to think of it, as I review Series 12, it is arguably the best series of all!. However, the show grew a bit repetitive after Foggy's first season back.
There were still a few gems in the mid 90's such as Gypsies in the Bottom of our Garden and Camera Shy. I was also happy to see Foggy end on a strong note (well with his 2nd to last episode at least), with Destiny and Six Bananas. That performance thwarts DJ's description of Foggy a pathetic and sad!

I tend to agree with the above from codfanglers, loved his first outing and then prefered the earlier episodes second time around. Always laugh at his explanation of what he put on his poisoned dart even though i've seen it many times, it's the way he delivered his lines i liked.

There are many great episodes in both eras but I think over all the second go round is probably the best, I like the more mellow Foggy the best. Compo was able to feed off him better leading to some better banter and funnier jokes at Foggy's expense.

second for me,,Foggy was more like a character in his own right. Similar threads to this could be started for Nora and Barry. Mr Wainwright had 2 spells too but brief ones

I think there were gems in both but on balance I think the first had more of the best, that first one "the man for oswestry" is brilliant and I love the "The flag and its snag " and its sequel , but the second run had the one about polo I think and also "How to clean your pipes" they are lovely as well. For me the really good ones shine because the scripts have all three interacting with each other and the other characters rather than when they are split up.

I agree this is a tough one. I think that foggy when he cam back was a bit more eccentric then his early days but the early episodes are classics so I think I will go with the early episodes(just)

I like both for different reasons, but the first if I must choose. I think the writing was at it's strongest those years and there are so many of my favorite episodes and Foggy moments at that time.

Every body is right - this is a difficult one. The first round of Foggy episodes were classics and yes the character did come back slightly changed but personally I enjoy the return episodes aswell. I think it shows the ability of Brian Wilde, as an actor, to convey the writing into an appealing character. So I would have to say that both runs are as good as one another, in providing the entertainment we all love.

I have a question though. Who would members choose as the best '3rd Man', up to Compo's death. Blamire (Michael Bates), Foggy (Brian Wilde), Seymour (Michael Aldridge) or Truly (Frank Thornton)? Now thats a quandary!

For me its impossible : Blamire, Foggy, Seymour and Truly were all great and funny in different ways and all fulfilled the role of "Leader !!" wonderfully. So I can't make comparisons, the Actors who bought them to life were brilliant and I salute and thank them all.

For me there is no question that the earlier period was better. I know I am on record as never having been a Foggy fan. I generally found his character irritating and mildly embarrassing. I suppose it had a lot to do with the fact that I met a lot of folk like him in real life. In contrast, I cannot recall anyone who truly measured up to being a genuine Clegg double.

I totally concur with whoever it was suggested that Truly brought a freshness and energy to the show when he came in. And that, to me, was compounded further with the arrival of Billy Hardcastle.

I don't know if this thought has got any mileage in it. But let us conjecture that when Michael Aldridge was forced to leave, had Brian Wilde not been available, had Frank Thornton also not yet been available who might have stood in? And please, no suggestions of Russ Abbot. I still think Hobbo was disastrous.

For me there is no question that the earlier period was better. I know I am on record as never having been a Foggy fan. I generally found his character irritating and mildly embarrassing. I suppose it had a lot to do with the fact that I met a lot of folk like him in real life. In contrast, I cannot recall anyone who truly measured up to being a genuine Clegg double.

Hello Big Unc. This is a topic we have been through before. I have always respected and completely understood where you stand. However, let me throw this thought at you. Do viewer have to "like" every single character of a sitcom? Sometimes it takes the negative traits of one character to bring out the best of humor in the others. Also, I think there is value in fictional characters being very similar to people we really know. It helps the show play off real life.

I agree overall with DJinUK, although my thoughts aren't quite as negative. The first era of Foggy was the best, particularly with great moments in Series 6 and 8. His second run started out with a bang; Return of the Warrior, Sun-ray Major, Charity Balls, Captain Zero, etc. Come to think of it, as I review Series 12, it is arguably the best series of all!. However, the show grew a bit repetitive after Foggy's first season back.

There are many great episodes in both eras but I think over all the second go round is probably the best, I like the more mellow Foggy the best. Compo was able to feed off him better leading to some better banter and funnier jokes at Foggy's expense.

I have been taking a bit of a hiatus from the forum lately simply because of my really busy life and the fact that I am currently out of any new thoughts I can add to the discussions. After my first comment back I find Susan with an opposing view point. I am comforted in knowing some things never change. :)

I have been taking a bit of a hiatus from the forum lately simply because of my really busy life and the fact that I am currently out of any new thoughts I can add to the discussions. After my first comment back I find Susan with an opposing view point. I am comforted in knowing some things never change. :)
. Glad to help ;)

I totally concur with whoever it was suggested that Truly brought a freshness and energy to the show when he came in. And that, to me, was compounded further with the arrival of Billy Hardcastle.

I don't know if this thought has got any mileage in it. But let us conjecture that when Michael Aldridge was forced to leave, had Brian Wilde not been available, had Frank Thornton also not yet been available who might have stood in? And please, no suggestions of Russ Abbot. I still think Hobbo was disastrous.

I agree with that last statment Big Unc,
Fulton mackay was the choice so people say!

I think Fulton Mackay was used more of a threat to Brian Wilde when he was having a disagreement with the bosses but I think he would have been a good addition to the bang, would have been interresting to see how they would explain the Scottish accent though :D

Back