Foggy

Discussion in 'Series & Other Polls' started by Ch74, Mar 12, 2016.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. RickAns

RickAns Well-Known Member

Seymour has grown on me the more I have re-watched the episodes that he is in. To my surprise Hobbo was even more like able on my last re-watch of him as well. Something I really enjoyed about Wesley and Seymour is the crazy devices they would invent to test out with the group. I used to love to tinker and create when I was younger so that is dear to me.

I think you are right in your thoughts, Dick. There does seem to be more camaraderie with Seymour at times than with Foggy. From what I recall reading is that as time went on Brian started to feel he was more of a major character than the others. He wanted more pay and billing credit than the rest of the trio. I must admit after reading that bit it did tarnish my feelings of him for a little while. Those slightly negative feelings have passed as I re-watch the series. He is still an enjoyable character and compliments the trio. Foggy and Compo having differing political ideals in real life as well as on the show also added some tension to the mix I figure. All in all there are some good writing and acting in the Foggy years.

To me it came across as Blaymire, Foggy and Seymour felt they were above the others. Where Truly, Entwhistle, Alvin, Tom and Billy seemed more as mates and equals with everyone. Though Truly at times did put on airs of superiority in a jest full manner due to his job. After all he was Truly of the Yard, though he may be lying. ;-)

I am glad to see the ladies mellow some. They could be a bit harsh on their men at times.

Pearl's accent does seem to smooth out in time. I had read that before and was not sure if I had just gotten used to the way she talks. On my last watch through I do see that it does come across more strongly early on. Maybe she was trying a bit hard in the beginning to be the curmudgeon Howard thinks she can be. Then over the episodes she got more comfortable and settled into her role.

Cheers,
    Rick

captain clutterbuck and dick like this.
  2. dick

dick Well-Known Member

The best Russ Abbott one to my mind is "Who's that looking Sideways at Nelly" Keeping an eye out for our own Terry and his car!

3. dick

dick Well-Known Member

I'd sooner watch earlier episodes than most of the Russ Abbott!

4. Ch74

Ch74 Active Member

Not at all my friend I just never looked for it. Now I know I'll watch out for it

I never thought I'd say this but having watched all the series now the Russ Abbott last 2 series seem rushed and not quite as great as I first thought

dick likes this.
  5. dick

dick Well-Known Member

It seems subtle to me , Peter and Bill seemed to get on well but not so much with Brian. As I said it's just my opinion. You obviously see it differently which is your prerogative !:)

6. Ch74

Ch74 Active Member

Which comes across on screen? Are we talking subtle bits

I know foggy was Conservative and theres a few scenes where compo shouts I bet he votes Tory -when someone drives past ignoring them

I also read that Brian wasn't into political correctness (which I agree with him there) but didn't expand on it in the book

7. dick

dick Well-Known Member

As I said Chris in my opinion it shows sometimes on screen.:thumbsdown:

8. chris

chris Well-Known Member

Its well known that in fact that relations between Bill and Brian were not good but it did not carry over into filming and eventualy they had separate changing rooms, Brian was a difficult person to deal with but it all came out okay on screen.

9. dick

dick Well-Known Member

Having watched some of the Seymour episodes this weekend, I think what makes them more likeable for me is the fact that underneath the script words is something that they call camaraderie.( they seem to be matey) In some of the Foggy episodes, to me at least , there is an antipathy between them. They are consummate actors but it doesn't come across as very friendly.This may not go down well but it's my opinion.:cautious::rolleyes:

barmpot, me2, Marianna and 2 others like this.
  10. Pearl

Pearl Super Moderator Staff Member

Are they still talking about her at Coopers Cake Shop?

11. captain clutterbuck

captain clutterbuck Well-Known Member

As Edie would say " Oh Parl one does not gossip one only exchanges information of interest " :)

12. Pearl

Pearl Super Moderator Staff Member

" Can't stand here gossupin."

13. Ch74

Ch74 Active Member

I originally believed Hobbo was the best there has been but watching Foggy changed my mind. He's outstanding

14. dick

dick Well-Known Member

I am a firm fan of the Seymour Years, particularly Getting Barry Higher In The World. But that's just my taste ,it wouldn't do for us all to like the same. Hobbo is/was an acquired taste not everyone liked him at first. He may grow on you as you see the later episodes more. As for Edie's posh accent that gets more funny the more you listen.:smile::08:

captain clutterbuck and Ch74 like this.
  15. Ch74

Ch74 Active Member

Nothing makes me laugh more than Edie putting that posh accent on and 'drink your coffee':29:

16. Ch74

Ch74 Active Member

Cant really get into the Seymour ones. Nowhere near as funny as foggy. I'll take my original comments back, Foggy is much better than Hobby. Superb to watch

dick likes this.
  17. Marianna

Marianna Well-Known Member

Juliette Kaplan lived in South Africa until the age of 10, so she probably had to really concentrate just to consistently speak the British received pronunciation that she would have learned in drama school. The West Yorkshire accent is so unique that It's no wonder that early on she sounded unconvincing. It's possible that all those years of chatting with the very local owners of the hotel in Huddersfield where most of the cast lodged, as well as with other local people, helped make the accent easier for her. I stay at that hotel when I'm in Huddersfield, and I have to listen carefully to understand the owners' accent.

Ch74, captain clutterbuck and dick like this.
  18. dick

dick Well-Known Member

A lot of the actor's accents "mellowed" over the years. I think "Pearl" was trying maybe too hard with her Yorkshire accent but it settled eventually.:roflmao:

Ch74 likes this.
  19. Ch74

Ch74 Active Member

Just watching the one when Howard and Pearl enter. Pearl has a very strange accent indeed. Can't believe how young marina looks too but then again it's 30 yrs old

dick and gill like this.
  20. gill

gill Guest

I have to have a firm manner with some member's of the public with my job usually on a weekend but I think i'm quite motherly really.

dick, Ch74 and captain clutterbuck like this.