First of the Summer Wine.

I agree Pearl it was a great show, shame that UK Gold don't pick it up, dust it off and give LOTSW a bit of a rest, controversial I know on here but whilst Auntie has made a fortune during the repeats poor old Smiler is cream crackered pushing the handcart he must have walked from Lands end to John O Groats :oops: ..... and back again . It could do with a break , we aficionados have the box set of DVD's to combat the withdrawal symptoms.

I can't watch on tv, it winds me up to much, the adverts, the editing and most of all the fact they don't very often show the specials, leave it to tv and Seymour and Truly just appear from nowhere!

I've grown to become a big fan of First of the Summer Wine as well and do wish they would have made more. Took me a few episodes to get used to new people playing characters I've been accustomed to by other actors.

The newer, younger actors and actresses did a great job in reprising the roles their characters are based on. Wanted to see them come back from the war and continue on with their lives and adventures up to the time where Last of the Summer Wine series began.

Imagine if FotSW had caught on like LotSW did. Say we got another 25+ years of series out it as well. Goodness, think of all the binge watching that could be done in the name of Summer Wine! :21:

How can Seymour utterthwait be on the show?!
They clearly didn’t know each other when they met on the uncle of the bride episode

Seymour was was 3rd man from 86 to 90. First of the Summer Wine was 88 so it was in the middle of his appearance in Last of, it's true, continuity isn't a concept with Roy Clarke. They didn't know Wesley at first but then it turned out he want to school with them. I think all that hill walking does something to you memory glands, the wind on the hills must blow some memories out of your ear hole.

If they brought that show back, with the same actors, 34 years after it ended, I suppose the show would be somewhere around 1973 - when the original programme began.

Technically they could make new episodes that would complement Series One of LOTSW.

Of course, it wouldn't be the same.

I love FOTSW! I’d like to know what all the songs are in this series. I found some of them, but I can’t find the music that was played at the end of the pilot episode, where they’re at the dance at the church.

I find it interesting how the interior of Norman Clegg’s home gets more comfortable-looking gradually through the two series. Maybe this was meant to show that, with Norman working, probably contributing to the family’s finances, they’re able to improve the place.

There are a couple of minor things that bother me about it, though. There’s one scene where Seymour is behind the wheel of his three-wheeler, wearing his extra-long scarf, and Clegg and Sherbert are behind the vehicle ready to help out by giving it a starting push. Suddenly, these two lads move forward and each grab an end of Seymour’s scarf and stretch it out sideways, making Seymour gag. Now, this could just be me, but if I were Seymour, I’d be pretty mad at them for that! I realize they were “just playing around,” but couldn’t that have easily gone seriously wrong?

The other thing, and it’s minor, was Deborah Norbury’s drastic change in hair color from blonde to dark brown for the second season. It’s a different actress playing her, but I think they should have at least kept her as a blonde. I consider Deborah to be similar in character to her mother, who also had blonde (or at least light brown) hair.

I love FOTSW! I’d like to know what all the songs are in this series. I found some of them, but I can’t find the music that was played at the end of the pilot episode, where they’re at the dance at the church.

I find it interesting how the interior of Norman Clegg’s home gets more comfortable-looking gradually through the two series. Maybe this was meant to show that, with Norman working, probably contributing to the family’s finances, they’re able to improve the place.

There are a couple of minor things that bother me about it, though. There’s one scene where Seymour is behind the wheel of his three-wheeler, wearing his extra-long scarf, and Clegg and Sherbert are behind the vehicle ready to help out by giving it a starting push. Suddenly, these two lads move forward and each grab an end of Seymour’s scarf and stretch it out sideways, making Seymour gag. Now, this could just be me, but if I were Seymour, I’d be pretty mad at them for that! I realize they were “just playing around,” but couldn’t that have easily gone seriously wrong?

The other thing, and it’s minor, was Deborah Norbury’s drastic change in hair color from blonde to dark brown for the second season. It’s a different actress playing her, but I think they should have at least kept her as a blonde. I consider Deborah to be similar in character to her mother, who also had blonde (or at least light brown) hair.
The music sounds like a variant of Goodnight Sweetheart to me

Agree with you on the scarf scene with Seymour. A severe example I remember as a kid in baseball practice long ago. One of the other kids had some really nasty rope burn marks around his throat for weeks. Said he was riding his bicycle with a rope around his neck that got caught on something.

One thing I did find taking a little getting used to in FotSW is the height difference between some of the characters. I realize not much could have been done about it. In FotSW Clegg and Wally seem about the same height and Compo seems slightly taller than both by an inch or so. Were as in LotSW Clegg is taller than Compo by an inch or so and Compo seems an inch or so taller than Wally.

The younger Compo in FotSW reminds me a bit of possibly a younger version of Dave Lister played by Craig Charles in the TV series Red Dwarf. We have a few Red Dwarf fans on here, do you see the similarities as well? His looks and mannerisms especially when he gives a big grin and starts joking around. I get young Compo / young Lister vibes, which is a good thing. I do not mean the young Lister who sang the 'Om' song with the Smeg and the Heads band . ;-)

Rick, the height thing could easily be explained, kids can still be growing until they're 21 the characters were 18 and also diet could be a factor too.
As for the scarf thing, back then my dad and his mates used collect ammunition and swap them so choking someone with a scarf was not a big deal compared to collecting and exchanging live rounds.

Back