Favourite Third Man

Foggy Entwhistle

Who do you think was the best of the Summer Wines third man, up until Truly of the Yard it is easy to list them, after Bill Owens death I've added all the new characters, not sure which ones would be considered as third men. I add Foggy's second stint as I think the character had changed in the six years since he left the show.
I apologise if this topic has been covered before, I tried searching and couldn't find a thread like this.

Very interesting you chose both Foggy eras - there were several minor differences in the character and especially the show itself when (and shortly after) he returned.

Very interesting you chose both Foggy eras - there were several minor differences in the character and especially the show itself when (and shortly after) he returned.

Tough one to vote on. I just love Truly of the Yard and had to pick him. However, I love Foggy too and after recently viewing such classics as Odd Dog Men, I have developed a preference toward the old Foggy than the new.

I do think highly of Seymour, but he just has very high competition.

Not critical as nobody need vote for them but surely Entwistle, Billy, Tom or Alvin were ever "third man"?

I must admit I had to really think about that, putting the Foggy in twice was a nice twist! :)
I voted for Foggy second era, because I found him more mellow the second time round and one of my favourite episodes is Return of the Warrior.

I must admit I had to really think about that, putting the Foggy in twice was a nice twist! :)
I voted for Foggy second era, because I found him more mellow the second time round and one of my favourite episodes is Return of the Warrior.

Followed by the Classic, "Come in Sunray Major"! It was a strong comeback with those two episodes!

Followed by the Classic, "Come in Sunray Major"! It was a strong comeback with those two episodes!

Agree but, as in all these polls, it is an individual choice and I still prefer 1st Foggy, and as also stated Seymour and Truly were good, but it is a strong competition...

Agree but, as in all these polls, it is an individual choice and I still prefer 1st Foggy, and as also stated Seymour and Truly were good, but it is a strong competition...

This is such a tough poll. I traditionally liked Truly the best and am very high on Seymour, but as I watch some of the old Foggy episodes again I really have to ask myself "is Foggy the best afterall"?

Now I have come to a conclusion. Someone else here once stated that (in some people's opinions) the best scripts were during the Truly years. I am one of those and this has always caused me to like Truly the best. But now as I look further, as I prefer the 2000-07 era the most, I now recognize Foggy as the character with the most depth (along with Clegg).

I originally voted for Truly however, after further though- I can only answer "inconclusive"!

Back