Favourite Christmas episode

I do appreciate that somewhere this will have already been covered, but I thought I would just ask other forum members and fellow LOTSW fanatics which is their favourite Christmas episode.

Mine is " Crums " for reasons that I find very difficult to explain.....it reminds me of what Christmas used to be like, it contains the spirit of Christmas ( if I can call it that ) insomuch as Compo, Cleggy and Seymour extend their goodwill to Aunty Wainwright in terms of protecting her from prospective burglars, then there's the party at the end when Nora ( despite her trying to knock Compo's head off most of the time ) knits him a hat as a present.
I also find the scene where Nora and Ivy are talking about ( and obviously missing ) the respective husbands who have passed away very heartwarming.
I could go on, but I still find it hard to eloquently explain my love of this episode....it has it all for me.

I think the Christmas episodes of the 70s and 80s are, on the whole, my favourite episodes of LotSW.

'Small Tune...', 'Crums', 'What's Santa bought for Nora' would all be in my top ten episodes (along with 'A Tale of Two Sweaters', the best of the later Xmas eps).

But for me the best has to be 'Whoops'. It captures the essence of what LotSW does best for me, the three men reliving their childhood, looking back on old times, all wrapped up in Xmas atmosphere. I could rewatch it anytime.

The best xmas special for me between Small Tune and Crums but I can't leave out Whoops so basically all of the early ones. I also like A Short Blast of Fred Astaire and not forgetting And A Dewhurst Up A Fir Tree.

I can't chose one I'm afraid, I really like Uncle of the Bride too which is not really an xmasy one but my very favourite non xmasy one is Getting Sam Home.

Crum's is my fave Christmas episode it makes you feel festive and sets you up for Christmas

It was a Big day at Dream acres , what had Santa brought for Nora then? Out in the woods there was a Leg up for Christmas and Crums there was Fred Astaire and a Dewhirst up a Fir tree. Whoops !! A Short blast on a Penny Wassail and it was a Welcome to Earth for them with only a Loxley Lozenge for the pain. Who brought them down ? Was it a Hitman for Primrose Dairies. :) Crums and Small Tune are my personal favourites.

I do appreciate that somewhere this will have already been covered, but I thought I would just ask other forum members and fellow LOTSW fanatics which is their favourite Christmas episode.

Mine is " Crums " for reasons that I find very difficult to explain.....it reminds me of what Christmas used to be like, it contains the spirit of Christmas ( if I can call it that ) insomuch as Compo, Cleggy and Seymour extend their goodwill to Aunty Wainwright in terms of protecting her from prospective burglars, then there's the party at the end when Nora ( despite her trying to knock Compo's head off most of the time ) knits him a hat as a present.
I also find the scene where Nora and Ivy are talking about ( and obviously missing ) the respective husbands who have passed away very heartwarming.
I could go on, but I still find it hard to eloquently explain my love of this episode....it has it all for me.
Speaking of knitted hats, someone (a fan who knits) knitted that light green hat that Bill Owen as Compo wore for many years. Don't know if it was a Christmas present but obviously much appreciated.

I liked them all but agree about Whoops it was excellent ,the way that Nora and Ivy had their families all suffering a Christmas together and nagging respective husbands to be nice to them.It was good when Sid changed his trousers I bet the relief when boxing day came was wonderful I know I used to feel that way and when it was all over even better .When the lads were sat round the table exchanging presents was good Compos watch episode was good and cheering up their friend in hospital was played to the extreme I miss it all now but thank goodness for Gold.

I still like "Crums" the best. I love the Santa chase at the beginning, the side story about Glenda's waterbed with its post-credits payoff, and the way the characters are shown as the credits roll. I used to only consider it a bit better then "All Mod Conned" but over time "Crums" has taken a clear lead. Part of that was when I found out from Alan Bell's book that "Crums" was originally written as a Foggy/Brian Wilde guest star appearance with Auntie as Foggy's relative. Bell and Wilde both agreed that the original script was one of the few examples of a poor Clarke offering and so Wilde bowed out. So when I watch it now, I find myself fascinated by wondering what Clarke changed, and how it would have gone with Foggy around.

Back