Facing West

cornishman

Junior Jedi
Staff member
The lounge in my home faces west, consequently for the whole morning it is my favourite place to be, the sun is behind the house until past 1400, so the lounge is beautifully cool.
Through the PM though it starts to cook, and by mid-evening it is as though the microwave has been on all day and I MELT!! I have found, with the passing years that I can tolerate (or is that tollerate?) heat less and less. I simply go into some kind of suspended animation, unable to even move.
I park myself in front of my industrial sized fan and vegetate. :32:

Checked out your forecast seeing you are having a heat wave over there. You are doing things right Tony. Our summers in TN run 32 C or 90 F+ most of June, July and August and some of September. I remember one year we hit 104 F(40 C). We have air conditioners over here, I take it that most of you don't. When it is that hot it doesn't work. They tell us that when temperatures are that hot, there is no need to set the thermostat on what some feel comfortable at 73-76F (22-24 C) , all it will do is wear out your system. We set the temp in the house 20 degrees less than what the temperature is to be outside. Meaning when it hits over 100 F , we set it on 82F(27C) to trying to cool down. Drink plenty of water, and if doing anything outside do it early in the AM or wait until late evening. Siesta during the day and pop in a Summer Wine!!! Stay cool my friends. :respect:

The lounge in my home faces west, consequently for the whole morning it is my favourite place to be, the sun is behind the house until past 1400, so the lounge is beautifully cool.
Through the PM though it starts to cook, and by mid-evening it is as though the microwave has been on all day and I MELT!! I have found, with the passing years that I can tolerate (or is that tollerate?) heat less and less. I simply go into some kind of suspended animation, unable to even move.
I park myself in front of my industrial sized fan and vegetate. :32:

Same here, my husband sits here with a blanket on because he says and I quote " Its like a ***** wind tunnel in here woman!!!"

Here in Durham we live in the A/C from June thru sometime
in September, 24-7, set at about 73-74 degrees.

And we have a dehumidifier running as well.

I gave in and had central air conditioning installed at the start of last summer. The combination of my increasing age and hotter summers here in south central upstate New York were making my summers far too unproductive. I keep the thermostat set at 78F during the day because I'm downstairs nearly all of the time and it's naturally cooler than upstairs. At that temperature I don't feel chilly in summer clothing. A few hours before bedtime, I turn the temp down to 74 in order to cool the upstairs rooms down to 78 so I can sleep.

Any outdoor chores or activities have to be limited to early morning. Theoretically, I could do them after dusk as well, but it's awfully buggy then and I hate dousing myself with insect repellent about as much as I hate being bitten.

Marianna

I gave in and had central air conditioning installed

Marianna

WOW, I know it is cooler up there, you have had warm weather the last few years. Glad you did it for your health and comfort.

Living in Cincinnati, I was raised to use open windows and use cross breeze. Now in Mid Tennessee in the AM you will have the heat on to take the chill off and air on in the PM because it is 85F!!

Weather patterns are changing all over the world. Stay cool everyone8)8)

and hotter summers here in south central upstate New York

We lived in Lake Peekskill and then Saugerties back in the 60's
and 70's with NO A/C at all. Some summer nights were so
hot as to make sleep difficult at best. Winters, we could leap
off the front porch roof into a snow drift.

I grew up about ten miles from where I now live, but at a somewhat higher elevation, and we seldom even needed to run a fan. There were a couple of mature shade trees on the south side of the house and awnings on the west windows. The windows were placed in a way that promoted air circulation, so all of the rooms except the kitchen were comfortable. Of course, we spent a lot of every summer freezing vegetables and berries from the garden and canning tree fruits from the pick-it-yourself orchards up along Seneca Lake, so that room was pretty unbearable.

Marianna

Barmpot Towers is on a NW-SE ish line so one side faces north east or possibly ENE and the other south west or possibly WSW: this means morning sun on kitchen and also in the garrett where I type, afternoon sun just about hits the other side. The dungeon window is too low down to really worry about sun - delightfully cool at this time of year!

But the patio area faces SE or SSE so sun all day - a real sun trap and one can sit under the virginia creeper rambling over the pergola and onwards up the walls. Some plants find it a shade too sunny so needs a little care!

Barmpot Towers is on a NW-SE ish line so one side faces north east or possibly ENE and the other south west or possibly WSW: this means morning sun on kitchen and also in the garrett where I type, afternoon sun just about hits the other side. The dungeon window is too low down to really worry about sun - delightfully cool at this time of year!

But the patio area faces SE or SSE so sun all day - a real sun trap and one can sit under the virginia creeper rambling over the pergola and onwards up the walls. Some plants find it a shade too sunny so needs a little care!

Sounds idyllic Barmpot :)

I feel like I'm a pretty hardy soul and I used to spend my lunch hours buzzing around the Mall (the one between the US Capitol and Washington Monument) in all kinds of heat and weather. But recently, when the temperature was in the 90'sF, my husband and I went to the Mall and I faded. Absolutely faded. It was terrible.

I grew up about ten miles from where I now live, but at a somewhat higher elevation, and we seldom even needed to run a fan. There were a couple of mature shade trees on the south side of the house and awnings on the west windows. The windows were placed in a way that promoted air circulation, so all of the rooms except the kitchen were comfortable. Of course, we spent a lot of every summer freezing vegetables and berries from the garden and canning tree fruits from the pick-it-yourself orchards up along Seneca Lake, so that room was pretty unbearable.

Marianna

Sounds like a post that Holly started "being a kid". Sounds like a nice comfortable house, except for kitchen. Are those trees still there on the south side of the house?

Are those trees still there on the south side of the house?

I haven't been up that way in about 30 years, but the satellite map view shows that the trees are still there. The farm is no longer worked and the barns have been converted to an auto body shop. The neighborhood has been turned into an ordinary heavily-populated suburb, not even pleasant to drive through.

Marianna

Back