Episode One

joppyuk1

Dedicated Member
This was on Gold this morning. A number of things stand out. First was the amount of smoking the trio did, with Clegg even lighting up in front of the 'No Smoking' sign in the library. Second, the slowness of the programme compared to later ones. Probably due to the cast having to establish the characters, and maintain most of the programme themselves without a lot of help. Third, in the opening scenes outside Compo and Nora's, I'm sure a young woman appeared from Nora's front door carrying a load of washing and said "Good morning Mr Simmonite" to Compo. Nora didn't actually move away from her washing line during the scene, so perhaps her residence wasn't actually established at that stage. I wonder if we'll see all season one now? Tomorrow will show us.

Third, in the opening scenes outside Compo and Nora's, I'm sure a young woman appeared from Nora's front door carrying a load of washing and said "Good morning Mr Simmonite" to Compo. Nora didn't actually move away from her washing line during the scene, so perhaps her residence wasn't actually established at that stage.

The interior layout of Nora's house as we came to know it later hadn't been established either. Perhaps we were meant to visualize a couple of flats off the hallway just inside the front door, with another one or two up the stairs.

Marianna

I know why they didn't but it would have been good to have it in the first DVD set. It sets out a lot of the characters and is a good introduction.

This has been said many time and will be said many more but Clegg was a completely different character at the beginning to what he became at the end, I have to admit I prefer the earlier Clegg.

I think, as this was the pilot, no one had actually thought which house would be Nora's, partly because she was just a minor character. It was only be Series Two she had an increased role.

I suppose we could turn a blind eye, and pretend the younger lady was helping Nora with her washing, hence why she came out of Nora's house.

By contrast, did you notice there was no exterior shot of the cafe? Don't forget this was the pilot: it was made as a one off. First series followed a year later.

So, how did they get the studio scenery of the cafe to match the real building? The door and window is in the right place, and the scenery outside the door even looks right. I think there is a back drop of the church building.

So I think there must be a cut scene which showed the real exterior of the cafe.

I know why they didn't but it would have been good to have it in the first DVD set. It sets out a lot of the characters and is a good introduction.

Yeah, that bugs me as well. As well as the decision in the early DVD releases to group the Christmas/Holiday specials rather than have them in the order they aired relative to the regular series episodes. For example, Uncle of the Bride is on disk 3 of the set instead of as the first episode of the set to introduce Seymour.

Yeah, that bugs me as well. As well as the decision in the early DVD releases to group the Christmas/Holiday specials rather than have them in the order they aired relative to the regular series episodes. For example, Uncle of the Bride is on disk 3 of the set instead of as the first episode of the set to introduce Seymour.

That bugged me too, its much better with the later releases keeping them in order.

[/QUOTE] Clegg was a completely different character at the beginning to what he became at the end, I have to admit I prefer the earlier Clegg.[/QUOTE]

I do as well, like Clegg a bit more spicy. Not that I didn't love the character throughout the show. I wonder how the characters would have played off each other had he stayed like how he was in earlier seasons. Would there have been more head butting and arguments. Could have been interesting.:39:

Clegg was a completely different character at the beginning to what he became at the end, I have to admit I prefer the earlier Clegg.[/QUOTE]

I do as well, like Clegg a bit more spicy. Not that I didn't love the character throughout the show. I wonder how the characters would have played off each other had he stayed like how he was in earlier seasons. Would there have been more head butting and arguments. Could have been interesting.:39:[/QUOTE]

Although I must say I never get tired of seeing Clegg so fearful of Marina, Auntie, and sometimes the other ladies. Sallis played that exceptionally well.

. Second, the slowness of the programme compared to later ones. Probably due to the cast having to establish the characters, and maintain most of the programme themselves without a lot of help.

I never thought of it that way. I am certainly not one of the experts here, but I always thought the main reason behind the difference paces of the show was the switch from Lotterby to Bell.

Back