End of LOTSW - Am I the only fan who thinks this may be the right decision?

Hello all,
Please believe me, I am not writing this to be controversial. I am a fan of LOTSW - I have loved the show since I was very young and with the help of GOLD I have relived the shows from 1973 onwards. Throughout the decades the show has altered lots but has for the large part been able to remain warm, witty and original. Being only 35 I love many contemporary comedies too (La La Land, IT Crowd, The Thick of It, The inbetweeners etc), and I would rate classic LOTSW as being just as funny and entertaining, just in a different way. However, and here is the problem, can anyone who has actually watched the last few series seriously say that the show is funny anymore? Apart from comforting backdrops and the odd welcoming face from the last few standing "classic" characters, the show no longer offers much in the way of comedy!
I am not saying that the show has never been able to overcome and conquer change, in fact the period of 2000 - 2003 ish produced some of the funniest moments and new characters - eg Billy Hardcastle. However, from the shows I have seen post 2004 ish, I can only say that the quality has deteriorated substantially. This is no reflection on the ability and integrity of the actors or on the writings of the superb Roy Clarke, its just that every show has a shelf life and must eventually come to an end. And folks, we are talking 30 odd years here! To have lasted so long should be something to admire, not get upset over.
The show once produced some quite gritty, dangerous comedy (the early series were often political and adult in nature). Nothing of the sort can be said of the show today. Therefore, surely it is best to let the show rest in peace and celebrate the great success it had been. To keep commissioning new episodes on the basis of it being an institution is not a reason to make a comedy show. Also, people will end up remembering LOTSW for the poor standard it produces today rather than the class act it used to be some years ago.

Sorry, but I cannot agree. It's still a good show and better than the rubbish that the BBC pumps our money into.

Russ Abbott, Burt Kwouk and Brian Murphy have brought a new freshness about it, and despite the fact that some people will compare them to Compo, Cleggy and Foggy, they have given the characters a whole new angle.

Well, I do agree that it doesn´t appeal to me as much as it used to, but if they have to cancel it and don´t want to complete 40 years, they could at least allow a special episode for that and not drop it like a hot potato. And stop fooling cast, crew and viewers by telling it has not been decided yet, but at the same time tell Alan Bell it has, but he mustn´t say a word until August. Nobody knew what was happening until a few days ago, not even the entire cast! This proves in my opinion that it hasn´t been cancelled after thinking about it first, but just been dropped into the dustbin on a whim of the BBC people. Otherwise they would have done it more graceful.
Speaking personally, I don´t think it is that bad that it has to be cancelled, look at the tons of much worse rubbish on TV. I don´t know exactly what is on English TV, but German TV is so bad I scarcely ever watch it. Reality shows, soap operas, things that just shouldn´t be on TV. There are about 3000 shows I would cancel way before LOTSW. Oh, and I´m only 30, too!

Back