Drama ?

onyx(John)

Administrator
Staff member
Would any members describe LOTSW as a drama series? The programme is being shown on the 'Drama' channel 291 described by themselves as a new channel for drama lovers. Strange ??? ???

Re: Drama

Well it's quite clearly a Gentle Comedy. On the other
hand, the last Compo trilogy certainly has elements
of the dramatic. It is really a difficult program to
categorize as there were many elements woven into
each episode.

I'm thinking episodes such as A Quiet Drink, which
certainly has a bit of drama along with the comedy.

Re: Drama

In the US they have the History Channel, The Science Channel, the Travel Channel, etc. However, the stations end up putting on anything despite how unrelated it is, as long as it gets ratings.

Last of the Summer Wine was shown before on (another, I think) drama channel some years ago.

Would any members describe LOTSW as a drama series? The programme is being shown on the 'Drama' channel 291 described by themselves as a new channel for drama lovers. Strange ??? ???
[/quote) Yes strange. Drama has a plot normally, right?
:D

I think it is light drama, which is what I like. Not to heavy if you know what I mean.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if LOTSW was as dramatic as shows got? No blood, violence, sex, foul language, etc. They try to get away with as much as possible these days.

Nancy

I agree Nancy. It is sad that I have to supervise what my kids watch. We have a station here that is called MeTV that only shows G rated shows which all of these shows come from no later than the 60's. I feel safe with that station. Well and of course PBS.

My daughter's school teacher had the kids watch "The Andy Griffith Show" once a week at the end of the day. This show happens to be one of my favorite American shows because of the good values it presents.

She wouldn't watch these "old shows" with me until she was made to watch it at school and then she saw how funny they were.

God bless your daughter's teacher!

I watched "Continental Divide", with John Belushi and Blair Brown. It was rated PG, not PG 13, but PG. I couldn't believe the language used.

My son is 23 and I still tell to be careful what he watches on tv. He watches what he wants, but hopefully he hears my warning whilst watching.

Nancy

There were many good shows up to the early1970's. Remember the Dobbie Gillis show and Giligans Island show what about the Doris Day show. There were many decent shows. Now it is all sex, violence etc. I have watched watching American tv many years ago. I prefer the Brit shows.

MeTV is what we watch while eating dinner on the weekends. "The Rifleman", "Adam 12", "Dragnet", and "That Girl" of some of my favorites. I do have problems with the hour long dramas that I used to love. "The Mod Squad" consists of mostly bad acting and "The Streets of San Francisco" is pretty boring, even with Michael Douglas in a dark turtleneck sweater.

We get Rural TV and watch "The Mary Tyler Moore Show", "Bob Newhart" and "Newhart".

The only way to change current tv trends is to stop watching it. The networks will eventually get the message.

You are very right. When I lived in Canada we had only American shows with a sprinkle of Brit shows. You were able to see the difference. You have to walk away from the telly but what I do is watch my dvd's of Brit shows which I find more interesting. I still love to watch Sweeney and much older comedies

My mom told me of a show she loved which use to be on PBS called "Keeping up Appearances". It is never on PBS. I do not have access to any other British comedies. I wish I did. I also love the fact that the British comedies don't have commercials. I hate commercials. I usually watch shows taped so I don't have to watch them.

You can get shows that are live on FilmOn. com..

They even have britisih soaps.

Back