Doctor Visit (Everyone who was in the shoutbox this morning)

Marina'sTwin

Dedicated Member
Ok, so everyone who was in the shoutbox this morning encouraged me to talk to my mom and see a doctor and they wanted me to let them know how it went. I've been sick with a sore throat, a cough, a runny nose, and a headache for a week. And because I tend to make dumb decisions when I'm sick, I also pierced my tongue last night.

So anyway, after I got offline, I waited for my mom to get out of bed, but she was taking forever and a day, so I went ahead and called the doctor at 8am. They put me down for 10:30, so I went ahead and got dressed and everything. Then my mom finally got up and I told her about everything. She was a little upset that I didn't talk to her sooner because she thought it was just stress from working. ( Summer's the busiest season where I work ) So anyway, she looked at my tongue piercing and it was pretty swollen, so she decided to go to the doctor with me.

So, after waiting forever ( You know how doctor's offices can be ) The doctor was finally able to examine me. It turns out I have an upper respiratory infection, which should clear up in a week or so, but I was also really dehydrated, which was keeping my body from fighting it like it should. Then, he had a look at my tongue piercing and said it wasn't infected, but I needed to switch to a longer barbell until the swelling goes down and I really need to stay hydrated and cut down on the smoking. ( Yeah, I do smoke, A LOT )

So the doctor told my mom to make sure I rest and drink plenty of fluids for the next few days, so that's what I'm gonna do. And when I got home I put a longer barbell in my tongue and it doesn't hurt anymore, so that's taken care of. My mom has also decided to confiscate my keys so I can't go out at night until I get better. I guess it's good that I don't have to work anymore until next weekend, due to some scheduling changes, so I've pretty much got the week to get better. :)

Getting over a respiratory infection isn't a fun way to spend your week off, but in the circumstances it's probably the best use of the time. Rest, take it easy, keep us posted. Glad to hear that the new piercing isn't infected.

Marianna

Getting over a respiratory infection isn't a fun way to spend your week off, but in the circumstances it's probably the best use of the time. Rest, take it easy, keep us posted. Glad to hear that the new piercing isn't infected.

Marianna

I know! LOL It really sucks because I'm not the type of person to sit at home all day. I like to go out and have fun with my friends when I'm not working. But my friends have promised to come over tomorrow and bring food and games and stuff, so we'll have fun even though we won't be going out. :)

I'm proud of you. You did the right thing! Just know your mom cares about you. :)

Just curious - does your primary care doc have office hours on Sundays, or did you go to an urgent care facility? If it was urgent care, was it one of the commercial ones, or one within your PCP's group?

Marianna

My doctor's office is open from 8am to 3pm on Saturdays and Sundays, just so they can take walk-ins and stuff like that. They just started doing the weekend hours a couple of months ago when they got a new doctor. I'm glad they did, though because when people get sick, they need to see someone who already has their records and stuff on file. They really want people to make appointments for weekdays, but they decided to see me today since I mentioned the tongue piercing.

Seeing your actual doctor is a good idea. A few years ago, I was suffering from something and saw an after hours doctor three times in one week. The last time I was in, I had also developed petechia (ankle rash) which was very serious and I ended up in the hospital. In addition to drinking plenty of fluids and resting, try to have a banana at least once a day for the potassium.

In addition to drinking plenty of fluids and resting, try to have a banana at least once a day for the potassium.

I'm actually allergic to bananas. LOL I think oranges have potassium though, so thanks for the tip. Potassium will probably do me some good. :)

At the end of the day what you do with your body is your concern,but in the same light if you treat it bad then it will repay you either now or in the future

No doubt smoking will either cripple or kill you,I was a smoker and did not stop until later in life,I found it hard to stop but very glad I did

Re the tongue piercing I know young people that have done this a few years back, one was always getting infections,others deeply regret doing it as over several years it has damaged their front teeth,one is under 30 and had to have false front teeth

I am not having a go at you, as a old barmpot just pointing out a few facts that I hope you will consider for your health

Terry

At the end of the day what you do with your body is your concern,but in the same light if you treat it bad then it will repay you either now or in the future

No doubt smoking will either cripple or kill you,I was a smoker and did not stop until later in life,I found it hard to stop but very glad I did

Re the tongue piercing I know young people that have done this a few years back, one was always getting infections,others deeply regret doing it as over several years it has damaged their front teeth,one is under 30 and had to have false front teeth

I am not having a go at you, as a old barmpot just pointing out a few facts that I hope you will consider for your health

Terry

LOL No problem. I know smoking is bad and I plan to quit someday, just not right now. And as for the piercing, I've had several piercings and when they started to get on my nerves, I just took them out. I'll probably take my tongue ring out in a few months.

And I wanna let everyone know that I have noticed some improvement since yesterday. ;D For one thing, I'm not feeling as weak as I was yesterday. Probably because I'm actually resting and drinking plenty of fluids and eating more. I still have that annoying cough and my throat is still pretty irritated, but I'm sure if I just continue to do what I'm doing, I'll be better in a few days. :)

Terry

Holly, glad you are feeling better. Be sure to finish out the antibiotics, even though you are feeling better. I have a daughter that will be 21 next month, she too has the piercings, and has had a few infections, sure it is just a phase you young ones go thru, just don't abuse the body too much. God gave you one! Just looking after our kids!!!!!

:wink::wink:

I know from experience how difficult it is to break a nicotine addiction, but it's well worth the misery and effort. Just keep in mind how John Comer and Gordon Wharmby were missed when they had to be written out of Summer Wine because they were dying of lung cancer. John Comer was only 59 years old and Gordon Wharmby was a very young 68. Both were heavy smokers and each died long before his time.

Marianna

I know from experience how difficult it is to break a nicotine addiction, but it's well worth the misery and effort. Just keep in mind how John Comer and Gordon Wharmby were missed when they had to be written out of Summer Wine because they were dying of lung cancer. John Comer was only 59 years old and Gordon Wharmby was a very young 68. Both were heavy smokers and each died long before his time.

Marianna

I know Terry has also made the point and I too smoked when younger: it was what was done. I recall when leaving one health service appointment on promotion in the 1970s I was given a desk cigarette lighter for my new office!??????:confused::confused:

I just decided to stop about 32 years ago - cigarettes first, then the pipe then the cigars. But not an easy option and I am not sure whether these new e cigarette really help or hinder.:41::41:

So glad to hear things are improving a bit for you, keep it up, you will soon be leaping around like a spring lamb.

I was a smoker also, but quit when I had my children. Then when my work sent me 500 miles away from home for 6 months a few years back I started again , but not for long (4 months). Now I am trying to get off the e- cigarettes!!!! Are they as popular over in Europe like they are here in the States?

Thanks for all the encouraging posts, everybody! :) I have cut back with my smoking a little because I don't want to make my situation worse. I will eventually quit, but I'll have to do it gradually and cutting back is a good way to start working on it. I'll keep everyone posted, but right now, I'm getting ready to go to bed. It's almost 11pm here, so that's really early for me, but I do need to continue to get enough rest. :)

I was a smoker also, but quit when I had my children. Then when my work sent me 500 miles away from home for 6 months a few years back I started again , but not for long (4 months). Now I am trying to get off the e- cigarettes!!!! Are they as popular over in Europe like they are here in the States?

Not sure how popular the e-ciggy is here in the UK,but I see they are now going to regulate them, which means they will then stick a tax on them

Quite a few outlets have sprung up to sell e cigarettes, how busy they are I am not sure. Not sure if the e cig still allow you to have some chemicals and remove the worse ones. I have a sneaking feeling that they could keep you hooked on nicotine so you could go back to regular cigs if the e ones were unavailable.

I have an e cig, but I don't really like using it because it's heavier at the top, so I tend to drop it a lot. That's not a huge problem, but I feel really stupid picking up an e cig, when I can just use a real cigarette and not drop it until I'm done with it.

Back