Disappearing Chocolate bars

Nestle have announced they are axing the Breakaway bar. What is your favourite or what would you like to be bought back
Chocolate is chocolate, right? So what was so amazing about the Breakaway Bar? And why would Nestle axe it? Is it like a Kit Kat?

Chocolate is chocolate, right? So what was so amazing about the Breakaway Bar? And why would Nestle axe it? Is it like a Kit Kat?
Sorry Adanor but Chocolate most definitely IS NOT just Chocolate.

This is all a matter of taste, so no offence meant here but American chocolate is FOUL! I mean that quite literally, it has a chemical in it which is responsible for the smell of vomit! (don't believe me....look it up!!!) This makes it have completely different taste and one which if you didn't grow up with it makes it taste FOUL!! and yes I mean HERSHEY! (and most others)

To ME DARK chocolate is also foul! I know a lot of people disagree, including my son, but I find it almost inedible.

Milk chocolate for me...preferably Cadburys but like others as well!

They say that Swiss & Belgian chocolate is the best in the world, but I'm with Brian, Cadburys beats all these much more expensive varieties. I agree that I find American chocolate horrible too. That again is no offense to my friends that side of the pond and if I'd been brought up on US chocolate I'd possibly love that and hate the taste of UK chocolate bars.

I'd be interested to see if any of our US friends have tried Cadbury chocolate and what they think of it?

Cadbury here has a factory in Tasmania so I am not sure if this was a world wide thing, but on Ferret's comment about the taste, I know that a few years ago the bean counters got their hands on things.
They decided that a "Glass and a half" was costing too much so they replaced a lot of the milk with Palm Oil. It didn't go down well with customers and despite the tame voices saying that it hadn't changed the taste THEY LIED!!! AND they got caught out and so had to reverse that system!

Now for Chocolate bars that have disappeared.....Ummmmmm off the top of my head can't think of one right now but we tend to have some different chocolate bars to that of the UK, or it could be we have different names for some. MOST of the ones I have seen from the UK ARE available here. Our problem is that chocolate is usually found in fridges or at least cooler boxes (whatever you call them) here because if they aren't,
5 minutes after leaving the shop you have chocolate sauce!

43C+ for last couple of days here, you can literally fry eggs on any outdoor surface, Chocolate............:confused2:

I find milk chocolate much too sweet. Dark chocolate for me every time! Not too dark, though. There’s a limit to how much bitterness tastes good to me.

Ghirardelli’s 72% cacao is perfect. Just sniffing the air in their neighborhood in San Francisco used to set off a craving for it.

Last edited:
I’ll look for it if I’m ever able to travel to England again. I’m sure it’s imported to the USA, but I’d like the excuse to travel!
Love it, when your friends ask you why you're traveling to the UK you can say to buy a Bournville chocolate bar :D

Not sure if these are available outside Ireland. They are my go to chocolate bar, and being the greedy gannet that I am I always buy one of each.Screenshot 2024-02-10 6.08.58 PM.png

Back