Defrosting

dick

LOTSW Fanatic
I understand ( possibly wrongly) that frozen bits of ice in ready meals and frozen fish etc means that at some point the packets have started defrosting and then re-frozen .Can anyone put me right on this please. It has happened with both stored and new bought packets. :confused: :confused: :hungry:

For fish, contact the fish monger or store where the fish was purchased. Need to be careful with fish. Also check the expiration date. For ready-to-eat meals, also check with the store where it was purchased and the expiration date. Maybe the store is not aware of this problem. If they don't seem to care, shop someplace else.

I understand ( possibly wrongly) that frozen bits of ice in ready meals and frozen fish etc means that at some point the packets have started defrosting and then re-frozen .Can anyone put me right on this please. It has happened with both stored and new bought packets. :confused: :confused: :hungry:

I have wondered that myself Dick. I just opened a new ice cream, and around the box there are little shards of ice, I was wondering if it to had started to melt and refroze causing the ice.!! I want iced cream , not ice ice!:02:

Sometimes if you email the manufacture, they will not only answer your question, but send you coupons for free items. :37:

Have you got an old freezer Dick?
If so may be time for a new one. Check that its not defrosting itself. Be very careful with meat.

My freezer is just about 1 year old petal. ;) I asked the question because I read and hear various things and then start to wonder if I am doing it right (whatever it is :13: ) Incidentally I am careful with all frozen foods, I tend to "ding" for an extra few minutes and oven cook the same. Thank you for your concern for my health and welfare :28: :respect:

My freezer is just about 1 year old petal. ;) I asked the question because I read and hear various things and then start to wonder if I am doing it right (whatever it is :13: ) Incidentally I am careful with all frozen foods, I tend to "ding" for an extra few minutes and oven cook the same. Thank you for your concern for my health and welfare :28: :respect:

When buying frozen food don't faff about getting it home, always go straight home and bung it in the freezer. When I worked for the pie factory I had a food hygiene lecture and if that doesn't scare the hell out of you nothing will!!

When buying frozen food don't faff about getting it home, always go straight home and bung it in the freezer. When I worked for the pie factory I had a food hygiene lecture and if that doesn't scare the hell out of you nothing will!!

An insulated shopping bag with a zip-closed top helps too. I use one even though it takes me only about ten minutes to drive home from the grocery store.

Marianna

I do not concur the defrosting and refrozen in all cases. I go along with the following:

Why Ice Crystals Form

The most common reason large ice crystals form in your frozen food is slow, uneven freezing. Ice crystals do not form during more rapid freezing because the food molecules cannot form a six-sided snowflake before the freeze is complete. Slower freezing results in larger, less-manageable ice crystals that cause damage to the food. In the case of fresh fruits and vegetables, ice crystals can form because you have not dried the produce completely. This extra water on the surfaces of the fruits and vegetables eventually leads to a mushier product.

Preventing Ice Crystal Formation

You don't want to go to all of the trouble of freezing food just to end up with a mushy mess. Prevent large ice crystals from forming by taking the following steps: Encourage food to freeze rapidly. If your freezer has a quick freeze shelf, use it for items you wish to freeze. Never stack items you wish to freeze, instead distribute them throughout your freezer to allow for more uniform freezing. When the items have frozen solid, you can move them around and stack them as you wish. Dry fresh foods thoroughly before freezing. If you are freezing strawberries or green beans from your garden, it is important to be sure they are completely dry to avoid ice crystal formation. Keep your freezer at or below a temperature of 0 degrees Fahrenheit if possible, as lower temperatures keep frozen foods more stable.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/info_8119164_causes-ice-crystals-frozen-food.html

I do not concur the defrosting and refrozen in all cases. I go along with the following:

Why Ice Crystals Form

The most common reason large ice crystals form in your frozen food is slow, uneven freezing. Ice crystals do not form during more rapid freezing because the food molecules cannot form a six-sided snowflake before the freeze is complete. Slower freezing results in larger, less-manageable ice crystals that cause damage to the food. In the case of fresh fruits and vegetables, ice crystals can form because you have not dried the produce completely. This extra water on the surfaces of the fruits and vegetables eventually leads to a mushier product.

Preventing Ice Crystal Formation

You don't want to go to all of the trouble of freezing food just to end up with a mushy mess. Prevent large ice crystals from forming by taking the following steps: Encourage food to freeze rapidly. If your freezer has a quick freeze shelf, use it for items you wish to freeze. Never stack items you wish to freeze, instead distribute them throughout your freezer to allow for more uniform freezing. When the items have frozen solid, you can move them around and stack them as you wish. Dry fresh foods thoroughly before freezing. If you are freezing strawberries or green beans from your garden, it is important to be sure they are completely dry to avoid ice crystal formation. Keep your freezer at or below a temperature of 0 degrees Fahrenheit if possible, as lower temperatures keep frozen foods more stable.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/info_8119164_causes-ice-crystals-frozen-food.html

Interesting point UNC but my examples are all professionally frozen. Are they not the people who would know about rapid freeze etc??

Interesting point UNC but my examples are all professionally frozen. Are they not the people who would know about rapid freeze etc??

Yes, indeed, they should be. And, in general their freezers will be set to very low temperatures. BUT, big but, they can be inclined for commercial reasons, to overload with excessive quantity input at any one time. Big factor is reputation of the original company supplying the frozen food.

Back