Cycling on the pavement!!

dick

LOTSW Fanatic
Having walked to the local chippy to fetch some lunch , I had n't realised how much I risked injury on the pavement. :13: I was walking back when a chap walking toward me was sent flying by a teenage cyclist who had apparently no , or very little brakes! The guy picked himself up but by this time the cyclist was long gone yelling something unintelligible at the man! This once again prompts the question ""What ever happened to the bicycle bell??" :30:

Having walked to the local chippy to fetch some lunch , I had n't realised how much I risked injury on the pavement. :13: I was walking back when a chap walking toward me was sent flying by a teenage cyclist who had apparently no , or very little brakes! The guy picked himself up but by this time the cyclist was long gone yelling something unintelligible at the man! This once again prompts the question ""What ever happened to the bicycle bell??" :30:

What was the rider doing on the pavement (US - sidewalk) in the first place? Riding on the sidewalk is only for very small children! It's been decades since I've heard or seen a bicycle bell here in the States. Wish they were required. There's a very nice walking and cycling path running behind my house, but walkers are well-advised to keep to the edge and frequently check behind them for cyclists. The darned things are way too quiet for safety.

Marianna

Its supposed to be illegal to cycle on the pavement but mobility scooters are just as bad, there was a child run over by a lunatic in one of those a few months back just up the road, she actually ran right over the child's torso leaving her in hospital with internal injuries and the cheeky ***** had the nerve to shout back at the mother for not watching the child. There needs to be more cycle lanes but would they get used?

We seem to have everything on the pavement these days except pedestrians . I don't want this to develop into a rant but we even have adults on mobility scooters(???) on the pavements with pet dogs running alongside them on leads! The number of adults that seem to think it's a right to cycle on the pavement is increasing, add those to the cars parked half on and half off the pavement and you will see my point.

We seem to have everything on the pavement these days except pedestrians . I don't want this to develop into a rant but we even have adults on mobility scooters(???) on the pavements with pet dogs running alongside them on leads! The number of adults that seem to think it's a right to cycle on the pavement is increasing, add those to the cars parked half on and half off the pavement and you will see my point.

Theres one round here "Walks" the dog like that, sometimes its sitting on scooter with her.

And there are a couple that walk the dog whilst riding a bike then there's the woman who "walks" the dog thats sitting in a pushchair the list goes on.

A couple of years ago there was a bloke round here that used to walk his cat on lead!! Now that was funny !

Theres one round here "Walks" the dog like that, sometimes its sitting on scooter with her.

And there are a couple that walk the dog whilst riding a bike then there's the woman who "walks" the dog thats sitting in a pushchair the list goes on.

A couple of years ago there was a bloke round here that used to walk his cat on lead!! Now that was funny !

Years ago a young girl in the next town did an "Eli" and walked her pet lamb downtown! ;D ;D

What was the rider doing on the pavement (US - sidewalk) in the first place?

Right On!! We just got in from a ride on our Santana Tandem
and we road the roads all the way. No pavement!! And trails
are too narrow for a tandem as well. We ride on the right (US)
and obey ALL traffic controls, including stop signs (well, we
actually just slow way way down rather than fall over).

I am afraid its like a lot of laws in this country they are NOT enforced. Until we get all cycles and mobility scooters insured we will not have a leg to stand on literally.:unhappy::unhappy:

It does annoy me. I don't mind if its small children but if its an adult. Grrr. No reason for it at all.

Are cyclist suppose to be on the road in GB like here in the states. Obeying all traffic laws? Does it have to take someone to push the envelope and sue someone like the little girl that Pearl was talking about? They probably still will not get the message and get off the pavement.

They are supposed on the road or the cycle lane but many don't take any notice. It gives good cyclists a bad name.

I suppose the big cities have cycle lanes. None around here. I would love to see them more, and may ride more, I don't trust the drivers around here. A bit dangerous. Of course when it is brought up, there is never any money in the budget! Never ending story.

Where I am, Cambridge UK is known as cycle city ... they are everywhere ... on the pavement / sidewalks! Long queues of students cycling in a row, going through red lights, not using any hand signals ... argh ...

They are allowed to cycle in the bus lane but they often travel side by side speaking with one another in a leisurely manner while the poor bus idles behind ...

sigh

Where I am, Cambridge UK is known as cycle city ... they are everywhere ... on the pavement / sidewalks! Long queues of students cycling in a row, going through red lights, not using any hand signals ... argh ...

They are allowed to cycle in the bus lane but they often travel side by side speaking with one another in a leisurely manner while the poor bus idles behind ...

sigh

That sounds awful Howlett! The side by side cyclist would drive me crazy!:13: A gentle boot with the bumper! (sorry bit rough)

Are cyclist suppose to be on the road in GB like here in the states.

Gotta say, we go over to the UK (mostly Yorkshire) pretty much
every Spring (once in a while in the Fall) and I cannot remember
seeing a cyclist (except for really little kids) anywhere but on
the roads. Never on the sidewalk (pavement). And those that
we see are really good riders!

On the other hand, as much as we do ride the tandem here in
North Carolina, I would/could never ride a bike on Yorkshire
Dales roads, which are soooo narrow as to NOT have room
for a white center line. Looks scary to me. Even in the Holme
Valley, I prefer to hike from pub to pub.

Thats another sore point. Drunken cyclists. I have a friend who used to fall off his bike very regular at about 10.45 in the evening. He now has a mobility scooter. A bit erratic but he has not fallen off. YET.

That sounds awful Howlett! The side by side cyclist would drive me crazy!:13: A gentle boot with the bumper! (sorry bit rough)

When I first started cycling(over 50 years ago!) you had two choices with any cars that passed you. Either they would pass on the far side of the road ,almost on the far pavement , or brush your coat as they went by! A friend of mine nearly went into a bridge parapet because a car caught his coat ! :12: :30: :12:

When I first started cycling(over 50 years ago!) you had two choices with any cars that passed you. Either they would pass on the far side of the road ,almost on the far pavement , or brush your coat as they went by! A friend of mine nearly went into a bridge parapet because a car caught his coat ! :12: :30: :12:

Twenty years ago when I was still cycling, drivers liked to quietly come up almost to the back wheel of the bike and then lean on the horn in the hope of startling the rider so badly as to make him or her fall off. Then they'd drive away laughing.

Marianna

Twenty years ago when I was still cycling

Come On Marianne!! Get back on yer bike??

Perhaps it's because there are two of us, and that we have a
tandem to share the ride, but we are in our 70's and still
riding regularly. No, we are not doing 50-milers at 25 mph
these days, but we do get out several days a week. Knees
are wearing a bit, but we might just make it to the end.

Back