Compo's clothes

minxie

Dedicated Member
What would have happened to Compo's clothes once he had passed.
Would they have been preserved do you think. It would be a shame if they just 'disappeared'

Knowing how the Beeb works they were probably disposed of very quickly he used to have a new outfit every series the jacket was purchased from an upmarket tailors and then distressed !

I didn't know about Compo but I think Peter Sallis used an old jacket of his own for Clegg until it fell apart !!

In one of the documentaries Sallis says the BBC commissioned replacement suits to match the original (at considerable expense) so those might theoretically still be around. And I know there was (and maybe still is) a show museum in the apartment that was Compo's house that operated from before Bill Owen's death and had quite a few prop items, including, presumably, Compo outfit items.

Knowing how the Beeb works they were probably disposed of very quickly he used to have a new outfit every series the jacket was purchased from an upmarket tailors and then distressed !

Surely its the same with all tv companies? Why would they save anything from any TV series? The archive of saved things would be massive and cost a lot to preserve. I mean, wouldn't it be nice if they still had the set of Steptoe and Son, Dads Army or all those other historically important milestone programmes from the 50's to 70's? Nice, but impossible to do. Some things probably will get saved and become archived, memorabilia or end up in the hands of fans or a museum of sorts, but for the most part I would have thought it was not possible to save things due to space and cost.

Occasionally they do come up with a historical gem. Ronnie Corbett was recently reacquainted with the original chair that he told his jokes from. So some things do obviously survive the years.

I did come across this. The BBC do it seems occasionally auction things off, including LOTSW apparently.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/2046183.stm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ps-costumes-furniture-popular-programmes.html

Someone should have snatched up Compo's jacket and cap and Cleggy's suit and flat cap and stuck them in a museum!! Surely that's a no brainer!!

Are none of these in the small museum by Nora's home??

Think it's called the Last of The Summer Wine Exhibition
and Gift Shop in Holmfirth???

I thought the jacket Compo wore in the 1970s episodes was on display at the museum Ciaffone mentions.

Compos jacket, Long Johns and wellies are in the exhibition in Holmfirth. No idea where his trademark woolly hat is.

I suppose we could enquire to the bbc about the destiny of compo's clothes....but I wouldn't hold my breath :( :(

The clothes were kept from one series to another - and when especially made they often had three of each item as often one might be worn by the stand in. However this did not necessarily happen in the earlier episodes - Blamire's raincoat was single breasted in the pilot and double breasted in series 1 and 2.

Sets would be made each time.

This was from 2009, some of Foggy's clothes were sold on Ebay for charity at the request of his wife.

"The trademark outfit worn by character Foggy from Last of The Summer Wine is being put up for auction on eBay to raise charity cash."

"After Brian's death, Eva asked the BBC for his Last Of The Summer Wine costume so they could auction it off for charity. It's what Brian would have wanted and is a wonderful gesture."

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co....mer-wine-clothes-to-be-sold-on-ebay-1-2233053

It was 2009 so remember you can't bid! Some LOTSW fan, collector or museum must have it.

Back