Compo's Bedroom

maltrab

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure if this has been discussed before, but in any episode where Compo is in his bedroom, it is upstairs, yet in the special "All Mod Conned" the conversation when Foggy and Cleggy go around to collect Compo, they infer he is still in his bedroom downstairs

I do wonder for safety and filming concerns for that episode they decided no-one will notice if they move the bedroom downstairs

I've always accepted that he was sorting his ferrets out in that room.:confused2: I will have to watch more closely next time Terry.! :sleep:

I've noticed that issue as well. I'm not sure what the reason was, as they could have had Compo simply organizing his ferrets in the kitchen. I guess it is a better joke to have Foggy worried that Compo has just gotten up, though.

In general continuity on things like that was never great. Compose kitchen/living area varies a fair amount. Exactly where Sid and Ivy live also varies, etc.

It's certainly a bad piece of continuity.

Of course, soon after this a regular part of the series were the morning scenes where Nora would be outside and Compo would be at his (upstairs) bedroom window.

Because in real life Compo's home doesn't appear to have an upstairs window, clever camera work meant Compo would talk through a different window, to make it look like he was talking through his own upstairs window.

This problem probably explains the problem faced in All Mod Conned.

It's certainly a bad piece of continuity.

Of course, soon after this a regular part of the series were the morning scenes where Nora would be outside and Compo would be at his (upstairs) bedroom window.

Because in real life Compo's home doesn't appear to have an upstairs window, clever camera work meant Compo would talk through a different window, to make it look like he was talking through his own upstairs window.

This problem probably explains the problem faced in All Mod Conned.

The odd thing is when I visited Nora's house a few years back, to my surprise the upstairs rooms do spread over the top of the wrinkled stocking, so the bedroom window they used for Compo was in fact in Nora's house

The odd thing is when I visited Nora's house a few years back, to my surprise the upstairs rooms do spread over the top of the wrinkled stocking, so the bedroom window they used for Compo was in fact in Nora's house

I'm not sure that is correct. At least, that is not what Bell said in his book. He said they used an upstairs window in the back of one of the shops at the end of the building that faces the street. It wasnt a window that was anywhere close to Nora's house.

Perhaps there is an underdwelling so higher floors do not necessarily match the lower ones. Common in Hebden Bridge and a few other palces but a legal minefield.

Could be an underdwelling, legal minefield. Means the windows above may be a totally different dwelling - common in Hebden Bridge.

There was a thread here about this maybe a couple of years ago. Between that and Alan Bell's book, I was left with the impression that the actual window was in the building just behind the Fair Trader, so only a few yards along from the bridge. Alan Bell said that they would hold Nora's brush up to ensure that Bill Owen was focusing on the right spot while he leaned out the window to talk to Nora, and when Kathy Staff was talking she would focus on the empty window that we're meant to believe was Compo's bedroom.

I'm not sure that is correct. At least, that is not what Bell said in his book. He said they used an upstairs window in the back of one of the shops at the end of the building that faces the street. It wasnt a window that was anywhere close to Nora's house.

I am going on what the camera man Pat told me a few years back, he pointed out the window above the wrinkled stocking, which I assumed was part of the same property, it was only when I went inside Nora's house that I realised it was a odd shape and spanned over the wrinkled stocking

I am going on what the camera man Pat told me a few years back, he pointed out the window above the wrinkled stocking, which I assumed was part of the same property, it was only when I went inside Nora's house that I realised it was a odd shape and spanned over the wrinkled stocking

Next time I watch an episode where Compo is leaning out the window and the shot is wide enough to see the layout of the drain pipes on the wall next to the window, I'll note how far the scene is into the episode. Later, I'll pop the disc into the region 2 disc drive that's plugged into my computer and take a screen shot of that frame to save on my phone. That way I'll have it while I'm in Holmfirth in September and can use it as reference when I look at that wall. I'm sure it'll turn out to be the window that the cameraman pointed out to you, but I need to see it for myself.

The Wrinkled Stocking is oddly laid out, too. I've never been in it, but I just stood the little Google Earth man on the orange spot on its roof in order to drop into the building. The main room goes straight through to Huddersfield road, but there's a room through the party wall, so in the next building, that appears to be over the lower level of the exhibition. Its window is on the Scarfold side. There's also a stairway passing through the same wall, but I can't tell if it turns back through the wall to land over the main room or if it lands in the next building, possibly over the upper floor of the exhibition.

I'll have to have several meals (or cups of tea) there, aiming to be seated in a different room each time in order to figure out the layout.

This business of rooms going over next doors is called a flying freehold according to Homes Under The Hamme,r can be tricky for people.

That is the term I was thinking of - happened a lot in steep sided valleys - such as around Homfirth and Calder Valley. But also known as underdwelligns or over dwelligns in the vernacular.

Typically where one side of the building can have as many as five floors and the other just two, sometimes complicated with one dwelling spreading out sideways above the adjacent one but not on all foors. Lot of such have become more regularised - easier legally or demolished.

However the actual filming totally rewrote the rules! As Terry has pointed out.

But this mixed up approach could mean that your bedroom might be next to someone's kitchen depending on which side of the building your house was approached.

From what I've read, the same window was not used in all episodes. Some, especially later ones, were down near the end of the road as Marianna said, but other times they used other windows in the building. The drainage pipes do not match in all the episodes.

Whichever window it is I cannot see Ronnie Hazelhurst using the Hollies "Look Through Any Window " as incidental music for any scene .

Look Through any Window yeah
What do you see
Smiling faces all around ??? Nora Batty , I think not. :)

In that vein Captain, they could have used "the square window" from Play School ! :08::rolling:

From what I've read, the same window was not used in all episodes. Some, especially later ones, were down near the end of the road as Marianna said, but other times they used other windows in the building. The drainage pipes do not match in all the episodes.

Perhaps they had the builders in!!

Norah had a new bathroom?

Back