Classical music.

I'm a traditionalist, I enjoy a little of Beethoven, especially his violin concerto in D (Opus 61) performed by Herman Krebbers / Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra.
Mozart provided some particularly wonderful Divertimentii (Divertimento's??), (his little party pieces) Eine Kleine Nachtmusik is one of them.
(The Academy of St Martins in the Field produced an entire (5 CD) collection, brilliant.)

I prefer the early baroque / late gothic but NOT romantic (Strauss :p )

Sorry, but we be totally into Jazz (and maybe a bit of blues).

Really love Miles, Trane, Bird, and Diz!!!

I love The Pearl Fishers and /or Il Traviatore (traviata).I also like Die Walkurie (although being a fan of Bugs Bunny et al, I have to admit occasionally humming along in my mind"" Kill the Wabbit Kill the Wabbit :-[ :-[ :me: )

I work a lot of nights Amos,and in my Ambulance car on nights I always have Classic FM on,not in the day because the music can be too loud and booming and fast,but at night they play some beautiful music that is very soothing and helps me to relax and unwind,sometimes a piece is so nice I note what it is and add it to my mp3 player on my phone,the last time I did this was just a few days ago,for a lovely relaxing piece called A Downland Suite III Minuet by the English String Orchestra,sometimes I hear lovely classical music other ways,did you see the wonderful ceremony from Westminster on 4th August,it was live on the BBC,it commemorated 100 years to the minute when the First World War started,and the "Lights went out all over Europe",as they were putting out the last candle,a violinist and organist played The Lark Ascending and it was beautiful,and I downloaded that too

I also love classical music, and am listening to the local classical radio station right now. I think my all-time favorite piece is Tchaikovsky's Serenade for Strings, which for some reason really touches me deeply. I'm glad to see there are other classical lovers on here!

I'm a choral singer, so I'm more familiar with that repertoire than with instrumental music. My favorite composer for both, though, is Elgar. For choral music in particular, at the moment I'm leaning toward Haydn, although really my favorite composer is whoever the chorus is currently rehearsing. Right now it's Mozart's Requiem.

Marianna

I am not a guru, but do not mind listening to some soft instrumental, when I lived alone before I was married. I am not versed well enough to know the difference between composers, but appreciate the music. On Sunday mornings before I attended church I would listen to a jazz station and have breakfast with a woman across the hall from me in my apt. I am a listener of mostly 60's and 70's rock. Some of the best coming from England!

I am very fond of classical music; my car radio is always tuned to classical music and I am very glad that when I was in my high school band that we played a lot of classical music such as Capriccio Italien.

I listen to it every evening if not more often. Sit in bed with it on and a book in my lap. Cats at the foot of the bed and I am in heaven. Reading Churchill's HESP right now and somehow I am able to enjoy both.

I work a lot of nights Amos,and in my Ambulance car on nights I always have Classic FM on,not in the day because the music can be too loud and booming and fast,but at night they play some beautiful music that is very soothing and helps me to relax and unwind,sometimes a piece is so nice I note what it is and add it to my mp3 player on my phone,the last time I did this was just a few days ago,for a lovely relaxing piece called A Downland Suite III Minuet by the English String Orchestra,sometimes I hear lovely classical music other ways,did you see the wonderful ceremony from Westminster on 4th August,it was live on the BBC,it commemorated 100 years to the minute when the First World War started,and the "Lights went out all over Europe",as they were putting out the last candle,a violinist and organist played The Lark Ascending and it was beautiful,and I downloaded that too

Yes and we get the broadcast of The PROMS.

I quite like music from movie soundtracks such as Star Wars and Things like that which are by The London Symphony Orchestra and conducted by The Likes of John Williams. These count in a roundabout way. My favourite though is The Planets Suite by Gustav Holst.

Now I will show my age......... Does anyone like the piece " The Devils Gallop" ?? I've loved it since I was a schoolboy in 1950 /51 when it was the intro music to DICK BARTON SPECIAL AGENT! on the radio. I got to listen to the show and soon as it was done I was packed off to bed.:25: That was at 7-00 pm (See them doing that these days ;))

Now I will show my age......... Does anyone like the piece " The Devils Gallop" ?? I've loved it since I was a schoolboy in 1950 /51 when it was the intro music to DICK BARTON SPECIAL AGENT! on the radio. I got to listen to the show and soon as it was done I was packed off to bed.:25: That was at 7-00 pm (See them doing that these days ;))

omigosh, Dick, I just looked it up .. that is fabulous . . that music would be playing as the villain chases you in your dream .. er, nightmare. and then I caught The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain doing it. Thanks for the tip.

Sorry, but we be totally into Jazz (and maybe a bit of blues).

Really love Miles, Trane, Bird, and Diz!!!

As in Davis, John, Charlie and Gillespie?

Have you been sneaking a look at some of my CD collection? Also includes Brubeck, Tatum and Hawkins and more .....

Yes I have that on a CD somewhere ...

I am not a guru, but do not mind listening to some soft instrumental, when I lived alone before I was married. I am not versed well enough to know the difference between composers, but appreciate the music. On Sunday mornings before I attended church I would listen to a jazz station and have breakfast with a woman across the hall from me in my apt. I am a listener of mostly 60's and 70's rock. Some of the best coming from England!

I am a lot like Brenda in regards to my knowledge of classical music, but I do enjoy it on a stressful day or when I am by myself. I am a big rock and roll fan of the 70's. , but have found I can like the blues and jazz as well.

Last edited:
I like mostly all types of music. Not much on country music though, too depressing.
What realty gets me moving is a good Polka. I know I might get some flack about liking polka music, but it dates back to my childhood and my uncles playing their accordions at our family reunions.
I can remember everyone out in the middle of the yard, dancing and such.
Good memories, brings a smile to my face when I hear a polka.

Have you been sneaking a look at some of my CD collection?

Yep, we also gottem on CD, but also on tape and (hey hey!) on about
8 feet of vinyl in good condition. We listen to a record pretty much
every evening at dinner.

However, here in Durham NC we have pretty much the all-time
best jazz FM station in the world -- WNCU 90.7 out of North Carolina
Central University that has it's own great bands. So all we need do
is turn on the radio and there it is. Can even listen online!!

I have revamped this thread as I have just watched the John Wilson Orchestra performing the works of George and Ira Gershwin on tonight's prom wondered if anyone else watched it and enjoyed it as much as I did what a fantastic performance from start to finish .

Back