Cheese

I like cheese too, I love 5 counties and Orkney cheese is lovely but we can't get it down here :(

We really prefer white Cheddars, the older and stronger
the better. We love Somerset cheddars, and we also like
the whole range of American Cabot cheeses.

Always loved the family favorite Fontinella, which is an
American-made Italian type cheese. Not always easy to
find here either.

And of course we do like Brie.

really really love cheese too of all types..i find a massive variety to choose from in the uk ...soft, hard, strong , mild, flavoured and so on, from large scale at the supermarket to local farmers produce...wonderful..i also love continental cheeses....so why is it that uk cheese seems to be dismissed in places like france ? you're lucky to find just one or two on the shelves.......and while i'm on my soapbox I must laugh when in france in the large supermarkets such as Carrefour have an aisle with an "English" section (never says british or uk) is about a metre in length and highlights Heinz baked beans, spaghetti hoops and hp sauce etc.....still the stereotype unfortunately.... ???

One sad thing about US cuisine I always found on my many visits was that cheese was far too bland.

I concur heartily on Cheddar erring very much on the 'Vintage' side.

I really like cheese but not allowed it - gives me a few hiccoughs when eating out as a lot of light dishes include cheese somewhere in the make up!

I always favoured Shropshire Blue but quite liked a good Stilton and of course, in Yorkshire have to have Wensleydale with the fruit cake! (Cue Peter Sallis as Wallace ...)

I like cheese too, I love 5 counties and Orkney cheese is lovely but we can't get it down here :(

Interesting. I note Orkney Cheese just got protected status:
http://www.scotsman.com/news/scotland/top-stories/orkney-cheese-gets-eu-protected-status-1-3198966.
You can probably get it mail order but expensive.

I am afraid 'Five Counties' is far too bland for me.

That's the one, I've been to Kirkwall and seen the dairy. Also seen where the service men and women were.

drooling at the thought of wensleydale cheese and fruit cake....we always have wensleydale and mums Christmas cake on Christmas day evening when we visit my parents in Yorkshire...doesn't sound like it should work but goodness me it does :)

One sad thing about US cuisine I always found on my many visits was that cheese was far too bland.

There are several really tangy cheddars made up in the north-east,
in New England states. Cabot is probably the best known and most
commercially available, but there are many other, better, tangier
cheddars, some from the upper mid-west as well. Very dry and
crumbly, these can be really great.

drooling at the thought of wensleydale cheese and fruit cake....we always have wensleydale and mums Christmas cake on Christmas day evening when we visit my parents in Yorkshire...doesn't sound like it should work but goodness me it does :)

Have you tried Teacakes and cheese toasted? mmmmmmmm :respect:

I concur heartily on Cheddar erring very much on the 'Vintage' side.

Many thanks to the US Food and Drug Administration that has a requirement for pasteurization; guaranteed to ensure blandness.

There are many restaurants that serve apple pies with a slice of sharp cheddars. Love it. I will put cheese on almost anything. After reading this topic I realize I need to try different types of cheese. I am in a rut. ::)

Anyone like poacher cheese.

This is a new one to me. Through Google I get the impression its full title is Lincolnshire Poacher Cheese.

I note there is a smoked variety which sounds interesting.

Found a website which lists stockists but only gives four in Scotland, one in St Andrews (not too far away) and three in Edinburgh, two of which are Waitrose stores. Waitrose seem to be the only 'big' supermarket which stock it. I am trying to recall where they are opening a new Waitrose in Scotland.

I am off to Edinburgh today but have far too much cheese left over in the house from a recent dinner party.

Anyone like poacher cheese.

This is a new one to me. Through Google I get the impression its full title is Lincolnshire Poacher Cheese.

I note there is a smoked variety which sounds interesting.

Found a website which lists stockists but only gives four in Scotland, one in St Andrews (not too far away) and three in Edinburgh, two of which are Waitrose stores. Waitrose seem to be the only 'big' supermarket which stock it. I am trying to recall where they are opening a new Waitrose in Scotland.

I am off to Edinburgh today but have far too much cheese left over in the house from a recent dinner party.

There would appear to be six Waitrose stores in Scotland, all central belt, Two Edinburgh, one Stirling, two Glasgow (sort of) and one Helensburgh. The last is the new one I was thinking of earlier. But only the Edinburgh two seem to stock the Poachers.

http://www.leics.gov.uk/woodfair

This is the one we go to.
It basically has every thing and any thing to do with wood. Furniture, toys, woodwork equipment and it has things like locally made foods and beers. There's a hog roast and lots burger stalls.
The toys are really good and very well made. Its a great day out for the family.

Back