Campervan Capers

Barrychuckle

Administrator
Staff member
I appreciate this isn't one of the many Campervan forums that are around, however for the first time in my life I've ordered a small vw campervan. One of my main motivations is to try and enjoy the land I've bought and it's beautiful views. I did stopover there last year in my land rover but it was too impractical and I missed the basic creature comforts!

I know there are a few of the regulars on here who have campers or motorhomes, I'd be interested to see how they find them? I have extended the invite to use the land for campers on here but as yet no takers. I fully understand this as the land is quite uneven and sometimes overgrown and completely off grid, but if I find it okay I'll perhaps extend the offer to members of the SW Facebook page.

I'm also thinking of putting a very small area of membrane with some gravel or hardcore to act as a standing and to stop the weeds, but I'm unsure how practical this is as I don't have a clue in this area.

I appreciate this isn't one of the many Campervan forums that are around, however for the first time in my life I've ordered a small vw campervan. One of my main motivations is to try and enjoy the land I've bought and it's beautiful views. I did stopover there last year in my land rover but it was too impractical and I missed the basic creature comforts!

I know there are a few of the regulars on here who have campers or motorhomes, I'd be interested to see how they find them? I have extended the invite to use the land for campers on here but as yet no takers. I fully understand this as the land is quite uneven and sometimes overgrown and completely off grid, but if I find it okay I'll perhaps extend the offer to members of the SW Facebook page.

I'm also thinking of putting a very small area of membrane with some gravel or hardcore to act as a standing and to stop the weeds, but I'm unsure how practical this is as I don't have a clue in this area.
I love looking at the vintage Vw campers. I used to work at a calender printer and VW campers was best seller

Well Barry, it may be an age thing but we think a toilet is essential even if it's just a chemical portapotty. Check out Nuventure surf & Rio models, small but useable.

There are off grid options Barry. ie, a small generator ( being an isolated spot no noise problems) or battery packs from Ecoflow or Bluetti.

There are off grid options Barry. ie, a small generator ( being an isolated spot no noise problems) or battery packs from Ecoflow or Bluetti.
Thanks I already have a porta potti as I know the importance when you reach that certain age!!
I’ve gone for a VW California as they hold their value so I can easily sell on if camping’s not for us!
I do fancy doing a pub stay where they let you stopover on their car park if you buy a meal and a few drinks

Good luck with the camper, if you need to know any specific pub stop offs especially in the Peak District let me know although there’s some good Facebook groups specifically for this purpose.
We prefer farm sites to be honest, usually no ehu with basic amenities.
I’m not sure my old boy would be up to the inclines near your land but you never know. We had a memorable trip over Holme Moss that landed us in a bit of trouble van wise resulting in a lot of smoke/ burning !
Regarding the hard standing you could dig down 150-200mm and fill with mot stone and compact it with a wacker plate or use geogrid and fill with soil/ seed or gravel.

We had Ludovics camper van & the love mobile caravan, oh & Potts in pole position tent. Any more campers in LOTSW?

Back