books

minxie

Dedicated Member
Is there a list anywhere on this site, listing Roy's books, I didn't even know about Gala week til I saw the thread. I would love to read his books, and then I can pass them onto my dad

Thanks

There are five books to my knowledge written by Roy Clarke relating to Summer Wine.

The original novel which was the basis for "Getting Sam Home" - two editions, one with Foggy replacing Blamire.

Gala Week - novel in Summer Wine Chronicles which involve Seymour
The Moonbather - novel in Summer Wine Chronicles which involve Seymour

Summer Wine Country - with text supporting (as if written by Clegg) some wonderful photographs, a hardback

The scripts of the pilot and the first series.

I think he may also have been involved with the Keeping Up Appearances book. Yes he is credited alongside Jonathan Rice.

I have long looked for books by Roy and have never discovered any others: there are other Roy Clarkes writing as well to confuse the issue!

Most are available on Amazon used at £0.01 plus postage apart from the scripts which is currently £11.99 - probably the rarest one.

Hi Minxie, I have a surplus paperback edition of Gala Week if you want it foc. If you can cancel the e-bay one it will be a pleasure. I managed to get a hardback of it.

It should be pointed out, Minxie, that only difference as far as I know with the two versions of the original is simply the word Blamire later replaced with Foggy.

In the version with Foggy, all his history, mannerisms, descriptions etc are all that of Blamire.

There are five books to my knowledge written by Roy Clarke relating to Summer Wine.

The original novel which was the basis for "Getting Sam Home" - two editions, one with Foggy replacing Blamire.

Gala Week - novel in Summer Wine Chronicles which involve Seymour
The Moonbather - novel in Summer Wine Chronicles which involve Seymour

Summer Wine Country - with text supporting (as if written by Clegg) some wonderful photographs, a hardback

The scripts of the pilot and the first series.

I think he may also have been involved with the Keeping Up Appearances book. Yes he is credited alongside Jonathan Rice.

I have long looked for books by Roy and have never discovered any others: there are other Roy Clarkes writing as well to confuse the issue!

Most are available on Amazon used at £0.01 plus postage apart from the scripts which is currently £11.99 - probably the rarest one.

I've never seen a keeping up Appearences book'Barnpot i will have to look for that
have you got it and is it any good.

Yes, it is. It's Bouquet Not Bucket contains everything you need to know about KUA. I highly recommend it. Available to order at Waterstones.

When Summer Wine came to an end, I recall Clarke mentioning that he was looking forwards to finishing a novel he had started years before, based upon his experiences as a young policeman. I really hope he does finish that.

so I took Gala week on my hols, and I just couldn't get into it, I don't know why, maybe it's cos I am so used to watching it on TV, the words were just not going in.
I shall give it to my dad to have a go!!

Shame but there you go..

Back