Book Recomendations wanted

joppyuk1

Dedicated Member
I'm new to the forum, and to following LOTSW generally, as I remember it from my youth and recently spent a week in the Yorkshire Dales with a trip to Holmfirth. I see from e-bay that there are a number of books on the series, and I'd like members suggestions on which to read. I'd particularly like pictures of Clegg's lounge, as it always seemed so cosy (and was totally different to the real house, sold recently). So, over to you all!

Welcome to the forum, From The Directors Chair by Alan Bell would be a great book to start with.

There are a number of good books out there and as Pearl said "Last of the Summer Wine from the Director's Chair" is a perfect place to start. It has many great pictures and a lot of information., However, it does not have a picture of Clegg's lounge.

Andrew Vine's book "Last of the Summer Wine" has a lot of great information, but only a small section of pictures in the middle. Again there is no picture of Clegg's lounge.

Another book with a lot of great pictures and information is "30 years of Last of the Summer Wine." But still no picture of Clegg's lounge. It was written while the series was still running, so doesn't have information on the last few years.

I also checked a little book called "The Making of the Vintage Years of Last of the Summer Wine" looking through the lens of Holmfirth photographer Malcolm Howarth. A lot of good pictures, some of the full cast and crew, but none of Clegg's lounge.

The same with "The Best of British Comedy Last of the Summer Wine" by Richard Webber. Most pictures are of cast members, and none of Clegg's lounge.

One last book I checked was "Summer Wine Country" by Roy Clarke and photographs by Paul Barker.
This book is outdoor shots of the country side and the only familiar picture is an outdoor, night shot of the café. So I don't think it's what you're looking for.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy whatever books you may decide to get even though none of them have the picture you're looking for.

Marilyn

Plenty of books listed there: one of the reasons why no photograph of Cleggy's lounge is that it would be a studio set and I think changed slightly over time. Most of the photos are location shots and the main interior is the cafe. No shots of the reading room also - same reason. Thus Michael Howarth would never have photographed a studio set as he was based in Holmfirth.

From my own database of books I have the following with date of publication:

Last of the Summer Wine: from Director's chair Alan J W Bell 2012 *
Last of the Summer Wine Andrew Vine 2010 *
The making of Last of the Summer Wine M Howarth 1990? *
30 years of Last of the Summer Wine Morris Bright & Robert Ross 2001 *
Last of the Summer Wine: the finest vintage Morris Bright & Robert Ross 2000 H (earlier version of above)
Last of the Summer Wine Richard Webber 2009 P *
Last of the Summer Wine Roy Clarke 1974 (original novel with Blamire)
Last of the Summer Wine Roy Clarke 1983 (second version with Foggy substituted)
Last of the Summer Wine - play Roy Clarke 2012 (reworking of Moonbather)
Last of the Summer Wine Scripts Roy Clarke 1976 (series one and pilot)
Summer Wine Chronicles - Gala Week Roy Clarke 1986
Summer Wine Chronicles - The Moonbather Roy Clarke 1987
Summer Wine Country Roy Clarke 1989 *

Those marked * already mentioned. The others have no pictures but give more detail.

Welcome to the forum joppyuk1 from Tennessee, USA. I must say barmpot has done a fantastic job listing the books. I had no idea there were that many. Thanks again. I have Andrew Vine's LOTSW , but haven't started it yet. Heard it was a good one. On this forum there is a question and answer with Mr. Vine that was really informative , when I was just brand new to the forum. That might be a good start while waiting on arrival of your books. Again, welcome to the forum, always nice to hear what others have to say about the show.:17:

Plenty of books listed there: one of the reasons why no photograph of Cleggy's lounge is that it would be a studio set and I think changed slightly over time. Most of the photos are location shots and the main interior is the cafe. No shots of the reading room also - same reason. Thus Michael Howarth would never have photographed a studio set as he was based in Holmfirth.

From my own database of books I have the following with date of publication:

Last of the Summer Wine: from Director's chair Alan J W Bell 2012 *
Last of the Summer Wine Andrew Vine 2010 *
The making of Last of the Summer Wine M Howarth 1990? *
30 years of Last of the Summer Wine Morris Bright & Robert Ross 2001 *
Last of the Summer Wine: the finest vintage Morris Bright & Robert Ross 2000 H (earlier version of above)
Last of the Summer Wine Richard Webber 2009 P *
Last of the Summer Wine Roy Clarke 1974 (original novel with Blamire)
Last of the Summer Wine Roy Clarke 1983 (second version with Foggy substituted)
Last of the Summer Wine - play Roy Clarke 2012 (reworking of Moonbather)
Last of the Summer Wine Scripts Roy Clarke 1976 (series one and pilot)
Summer Wine Chronicles - Gala Week Roy Clarke 1986
Summer Wine Chronicles - The Moonbather Roy Clarke 1987
Summer Wine Country Roy Clarke 1989 *

Those marked * already mentioned. The others have no pictures but give more detail.
I think Rod has all the bases covered. Well done that man

Thank you for the list Barmpot. A quick check with Suffolk libraries shows they only have the Andrew Vine book in their catalogue, so it I've put in a reservation for that one and I'll have to make inter-library requests for the others (though I can pick up some on that internet auction site).
I realise that interiors were, for the main, studio sets, but hoped there might be the odd photo around. Looks like I'll have to pause the programmes at suitable moments and take notes. The room seemed very 1940's in style, and reminded me very much of my two grandmothers houses.

You can always put the DVD on your computer, play it
till a scene you want, and take a snapshot to print.

What's the 2012 reworking of The Moonbather?

Is it the script for the play?

Yes it is the play that is quite regularly done on the amamteur stage (I saw it in Lancaster). It casts Foggy in the Seymour role and changes the story to reflect the constraints of the stage.

The tourist guide I have is called

"Welcome to Summer Wine Country" - priced 80p.

Inside it refers to the exhibition as looking back over 18 vintage years thus would be about 1990. This is when the exhibition was mainly photographs with some of Seymour's inventions and in the basement of Valley News Pictures (Hollowgate). There is also an advert for Summer Wine Country which was published in 1989.

Photographs of the cast and what i like is an advert for a high end menswear shop in Holmfirth on the opposite page too an article about Compo patronising Compo's Cafe and takeaway in Greenfield Road. Looking as if he had not shopped at the menswear shop!

Reviews of local businesses as well as write ups of the cast.

I have another edition of "Welcome to Summer WIne Country" and would be about 1996 as it refers to 24 years since "Compo first donned dirty wellies ..."

It is priced at £1.50 - a lot of inflation in six years.

I have a feeling that there were more of these, probably every year or so but i guess I may not have bought some as they would have been very similar to what i already have.

This one even has a summary of the episodes from 1972 to 1995 - but our own overview has more detail!

After some 20 years or so the cheap paper is showing its age and the images may not last for ever. The glossy colour pages will fare rather better though.

If I had known then that the series would continue and become so much loved I might have bought more - but at least I have two of them.

Back