Bleep Bleep frustrating self service tills.

Amos Hames 2

Dedicated Member
Do these get on anyone else's nerves. Particularly when the item won't scan. In our local Poundland they had a machine that said thank you for shopping in Poundland in a elvis soundalike voice. Most are card only too which is annoying as it's just another step to killing off cash.

They are becoming the normal here in aussie..
Although K-Mart in their wisdom now has the cash register in the MIDDLE of the store! Then you have to get checked and scanned as you leave.
Apparently the logic is you might see something you want to buy on your way out.
As if I'm going to queue up for 20 mins to buy my 1 item, then go through it all again cause i found a pair of undies at a bargain price.

They are becoming the normal here in aussie..
Although K-Mart in their wisdom now has the cash register in the MIDDLE of the store! Then you have to get checked and scanned as you leave.
Apparently the logic is you might see something you want to buy on your way out.
As if I'm going to queue up for 20 mins to buy my 1 item, then go through it all again cause i found a pair of undies at a bargain price.
Do they still have Coles supermarkets in Aus. I remember going in one in Brisbane in 2004

Brisbane, that takes me back too, what an amazing city going to the Gabba to watch an Ashes test is still on my bucket list. But Sydney has to be the best place on earth I've ever visited....

The ones in our Supervalu chain definitely have a bit of an attitude. If you're a bit slow in bagging your groceries I swear I can hear an impatient tone like "would you please hurry to @#*@ up!"

...and don't forget the assistants that have to come to the rescue when you're buying alcohol to verify age or because one of your items doesn't weigh correctly. If these assistants were on the checkouts instead everyone would probably get out a lot quicker :mad:

I hate them with a passion and they put people out of work. I only use them when forced..
I agree... but I've walked out before leaving a trolley full behind more than once..
When Covid hit, they actually wanted people to pack their own bags... again.. walked out.

I agree... but I've walked out before leaving a trolley full behind more than once..
When Covid hit, they actually wanted people to pack their own bags... again.. walked out.
My local waitrose has 5 sit down tills but staff are aways eager to usher you to the self service ones

What if people want cigarettes or lottery tickets?
You have to either find a staff member who's stacking the shelves or wait until they come out from the back. Although it has 6 aisles I've never seen more than 2 members of staff at anytime.....

Back