Beamish open air museum

amos hames

Dedicated Member
Last october i went to the beamish open air museum in county durham.Much to my delight during my vist i realised that it was used for a lot of scenes of first of the summer wine including the tram scenes.the band stand and a couple of houses used in night scenes when Compo had to fight Chunkey Liversey in the park.I was wondering if any one else had visited the museum well worth a visit.

www.beamish.org.uk

;D Went a couple of years ago, mate well worth the trek from Notts. Waiting for some fine weather and a local coach co to go again. ;)

As i live quite near Beamish i have been quite a few times mostly school trips but have been with my children. It really is a lovely place. I remember going with my grandparents once and my grandad who was a former miner, telling loads of people about how he used to crawl along the coal face to get to the end of the seam. He then spoiled a brilliant but claustrophobic story by saying he lost a load of mates in a blast. It really was a dangerous job.

I went there years ago, but it is a useful site with a lot of historic buildings and equipment.

I did wonder whether the tram scenes were from there or from Crich, Derbyshire where the tram museum is.

But the cinema was the Hyde Park, in Leeds - which was still in use the last time I looked.

Yes it is a wonderful place have visited many times over the last twenty years,each time something new to see. The museum is always building something new ,last week on tv they showed the building of a fish and chip shop with traditional equipment the food looked great.I like the trams and trolleybuses and the railway station.The band stand is a fine example of its kind ,would you like the dentist to take your teeth out.The COOP shop I dont think was there?

Yes Chris the fish and chip shop is great some of the best i have had its called Daves fish and chips and its made in fryers of the time.Not sure if there is a pic on
the website link i posted.

I was there for the Steam gala last week and I don't think I've every seen the place so bustling and exciting. They're currently doing a bit of an expansion, with a new church opening near the manor house and some new building being added to the high street.

They now have an ex Blackpool No 605 on two years loan ,it has been restored to its 1934 condition an interesting vahicle to ride on,take your brolly though!

We first went to Beamish soon after it had opened. They were still using the Beamish Hall as part of the museum, the dentist and doctor were in there. The giant steam hammer which is over the road at the entrance was just sitting in the grounds. My cousin Jim was involved with creating the 'mine'. Beamish was used recently for the drama 'Joe Maddisons War'. It is one of the best open air museums in the country.

Back