Frank's old song sums it up

The falling leaves
Drift by the window
The autumn leaves
Of red and gold

The days grow long
And soon I'll hear
Old winter's song

The weather of the last few days offer false hope maybe, but you wonder what sort of winter we will endure this year.

Frank's old song sums it up

The falling leaves
Drift by the window
The autumn leaves
Of red and gold

The days grow long
And soon I'll hear
Old winter's song

The weather of the last few days offer false hope maybe, but you wonder what sort of winter we will endure this year.
Good Day to you Captain. I'm so glad you printed the first few lines of Autumn Leaves, I've been singing the wrong words for years. I thought it was,

The Autumn leaves
Louse up my garden:cry2:
The autumn leaves
Of mucky brown. :frown2:

Since you went away
The days grow long:confused:

Now I always thought the days got shorter in Autumn.:fp:

Suppose because the weather perhaps forces you to be indoors more in Autumn time drags and they seem like longer days, whereas on Summer days they seem oh so short because you don't realise how long you have actually been out and you just want to stay out and enjoy it more. It especially applies to kids because when young there was always a curfew of sorts recall the toe curling shouts of your Mother demanding you go in and the resultant protests of no avail.

Last edited:
When I was working I hated the winter months and getting dark so early, in my later working years I was driving for my work over a large area of the north, and at 6pm having the pleasure of maybe a 150 mile drive home on a wet or foggy night was not much fun

It certainly can be spirit lowering with the shorter daylight hours in the winter time. That when you leave for work in the morning it is dark. Then when you head for home in the evening it is dark as well. Not sure if the UK does a 'daylight saving' time change thingy as well as the US does - move the clock forward an hour in the Spring and back an hour in the Fall. Some like it, some don't.

Yes Rick, the UK does do that daylight saving thing. We can't be very far now from "fall-back" when at least one gets an extra hour in the day.
I used to hate both leaving for work and getting home in the dark, having to take my shoes off on the doorstep as never quite sure what I might have trodden in.

Yes Rick, the UK does do that daylight saving thing. We can't be very far now from "fall-back" when at least one gets an extra hour in the day.
I used to hate both leaving for work and getting home in the dark, having to take my shoes off on the doorstep as never quite sure what I might have trodden in.

27th Oct I think the clocks change

Back