Aunties Prices

Barrychuckle

Administrator
Staff member
Whilst we can gather that Auntie Wainwright almost certainly charges top dollar for her goods of questionable quality, I cannot recall an episode where we actually know the price she sold an item for. Can anyone enlighten me if this is the case?

I've noticed this thing about money and actual amounts on soaps and serial comedies. Money is part of life but amounts are very rarely mentioned. They'll discuss a job or a sale and the questions regarding the amount are always met with "oh we'll come up with something" or "I'll get back to you" etc etc. Strange.
Come on brainpots let us know what you think. I'm looking at Chuckle here.

In one of Roy Clarke's other shows money/prices are frequently mentioned . In Open All Hours as Arkwright is fleecing his Customers prices are constantly mentioned and money is handed to Arkwright but very little change comes back the other way . The funniest aspect to me is the till , no not the grabbing drawer but the amount of money being run up it never shows the real cost of what is being charged . I know this is a prop because the money drawer snapping shut is someone pulling a string so in essence being a prop , pressing the keys just brings up random figures in the display window.

I assume in OAH Roy wanted to put more emphasis on the money grabbing side than he did on LOTSW .

Okay I think with OAHs and with Auntie the money amounts are relevant and crucial to the character but money amounts which in normal everyday life are mentioned are very often not. I've definitely noticed it and said to myself while watching something, why do they often not mention prices and amounts because in real life you bet ya top dollar (see what i did there :fp:) they would :36:

She charged the lady who thought her husband was looking for more than earthquakes 30 bob for the hire of a bicycle at the "winter rate" which included the free hire of a waterproof hat...she actually complemented the lady [believe it or not !!!!]....she said " I SEE YOU KNOW THE VALUE OF A PENNY".
X!

Back