Arkwrights Shop

I think Terry has, it’s a hairdresser’s I’m lead to believe

There is a bit on C5 , one of the series of documentaries about top comedy shows . Open all Hours : 50 years of comedy is on the Channel 5 Iplayer might be worth a watch Amos.

Like Aunties you wonder what the cost was to convert the premises for filming and then return it to original for every series they filmed cannot have been cheap. I wonder if anything was left as a memento at either location perhaps more likely at the Hairdressers than the house.

Like Aunties you wonder what the cost was to convert the premises for filming and then return it to original for every series they filmed cannot have been cheap. I wonder if anything was left as a memento at either location perhaps more likely at the Hairdressers than the house.
I know with Aunties they were very good at removing everything and putting the place back to normal, this was twice a year

BBC budgets must be pretty decent as I'm guessing the hairdressers used for Arkwrights shop must have been compensated for a few weeks loss of business at the very least.

BBC budgets must be pretty decent as I'm guessing the hairdressers used for Arkwrights shop must have been compensated for a few weeks loss of business at the very least.
Could customers enter through the back while filming was taking place? In Google Streetview, if you walk around the corner there's an entrance to a yard, and in the current photo you can see an open door leading into the building. It would be an awkward, unattractive way in, but better than closing completely. The only way for the tenants to access the upstairs flat, except through the business, would be via the exterior door on Lister Avenue. I wonder how the BBC compensated them for cutting them off from their home!

Like our show its hard to tell what is a studio scene and one shot on location but there are scenes in OAH and SOAH that are set in the back yard of the shop so perhaps the BBC simply compensated the owners to cover the lost business and a bit more . With the cash they could probably locate to a nice Hotel for the duration of the filming and restoration of the property to the Hairdressers , who knows perhaps they stayed in the B & B where Arkwright and Nurse Gladys went for a night away that way they could, armed with binoculars, they could keep an eye on their business :)

Could customers enter through the back while filming was taking place? In Google Streetview, if you walk around the corner there's an entrance to a yard, and in the current photo you can see an open door leading into the building. It would be an awkward, unattractive way in, but better than closing completely. The only way for the tenants to access the upstairs flat, except through the business, would be via the exterior door on Lister Avenue. I wonder how the BBC compensated them for cutting them off from their home!
I recall in a behind the scenes programme about OAH the hairdresser said they take over her shop and she goes on holiday for a fortnight. Probably paid for by the licence payer!!!

Back