Another one gone - Gordon Kaye

.............. Yet another stalwart from the golden age of comedy sadly passes away . He will, of course, always be remembered for Rene Artois but also as Maynard Lavery who hosted the show Compo did his Maurice Chevalier impression on, he also appeared in the soaps , notably Coronation Street . He was of course extremely fortunate to survive a horrendous car accident in which he suffered severe head injuries but he did return to play his beloved Rene . A Sad loss !

Another sad loss, I was lucky enough to see twice the stage production of Allo Allo many years ago in London, what a fun night RIP

A shame that we have lost another fine actor. I also see the stage show some years ago. Am I right in saying that Maynard Lavery is an Anagram of something or someone?

Can not think of any local news presenters who wore a wig - names in the past would include Peter Levy, Clare Frisby, Christa Ackroyd, Mike Morris, Richard Whiteley and Harry Gration - on BBC or ITV. No wigs there.

Sad news indeed. I really enjoyed his acting and the character Rene in 'Allo 'Allo. A classic comedy with lots of laughs. One of my all time favorite shows. I affectionately think of the show as a pleasant blend of humor similar to Fawlty Towers and Hogan's Heroes combined together.

And he was from Huddersfield as well!!

Yes, I hadn't realized this until seeing the news about his passing. It surprises me he only appeared once on LOTSW.

I really loved 'Allo' Allo and hope to own it on video someday, even if the later series weren't as good. Such a well written comedy with brilliant characters and acting. When Kaye did the 'Allo 'Allo reunion special several years ago he still seemed in very good form.

Gordon was a great actor I reckon.... Loved Allo Allo, and even the Return of episode, which was ... interesting...

another great star gone...

Back