American tv shows

Lost was confusion centrel I think :D
My husband would come home from work half way though it and would say "Do you know whats happening yet? "

Every one goes on about the show called 24 i must be the only person who has never seen it.

No Amos, I've never seen it either it was on when Lost was on and I only had time to be confused by one program at that time and Lost filled that in nicely for me ;D

I can't believe how many programmes confuse me these days. I never used to be left this bewildered when I was younger!

It's not you Rhi, it's them

Again all apropos of nothing, just caught episode of Cheers - one of the earlier ones with Shelley Long as Diane Chambers. Joy was guest star Glynis Johns. Great TV comedy show, great stars. They don't make them like that any more. Did not realise Glynis is still alive, aged 89.

I grew up in Western Pennsylvania, so we root for the Steelers. However, over the last few years I have been getting in to soccer(with the Olympics and all) and rugby.
I have a good friend who is from New Castle Australia and he got me into the Rugby deal. Taught me cricket as well (that is fun to play in the backyard)
There was a match between the South Sydney Rabbitoh's and the Leeds Rhinos in Jacksonville Florida and we went. I loved it!!! Super fast paced, I liked that, you would definitely need a DVR :). I also couldn't believe when someone would get hurt they would just keep on playing and just basically play around them.

There was a match between the South Sydney Rabbitoh's and the Leeds Rhinos in Jacksonville Florida and we went. I loved it!!! Super fast paced, I liked that, you would definitely need a DVR :). I also couldn't believe when someone would get hurt they would just keep on playing and just basically play around them.

In case you are unaware Leeds Rhinos play Rugby League a 13 man team variant. There is also Rugby Union which has a 15 man team. In UK it is Union which has the greater following. Until quite recently League was confined to the north of England but has now spread a bit. Rules of the two variants are significantly different. And, of course, Australia has yet another game, Aussie Rules Football which has 18 man teams on the park at any one time (total of 22 in a team).

If you're getting into cricket fsj1981 have a watch of the I.P.L. It's the Indian Premiere League and runs during April and May. You can get live streaming during the matches. It's one of the best versions of the game. Or at least I love it! I also love a real 5 day test match, especially when we're playing the West Indies. They're such a great cricketing nation. So is Pakistan, I love watching Pakistan play, they bring such energy to the game.

we have been watching a lot more US TV in the last year,the UK offerings are so bad

And here we are in the US watching only UK shows. We download
Lewis, HIGNFY, Geo Gently, Doctor Who, and New Tricks currently,
and have a huge collection of many more. Really love our
collection of Born and Bred, Morse, Dad's Army, Heartbeat,
The Royal, Mrs Bradley, Hetty Wainthrop, Doctor Finlay,
Poirot, etc etc.

Only US shows in my collection are MASH and West Wing.

Mega dittos. Also Canadian home improvement shows (Holmes on Homes, etc.) on HGTV. Also "All Creatures Great and Small."

I am enjoying a new show on FX called the Americans. It's about a sleeper cell of Soviet spies circa 1980's Washington, DC area and how they took on personas of typical middle class Americans. Good acting, good writing. Great look at how the spy biz worked during the 80's. (I'm kind of a spy buff having read a lot of true spy stories about Robert Hanssen, Aldrich Ames, the Walker spy ring, Cambridge Five, etc.).

If you like spies, I highly recommend it.

A few things to add:
I don't watch a lot of American TV, but I like The Big Bang Theory, and Duck Dynasty. I also watch HGTV with a lot of the purchasing homes programs. As for the NFL, I am from south of Cleveland, but am not a Browns fan. My parents are from Buffalo so we root for the Bill

I have watched American tv for about 23 years when I lived in Canada. Up to the late 1970's tv was fantastic and comedies were funny etc. After that it went down hill at full speed. I prefer anything British.............

I have watched American tv for about 23 years when I lived in Canada. Up to the late 1970's tv was fantastic and comedies were funny etc. After that it went down hill at full speed. I prefer anything British.............
Would that be the "dumbing down " that happened in Britain in the 90s?? ;)

I did enjoy Corner Gas from Canada,I wonder why could it be it had older folk, sarcasm,a Cafe,two policemen who were idiots

Believe me that the Americans had fantastic shows. But later on the canned laughter was more prominent than the actors lines. Even detective shows were good than it began to be all shooting and killing. Once they did a study on how how times a gun was shot in one series alone.

Believe me that the Americans had fantastic shows. But later on the canned laughter was more prominent than the actors lines. Even detective shows were good than it began to be all shooting and killing. Once they did a study on how how times a gun was shot in one series alone.

Which was your fave Detective show Compo

Hello Amos, just got in we were out doing the weekly shopping etc.

My favourite detective shows were:

Barretta and his Cockatoo
McMillan and wife
Charlie's Angels
Colombo
and a few others but my least favourite was Kojak....

Hello Amos, just got in we were out doing the weekly shopping etc.

My favourite detective shows were:

Barretta and his Cockatoo
McMillan and wife
Charlie's Angels
Colombo
and a few others but my least favourite was Kojak....

Never heard of the top one.

Back